Water Rocket Newbie !

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Newbie !

Post by JPGraphX »

Hi!

First my name is Jean-Philippe Guérin, from Quebec, Canada. I'm an almost graduated mechanical engineer. For no reason, I fell on water rocket subject on google and from that moment, I'm very interested in improving a rocket I've built.

My first model was a 1.5L with a second reverse 1.5L on top. I've run into leak problem, that should be corrected now. It flied something like 40-50 feet and this is a poor result for a water rocket, so I need to optimize it. Hard part for me is to find a simple and effective way to deploy my parachute. I know about the tiny timer or the aerodynamic flap (something call like this). I'm also working on my launch station.. I want to be able to launch it from a certain distance, because I want to get more and more pressure in my bottle ;) !

One last question I have for now, is; Everybody talk about Soda Bottle, but mine is from Water Bottle.. still PET and still 1.5L... should be same resistance no?

Thanks,

JPGraphX
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water Rocket Newbie !

Post by Blenderite »

I would like to see some pictures of your rockets, if you can. Sounds like it might be interesting.

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Thanks for your interest, I'm going to send pictures probably tomorrow. I'm doing a new one beause first one was a 1.5L from a water bottle, seems it doesn't hold pressure well. Unfortunately, there's no 1.5L of Coca-cola here in Quebec, only 2L. Should I made 2 x 2L or only one 2L ?

I'm going to start a thread to show my work.

Thanks,
JP
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

JPGraphX wrote:Hi!

First my name is Jean-Philippe Guérin, from Quebec, Canada. I'm an almost graduated mechanical engineer. For no reason, I fell on water rocket subject on google and from that moment, I'm very interested in improving a rocket I've built.

My first model was a 1.5L with a second reverse 1.5L on top. I've run into leak problem, that should be corrected now. It flied something like 40-50 feet and this is a poor result for a water rocket, so I need to optimize it. Hard part for me is to find a simple and effective way to deploy my parachute. I know about the tiny timer or the aerodynamic flap (something call like this). I'm also working on my launch station.. I want to be able to launch it from a certain distance, because I want to get more and more pressure in my bottle ;) !

One last question I have for now, is; Everybody talk about Soda Bottle, but mine is from Water Bottle.. still PET and still 1.5L... should be same resistance no?

Thanks,

JPGraphX
Was the water that came in the bottle carbonated? It makes a difference in the bottle construction. Non-carbonated drinks are usually packaged using thinner (and weaker) bottles. Rockets constructed using the thinner bottles will not hold as much pressure as rockets constructed using carbonated beverage bottles. Also rockets make from the weaker bottles will be lighter (not having enough mass to "glide") and may also be too flexible. All add up to less altitude. :(
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Well, WRA2 it seems you pinpoint my problem !! And by the way, nice to talk to forum admin! ;)
My bottle was a non-carbonated water.. and very flexible.. tends to react like a balloon under pressure .. !

I'm starting from beginning with 1 or 2, 2L coca-cola bottle. But I would like to know if the gain of power and altitude justify to make a double bottle or not ..

Thanks again!
JP
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

** Sorry for my not so good english ;)
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Here's my topic for my new project.. http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 754#p12754
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

JPGraphX wrote:** Sorry for my not so good english ;)
No worries. We understand you perfectly.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Azriel
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Azriel »

JPGraphX wrote:** Sorry for my not so good english ;)
No worries mate, French to English isn't too bad of a translation. Nothing like Russian or an Asian language to English