Best launcher for FTC?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Best launcher for FTC?

Post by Asupremeflight »

I am looking to build an FTC rocket and was wondering what type of launcher would be best suited for the job? (Clark, gardina, pull pin type?) which is the preferred method of the pros? Btw. Happy New Year. May your new year bring lots of success and recoveries.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Best launcher for FTC?

Post by Asupremeflight »

Okay. I am thinking to just build a launcher to accommodate all types of rockets. It will be modular so I can fly all of my rockets off of one launcher. I will modify my current launcher to accept gardena nozzles and full throat nozzles. I will just have 3 launch tube configurations. 1 gardina type one Clark type and another Clark type with a long launch tube for FTC and larger rockets. I'll just have to unscrew the tubes and /or gardina quick connect and put on a different one.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

I have fitted a 9 mm Gardena Nozzle to my FTC. Took some practice to get it airtight, but now its rather reliable. Later i enlarged the nozzle to 10 mm and used a fitting launchtube. Problem is the high acceleration with 10 mm, so the rocketbody suffers from strong bending during the acceleration phase.

You can see it well in my Video here:

[youtube][/youtube]

The launcher is really easy to build: A small piece of wood, a bent metal part with a hole, where the Gardena-coupler fits in. Pressure Hose attached like a normal water hose, and the release line fixed with some cable ties. I usually bolt the launcher to the ground with some tent hooks or large Nails, so it cant tip over.

All the equipment fits in a large bag and i can carry it on my bike, if necessary.
See here:

[youtube][/youtube]

regards

Yossarian
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Nice rocket. Have you ever tried to launch that full throat, ( with no nozzle ) and a 1/2 inch PVC pipe for a launch tube?
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Also, how did you mold your bulkheads? Any reinforcements?
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Asupremeflight wrote:I am looking to build an FTC rocket and was wondering what type of launcher would be best suited for the job? (Clark, gardina, pull pin type?) which is the preferred method of the pros? Btw. Happy New Year. May your new year bring lots of success and recoveries.
We use full throat nozzles made from bottles. The bulkheads are simple to make using long neck soda bottles which can be shrunk over a wooden form which was custom made from a large dowel. The launcher for these rockets is the same sort of cable tie launcher that you would build to launch full bore water bottle rockets. You don't need to modify anything to launch these rockets, unless you start to reinforce them for really high pressures.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Is it just PL premium only then to bond the 2 together or do you have to reinforce the splice like when splicing the 2 ltr bottles together? Do you have to/can you curl the FTC to form a seal?
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

Asupremeflight wrote:Also, how did you mold your bulkheads? Any reinforcements?
Actually, the nozzle is gardena, firstly, because i like the reliability of their hose couplings (pressure tested to 21 bar ~ 300 psi) and i prefer smaller nozzles, giving it more a rocket flight behaviour instead of a cannon shooting off a bullet.

The nozzle fits in the T-8 FTC with some grinding work. A good epoxy resin holds the pressure, although i ´ve reinforced it with a ring of PET-material on the outside, glued on with PUR-Glue.

The upper bulkhead consist of a normal bottle tap, glued in and another cap, which i found to be fitting around. both glued in with PUR.

Keep in mind, that FTC-material is polycarbonate, which has a tendency to develop fissures or cracks, something hardly occuring with PET. So no drilling holes in the rocket body.

regards

Yossarian
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Asupremeflight wrote:Is it just PL premium only then to bond the 2 together or do you have to reinforce the splice like when splicing the 2 ltr bottles together? Do you have to/can you curl the FTC to form a seal?
The only real reason to reinforce an FTC would be to get more than about 160PSI in it. At any greater pressure, the tube itself will shatter.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison