Introducing...Corojo

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Introducing...Corojo

Post by Asupremeflight »

My newest rocket.
[youtube][/youtube]

Had an interesting time with this one.
I had to launch it with only 60 psi due to several issues but she launched at least.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Introducing...Corojo

Post by Brian »

That stepped launch tube kept it straight. What is the rockets volume?
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Absolutely! It would have just tipped over with a Gardena launch. He rocket is about 8 Ltrs. I had roughly 3 Ltrs of water for fuel.

I tried several different methods of filling with water and all were a pita. The tolerances of the rubber rings and tube were tight to the point that the water would just stay in the top bottle.. I bet if I started to pressurize it like that the water would have eventually made it's way to the bottom. I had to constantly squeeze each bottle the water was in to move it to the next. Like milking a cow. That took longer than I would have liked.

What is the secret?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

So what if you drilled small holes in the side of your launch tube? The water could fill from the bottom up.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Right now I fill water from the opening in the top of the rocket. my launcher is not set up to fill water. I havealso tried filling from the bottom then slide the launchtube into rocket. I lose alot of water that way.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I should mention that the top of my launch tube is capped. Holes drilled for air.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:I should mention that the top of my launch tube is capped. Holes drilled for air.
I was going to say, even if you poured into the launch tube from the top, holes would ...but yeah the cap shuts that down.

Alright, I got it. You're gonna have to build yourself a centerfuge that spins the rocket while you fill it up with water. Then once the water is loaded, insert the launch rod (which would also have to be spinning to prevent melting the bottles. Then once it is fully inserted, you can stop the spinning and transfer it to the launch pad! :-)

Still, that would be cool to see...

Or maybe fill the rocket with extra water before loading it on the launcher?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

With our stepped launch tube we would fill the bottom of the rocket before sliding it on and then assemble the upper sections. That worked well.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Lol at Bug.
That is how I ended up doing it. Still a pain. Still better than a guide rail.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I found today the ultimate hose washer to fit into the tornado tubes in order to hold pressure and also allow space to fill water. I have been using the red rubber type hose washers that you can find anywhere. They are junk when you bore them out to fit the stepped launcher, they will grab onto the launch tube (even with lube) and separate from the bottle and coupler. The new ones I found have an i.d. Bigger than the stepped tube so it slides on nicely and water will pass without problems.

It was funny. I went to 3 different stores and all only carried the red rubber ones and ones that I would have to bore out. I wanted to not have to bore it out if possible. Then at the 4th store I found what I was looking for inside an industrial strength hose. The funny thing is that out of the 10-15 hoses like that there were only 2 with that washer. I asked the owner of the store where I could get more and he said he had no idea. But that I could go ahead and take the ones I found. "Sweet" so when I got home I did a quick search online for these things and the very 1st site I found had the exact ones.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Garden ... y-10-5RLN6

I know it is just a hose washer what is so great about them? Well after what I was going through trying to launch Corojo this was a major breakthrough for me. I now call these washers "The Magical Washers" it's all about the inside diameter.

BTW for our hobby you really can't beat the local hardware store. Those large chains can stick it. ( well except for where I get my FTC from.)
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

It turns out the picture on the website was outdated. They came in and are exactly the same as the red ones only black. New ones found on amazon and are on the way . We shall see.