Simultaneous Launch Record

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Simultaneous Launch Record

Post by bugwubber »

I noticed there's no rules or active forum for this.

Also Guinness has this entry:

The most water rockets launched simultaneously is 443 and was achieved by students at Teylingen College in Noordwijkerhout, Netherlands, on 18 November 2011.

495 rockets were set up but 52 failed to launch within the 5 second time frame allowed for the record attempt.

Does WRA2 have anything to do with this record?

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Simultaneous Launch Record

Post by bugwubber »

Reason I ask, I was thinking about doing it but was surprised to find that Guinness had a newer much larger record.

Also I saw that the rocket launchers appeared to be hand held.

So just trying to get some clarification on it.

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

bugwubber wrote:Reason I ask, I was thinking about doing it but was surprised to find that Guinness had a newer much larger record.

Thanks,

Bugwubber

Thanks for finding that Robert,

I wasn't aware that someone beat Gottalaunch. I'll have to update the page when I get a chance.

To answer your question. No the WRA2 does not administer the simultaneous launch record. That record is just the kind that Guinness specializes in. It is more of a "group organization" record. Very similar to "how many people can fit into a Volkswagen" or "the record for the biggest birthday cake". They like those kind of records that are easy for them (and low cost) to verify. They are in the business of selling books and making a profit. A team could get 500 people together and build rudimentary launchers and launch "bare bottles" (no fins or nosecone) at 30 PSI and still qualify.

We only posted it because one of our teams was holding it and it was water rocket related.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

WRA2 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:Reason I ask, I was thinking about doing it but was surprised to find that Guinness had a newer much larger record.

Thanks,

Bugwubber

I wasn't aware that someone beat Gottalaunch. I'll have to update the page when I get a chance.

To answer your question. No the WRA2 does not administer the simultaneous launch record. That record is just the kind that Guinness specializes in. It is more of a "group organization" record. Very similar to "how many people can fit into a Volkswagen" or "the record for the biggest birthday cake". They like those kind of records that are easy for them (and low cost) to verify. They are in the business of selling books and making a profit. A team could get 500 people together and build rudimentary launchers and launch "bare bottles" (no fins or nosecone) at 30 PSI and still qualify.

We only posted it because one of our teams was holding it and it was water rocket related.
Thanks! Just means I'm gonna have to scale up my plans! I'll let you know how it goes.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

bugwubber wrote:
WRA2 wrote:

Thanks,

Bugwubber

Thanks! Just means I'm gonna have to scale up my plans! I'll let you know how it goes.
It's on!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Interesting, a new simultaneous launch record may have been set in 2012. Although not in the main Guinness site, on their Google+ site is this post:

(Dan) Making science fun! - The most water rockets launched simultaneously is 693 and was achieved by students at Shap Pat Heung Rural Committee Kung Yik She Secondary School in Tin Shui Wai, Hong Kong.

Looks like they actually made rockets too, not just bare bottles.

Well, I've contact Guinness so will see what they have to say about it in 4 weeks or so.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Here's the record as of today according to the email I just received from Guinness:

"The current record (current as at the date of this letter) is: The most water rockets launched simultaneously is 693 and was achieved by students at Shap Pat Heung Rural Committee Kung Yik She Secondary School in Tin Shui Wai, Hong Kong, on 10 December 2011. "

I noticed the previous record only lasted 1 month!

The most water rockets launched simultaneously is 443 and was achieved by students at Teylingen College in Noordwijkerhout, Netherlands, on 18 November 2011.
(This is still showing as the record on their main site)

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:Here's the record as of today according to the email I just received from Guinness:

"The current record (current as at the date of this letter) is: The most water rockets launched simultaneously is 693 and was achieved by students at Shap Pat Heung Rural Committee Kung Yik She Secondary School in Tin Shui Wai, Hong Kong, on 10 December 2011. "

I noticed the previous record only lasted 1 month!

(This is still showing as the record on their main site)

Bugwubber
Their definition of "Simultaneous" is pretty loose. Not good.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Well, here's a little controversy for you....

Quoted from the documents they sent me:
DEFINITION OF RECORD
This record is for the greatest number of people launching water rockets at a single venue. (emphasis mine)
This record can be attempted by an unlimited group of people.
This record is measured by the total number of rockets launched simultaneously.

A water rocket is defined as a type of model rocket that uses water as its reaction mass. The pressure
vessel— the engine of the rocket—is usually a used plastic soft drink bottle. The water is forced out by a
pressurized gas, typically compressed air.

SPECIFIC GUIDELINES FOR ‘MOST WATER ROCKETS LAUNCHED
SIMULTANEOUSLY’
1. Water rockets can be shop bought or home made.
2. Each person must launch their rocket manually.
3. Simultaneously in this case means within a five second window from the instant
of the first launch.

4. Only rockets that are successfully launched will count towards the total.
5. The number of participants taking part must be supplied in the claim along with
a total number of successful launches.
6. A full length DVD/Video of the attempt must be provided.

So which are they measuring, number of people or launched rockets? If number of people, I think Teylingen is still ahead because the school in China used multi-rocket launchers. One thing is clear- they are ruling out electronic releases. Rule 2 states it must be manual launch.
Attachments
69108 - Most water rockets launched simultaneously 10.pdf
(199.97 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

bugwubber wrote:Well, here's a little controversy for you....

DEFINITION OF RECORD
This record is for the greatest number of people launching water rockets at a single venue. (emphasis mine)

A water rocket is defined as a type of model rocket that uses water as its reaction mass. The pressure
vessel— the engine of the rocket—is usually a used plastic soft drink bottle. The water is forced out by a

SIMULTANEOUSLY’
3. Simultaneously in this case means within a five second window from the instant
of the first launch.

5. The number of participants taking part must be supplied in the claim along with

So which are they measuring, number of people or launched rockets? If number of people, I think Teylingen is still ahead because the school in China used multi-rocket launchers. One thing is clear- they are ruling out electronic releases. Rule 2 states it must be manual launch.
The most PEOPLE launching water rockets at the same time (that says it all).

THAT is why they need to know how many people participated and also why the launchers have to be manual and that multi launchers are not desirable. They are keeping a record for "how many people are doing an activity at the same time". (could just as easily be "how many people can throw a tennis ball in the air at the same time" and not be much different). So if you are one person or small group, you have no chance at it.

The 5 seconds is a little generous too.

A better set of rules would be to drop the time limit down to 2 seconds or less, allow electronic/mechanical multiple launchers and maybe have a sub category of "most water rockets launched simultaneously by ONE PERSON.
Lisa Walker,
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

DEFINITION OF RECORD

SIMULTANEOUSLY’
of the first launch.

Wow, that rules set totally SUCKS. Who came up with these "rules"?

The first thing they need to do is change the name of the record to "Most individual people each manually releasing a water rocket within a 5 second time span." That's what they are measuring.

They need to change over to a model for their contest that's more like the WRA2, where the people who are participating have a voice in what the contest is and what the rules are. Their system is like a dictatorship!

Here's a more interesting set of rules:

1) Any number of people can participate. The number of ROCKETS is what counts.
2) Rockets can be released in any manner that the participants choose.
3) Record is measured by the number of rockets simultaneously in flight at the same time.

By their rules it does look like the current winner is in violation. So, it looks like their record validation team didn't even read their own rules.

This is very disappointing.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

What do you expect? They just want to make more money from records. Obscure records like water rockets won't sell many books because not many people will care.

If one guy launches 1000 rockets at once with a super launcher and sets the new record, they might sell 5 books to the guy and his 4 close relatives who want to see his name in print.

If they make the rule so you need 1000 people with a rocket to set the record, they sell 5,000 books: one to each participant and their each 4 family members who all want to see their record in print.

It is a money making scam!
Bill W.
Team Seneca
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:

DEFINITION OF RECORD

SIMULTANEOUSLY’
of the first launch.

Wow, that rules set totally SUCKS. Who came up with these "rules"?

The first thing they need to do is change the name of the record to "Most individual people each manually releasing a water rocket within a 5 second time span." That's what they are measuring.

They need to change over to a model for their contest that's more like the WRA2, where the people who are participating have a voice in what the contest is and what the rules are. Their system is like a dictatorship!

Here's a more interesting set of rules:

1) Any number of people can participate. The number of ROCKETS is what counts.
2) Rockets can be released in any manner that the participants choose.
3) Record is measured by the number of rockets simultaneously in flight at the same time.

By their rules it does look like the current winner is in violation. So, it looks like their record validation team didn't even read their own rules.

This is very disappointing.

So here's the $100 question- how do you verify rockets simultaneously in the air? If they all have parachutes, the launch window could be much larger than 5sec.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

bugwubber wrote: So here's the $100 question- how do you verify rockets simultaneously in the air? If they all have parachutes, the launch window could be much larger than 5sec.
They watch the video and count how many leave the launchers within the 5 second window :coffee: . The rocket could fly 3 feet and crash :stars: but would still count in their eyes as a successful launch. :weird: How long the rocket is in the air is immaterial to them. The 5 second window is to launch the rockets. They all don't need to be in the air at the same time, only launch. SC:
Lisa Walker,
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

So if I were to set up a manual launch system that held 500 rockets, and they all worked, would I hold this record all by myself?
"Houston, we've had a problem..."