Launcer & pump recommendations

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Launcer & pump recommendations

Post by Flash »

Just getting started in water, been up to Level 2 in solid fuel rockets. (TRA 10848) I'm looking to work with single bottles starting out.

Any thoughts about the Big Foot Plus Launch system at: http://www.h2orocket.com/topic/littlefo ... tplus.html
Also a question on hand pump recommendations please. What would be a good hand pump recommendation? The website above recommends $100 type which looks great as compared to the Walmart type at around 20.00.

AntiGravity Research Corporation uses another type of pump with a reservoir on it and their pump is allot cheaper.

How about electric car tire pumps that run on 12VDC?

Thank you!
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Launcer & pump recommendations

Post by Asupremeflight »

Zefal hand pump at walmart goes to 200 psi. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zefal-Air-Max ... 0/14264315
Works great for getting to 200 psi but I always start with this
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 780445_0_0_

There's $100 and I know it works. However not sure how one would get over 200 psi without scuba gear.( I'm sure it can be done though not sure how)
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Also launchers are too easy to build yourself to justify paying for someone else's. As long as you use the common sense approach to safety you can build a great launcher that can withstand all kinds of launch pressures and rockets. There are tons of YouTube videos out there that will show you step by step how to create decent launchers but you can use the info to create even better ones to suit your wants and needs.

Good luck and have fun.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Also don't expect those cheap 12v compressors that say they can get to 250 psi. Lucky to get 80 psi ONCE!!! Then it's toast. There a joke.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Flash »

Thank you for your input. So the Autozone compressure will hold up pretty well I guess?
Thanks again,
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

It has for me. 125psi no problems. Then use the manual pump to get to 200
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Also on the mv-50 off road enthusiasts rave about the quality. Even though they are only going up to maybe 80 psi they do that all the time. I push mine to 125and so far no issues. And I was doing that in 5,10, 20 degree weather. Perhaps when it gets hotter I will have to cool it down some but it only takes a minute or 2 to get a 9 ltr rocket to 125.

As far as the hand pump I too was looking at the Lezine (sp?) I just could not justify the $100 price tag. With the walmart Zefal I have 5 launches to 200 so far and zero issues. For $20 you can't beat the price. I could see some issues if I were only using the hand pump to fill the rockets to capacity with friction build upa hose could burst. But replacement parts are fairly inexpensive and I would think if you kept the reciept walmart would stand behind it. Heck you could probably even upgrade the rubber hose for a steel braided one if you could find a Parker store nearby.

Good luck.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Flash »

10 4
I got the MV-50 coming, hope to do my first launches next week. So far I have found prices on the Lezine cnc pump in the
$69 range, I'm going with that one since I have a few dollars in my pocket for the first time in about a year. I normally would go with the Zefal any other time. I do plan on working with day care kids here at my school which will put some extra work on the equipment as compared to just me using it.
Thank you so much for your imput!!!
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry