Intoducation

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
coyotewes

Intoducation

Post by coyotewes »

Hey all,
I'm not really new to the water rocket addiction having worked with Boy Scouts in other areas many times on this but... I've moved to a new town and have two boys 11 & 9 and want to introduce them to the fun. We've joined the local Boy Scout troop and I would like to help the leaders have some fun with this.. I have never built a setup but have used the ones friends have made in the past.. I'm mechanical and have no problem building things but figured I'd join the fourm for the expertise of everyone here! They are so much fun and I look forward to making a few launch pads myself! Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Wes
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Intoducation

Post by Flash »

Welcome aboard, I have learned so much is such as short period of time, never knew so much was going on with Water Rockets.
Take Care
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Howdy!
I just finished up a scout water rocket event. There's a lot of great instructions out there for making launchers but I would like to add some observations-

1. If you do "full bore" (which I recommend) make your launch tube connection with screw on connectors. In other words, make your launch tube field replaceable.

2. Keep a wash basin next to your launcher. Dunk the rocket nozzles before loading. Sand will lock a rocket on solidly. Having a spare tube can keep the event going if that happens.

3. Keep in mind some bottles have longer necks than others. Allowing for this is definitely worth it.

4. Get/make a bottle reamer for putting a bevel on the inside edge of the bottles. Makes loading so much easier. Some brands are very tight.

5. Use an air compressor even if its only 12v. Manual pumps slow things down and wear people out.

Anyway, hope some of that helps.
Good luck!
Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Welcome to the forum!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison