Dragster Distance Duration

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Dragster Distance Duration

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Hey everyone,

Can anyone answer my question. If I built a water rocket dragster, then would a reduced nozzle be good for distance, as I don't care about speed. Speed requires lots of stability. Also, is there any way to get the water more through the nozzle since the car is on its side, wouldn't a lot of air come out when water should be? Also, can we use Lego wheels?

Thanks
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Dragster Distance Duration

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Hey everyone,

Can anyone answer my question. If I built a water rocket dragster, then would a reduced nozzle be good for distance, as I don't care about speed. Speed requires lots of stability. Also, is there any way to get the water more through the nozzle since the car is on its side, wouldn't a lot of air come out when water should be? Also, can we use Lego wheels?

Thanks
With a larger nozzle you can gain some advantage because the car will get up to a very high speed and the wheels will "bounce" over the irregularities in the ground or pavement. There will be less rolling friction on the wheels because they will not be in contact with the rough surface as much as they would if the car was going slower and contacting every imperfection in the surface.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

What about a two stageer!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Post by thampson »

We found a smaller diameter nozzle made the length of time it took to expel the water longer which reduced acceleration, which in turn made the car more stable.

-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au