Booster attachment

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
newbrocketeer

Booster attachment

Post by newbrocketeer »

Hello everyone, I need help with booster attachment. How do you make those tubes and hooks? Image below.
Attachments
Boost1.png
Boost1.png (68.41 KiB) Viewed 116 times
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Booster attachment

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

newbrocketeer wrote:Hello everyone, I need help with booster attachment. How do you make those tubes and hooks? Image below.
Didn't that system use dangerous metal coat hangers for hooks? Imagine if that thing exploded on the pad, it could put your eye out!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Strattocoaster »

I am also interested in the best way to attach boosters. I was planning on using the wire & pen tube as the above drawing shows.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Strattocoaster wrote:I am also interested in the best way to attach boosters. I was planning on using the wire & pen tube as the above drawing shows.

A better idea would be to reinforce a wood or plastic dowel with fiberglass which could also be wrapped around the bottle to attach them. (of course the tubes would be reinforced and attached in a similar manner). If I remember correctly teams had problems with the wire hooks cutting through the plastic tubes due to the forces applied by the boosters causing the boosters to "self launch". The wire would simply cut through the plastic tube like a knife.

The use of metal in the construction your rocket would cause your rocket to be ineligible to compete for a world record (I know that some of you aren't interested in competing but as stated in the earlier post, AG the metal parts can become dangerous projectiles should the rocket explode).:explode: Most governments also have laws restricting the use of metal in model rocketry and flying model rockets made from metal being restricted to a few specific launch sites (usually the middle of a desert) and special licenses and training required (such as a NAR high power certification).
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
newbrocketeer wrote:Hello everyone, I need help with booster attachment. How do you make those tubes and hooks? Image below
Didn't that system use dangerous metal coat hangers for hooks? Imagine if that thing exploded on the pad, it could put your eye out!
It can't put your eye out if you use 4 mm optical density safety glasses and a thick coat. Are you going to tell me that a piece of shrapnel is going to fly off and actually hit me (30% possibility), hit my eye super small spot (make it 3% possibility) then go through the glasses (1.5% possibility) and then put out my eye (0.75%) possibility). Unlikely to hurt someone but what ever you say since you are supposed to be the "expert" since your rocket is best. LA: LA: LA: LA: LA: LA: LA:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Water Rocket Expert wrote: It can't put your eye out if you use 4 mm optical density safety glasses and a thick coat.
How is that coat going to protect your eye? LA:
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

arjan wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote: It can't put your eye out if you use 4 mm optical density safety glasses and a thick coat.
How is that coat going to protect your eye? LA:
In my first sentence I said that you should where optical density 4mm saftey glasses.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh I see what you mean. The coat protects the rest of you torso from grenade shrapnel.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
newbrocketeer wrote:Hello everyone, I need help with booster attachment. How do you make those tubes and hooks? Image below.
It can't put your eye out if you use 4 mm optical density safety glasses and a thick coat. Are you going to tell me that a piece of shrapnel is going to fly off and actually hit me (30% possibility), hit my eye super small spot (make it 3% possibility) then go through the glasses (1.5% possibility) and then put out my eye (0.75%) possibility). Unlikely to hurt someone but what ever you say since you are supposed to be the "expert" since your rocket is best. LA: LA: LA: LA: LA: LA: LA:
So, when you talk about your dangerous experiments on the internet and some kid who doesn't have the same protective gear copies you and had a bad accident, will the coat and eye protection be able to protect your conscience (if you have one) and will you be able to sell your coat and eyewear for enough money to pay for a lawyer?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

You could just put a warning saying I am not responsible.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:You could just put a warning saying I am not responsible.
Not all choices are honorable.

Just because it is possible to fake an injury so you can claim to be disabled and get a disability check each month instead of getting a job that doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do.

If you're not "expert" enough to figure out how to comply with the rules, you can't expect the rules have to be changed to accommodate you. We've been down this road before.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh no I am not saying they should be changed for competitions becaus that is a saftey issue I am just saying for the average person with safty equipment they could use metal parts.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Oh no I am not saying they should be changed for competitions becaus that is a saftey issue I am just saying for the average person with safty equipment they could use metal parts.

Actually for the "average person" metal parts is not a good idea either. Say you have some kind of accident and the rocket hits a person (bystander). You would be more likely to be sued if your rocket did not comply with the laws of rocketry (materials, weight, etc.) than if your rocket was constructed correctly.
Lisa Walker,
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Thinking about this more, why are we having this discussion? Non-metal parts would be better for the "average person" anyways (less expensive and easier to work with). Are you arguing just to argue?
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Okay your right I am wrong I just thought coat hangers might be more redily available for most people than other materials but I guess I am wrong. No I am not arguing just to argue I thought I had a valid point.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland