Pressure Testing Splice Fail

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Pressure Testing Splice Fail

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Today we did some pressure testing. I like to test my vessels for 1 1/4 times the objective pressure. The objective on this splice was 100 psi so testing to 125 psi was necessary to make sure the splice would work. The two splices on the right side of the vessel were complete 2 months ago and the failing splice on the left was done a week ago. This new splice used a new type of two liter bottle, one that did not match the regular kind. For this reason, we suspected a weak splice which led to failure. We used a small pancake compressor here to easily let in air while observing it on an HD camera. Below is the video of the pressure testing with the failure. Notice the splice failed on the left side, the one that was not done well. The Rupture left the split collar release damaged and the rest of the splices in need of straitening. Hopefully this will be fix within 2 weeks and I will post another test of the new splice.

Team S.P.W.R

Although I used this method long before, thanks to USWR for giving good instructions on the details that I found helpful.

P.S. The video is higher quality I downgraded it for uploading, much higher.
Attachments
Slow Motion Splice Fail.avi
Slow mo Slip Joint Fail AVI
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 185 times
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Pressure Testing Splice Fail

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Today we did some pressure testing. I like to test my vessels for 1 1/4 times the objective pressure. The objective on this splice was 100 psi so testing to 125 psi was necessary to make sure the splice would work. The two splices on the right side of the vessel were complete 2 months ago and the failing splice on the left was done a week ago. This new splice used a new type of two liter bottle, one that did not match the regular kind. For this reason, we suspected a weak splice which led to failure. We used a small pancake compressor here to easily let in air while observing it on an HD camera. Below is the video of the pressure testing with the failure. Notice the splice failed on the left side, the one that was not done well. The Rupture left the split collar release damaged and the rest of the splices in need of straitening. Hopefully this will be fix within 2 weeks and I will post another test of the new splice.

Team S.P.W.R

Although I used this method long before, thanks to USWR for giving good instructions on the details that I found helpful.

Have you determined if the glue failed or did the PET delaminate?

And what's that weird fuzzy stuff on the ground?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Today we did some pressure testing. I like to test my vessels for 1 1/4 times the objective pressure. The objective on this splice was 100 psi so testing to 125 psi was necessary to make sure the splice would work. The two splices on the right side of the vessel were complete 2 months ago and the failing splice on the left was done a week ago. This new splice used a new type of two liter bottle, one that did not match the regular kind. For this reason, we suspected a weak splice which led to failure. We used a small pancake compressor here to easily let in air while observing it on an HD camera. Below is the video of the pressure testing with the failure. Notice the splice failed on the left side, the one that was not done well. The Rupture left the split collar release damaged and the rest of the splices in need of straitening. Hopefully this will be fix within 2 weeks and I will post another test of the new splice.

Team S.P.W.R

Have you determined if the glue failed or did the PET delaminate?

And what's that weird fuzzy stuff on the ground?

The bottle was not a tight fit and the glue failed. Also it maybe that part of the bottle did delaminate.

The fuzzy stuff on the ground is crab grass, wicked grass that grows around here and is a pest. It overruns the yard like a virus and it takes professionals to remove it. Makes the yard brown because it is brown.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

hello I have launched my repaired rocket again today. We get to the field, something is leaking...Launch at 60 psi, 104' 48 mph. That is strange because it went a lot higher last time at the same pressure, on the altimeter and visibly. Stupid me forgot to glue the PVC pipe together for other reasons so another video will be posted soon of another launch. Hopefully in the next week or two. These big rockets require going to the field to launch then. It isn't so much, hey, why not blast it off in the front yard; oops, maybe I should get the ladder before the rain gets to the electronics, ha. So instead of taunting you all, here is the video as well as apogee photo.Tell me what you think. Notice the split collar design release opening at liftoff.
Attachments
Apogee Photo
Apogee Photo
Green Falcon Rocket Liftoff2.PNG (651.1 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Green Falcon Rocket Onboard Apogee Video Trimmed email version.wmv
The actual launch
(2.41 MiB) Downloaded 179 times
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Nice picture!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Thanks, that pic is the apogee pic from 104'. Next time I won't forget to PVC cement the parts together. Question: has anyone ever found a cement like PVC cement but for PET. If coke made their bottle threads standard plumbing, and someone made PET cement, the water rocket world would change forever.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I heard someone come up with the idea that a company like Estes could make water rockets and sell pre-charged water rocket motors, different amounts of water, pressure,volume, length, width. Sounds strange but may happen one day. They would be better off just making the rockets.

Check out these rumors and facts about CocoCola. http://www.coca-colacompany.com/contact ... mors-facts
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Thanks, that pic is the apogee pic from 104'. Next time I won't forget to PVC cement the parts together. Question: has anyone ever found a cement like PVC cement but for PET. If coke made their bottle threads standard plumbing, and someone made PET cement, the water rocket world would change forever.
There is a PET superglue. It is $40 a bottle.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

But no cement?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Thanks, that pic is the apogee pic from 104'. Next time I won't forget to PVC cement the parts together. Question: has anyone ever found a cement like PVC cement but for PET. If coke made their bottle threads standard plumbing, and someone made PET cement, the water rocket world would change forever.
There is a PET superglue. It is $40 a bottle.
It also has a pretty short shelf life.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:hello I have launched my repaired rocket again today. We get to the field, something is leaking...Launch at 60 psi, 104' 48 mph. That is strange because it went a lot higher last time at the same pressure, on the altimeter and visibly. Stupid me forgot to glue the PVC pipe together for other reasons so another video will be posted soon of another launch. Hopefully in the next week or two. These big rockets require going to the field to launch then. It isn't so much, hey, why not blast it off in the front yard; oops, maybe I should get the ladder before the rain gets to the electronics, ha. So instead of taunting you all, here is the video as well as apogee photo.Tell me what you think. Notice the split collar design release opening at liftoff.
Nice apogee photo. What camera were you using?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

One of midlands sport cameras, they have two I think I am using the cheaper one. $50
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:One of midlands sport cameras, they have two I think I am using the cheaper one. $50
What resolution is it?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I'm pretty sure it is 640 x 420. I couldn't find the exact one but it looks like any of these but only like $50 or $60 bucks. Pretty rugged. I may post an image but not now..........running out of time..........gotta go!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland