Hello Fellow Rocketeers

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
PFFFT
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Hello Fellow Rocketeers

Post by PFFFT »

I've been interested in anything that shoots or flies for as long as I can remember.

Up here, near Yosemite, it gets dry and this creates extreme fire hazards. I remembered those water rockets from when I was a kid, and about 15 years ago I found a water rocket launcher, for 2 liter soda bottles, for sale and I picked it up. It had one hook, and it worked, but I could only use one bottle. Of course I TRIED to splice bottles, but I was on my own, and my system didn't work well enough, and the kids were impressed, we had our fun, and that was it.

So, fast forward to 2014. I find a water rocket on Youtube. Then I did some searching, found this forum, plus other places.

I am intrigued by the multi-stage rockets, and their methods of staging. The Crushing Tube method seems to be very elegant in design. I need to figure out how to install a tube at the top of a rocket booster! TI:
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello Fellow Rocketeers

Post by WRA2 »

PFFFT wrote:I've been interested in anything that shoots or flies for as long as I can remember.

Up here, near Yosemite, it gets dry and this creates extreme fire hazards. I remembered those water rockets from when I was a kid, and about 15 years ago I found a water rocket launcher, for 2 liter soda bottles, for sale and I picked it up. It had one hook, and it worked, but I could only use one bottle. Of course I TRIED to splice bottles, but I was on my own, and my system didn't work well enough, and the kids were impressed, we had our fun, and that was it.

So, fast forward to 2014. I find a water rocket on Youtube. Then I did some searching, found this forum, plus other places.

I am intrigued by the multi-stage rockets, and their methods of staging. The Crushing Tube method seems to be very elegant in design. I need to figure out how to install a tube at the top of a rocket booster! TI:
Welcome to the forum and the WRA2! :W

Have you seen our collection of links on "how to" and various construction techniques to splice, make parachute deployment systems and build launchers.

http://www.wra2.org/Water_Rocket_Tutori ... _Links.php
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
PFFFT
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by PFFFT »

Yes I have been lurking and reading lots of posts, and reading and watching tutorials. I have been assembling the parts I need to get launching, but I haven't completed anything yet. I'm either going to have to go really light, and let the rocket just fall back, what they used to call Tumble Recovery in my Estes rocket days, or I am going to have to do some sort of Parachute Deployment system, and to me, a system that uses the Toby Toy looks best. That is because it doesn't need to be digitally programmed or use a battery. It just needs to be set up, which in a way is a sort of programming but it is not electronic.

I would like to see more information on the Crushing Sleeve mechanism, as how to fasten the tube to the plastic soda bottle, and as to what sort of material the tube should be made from. Someone has stated aquarium tubing, but that can mean different types. Some are of silicone, some are clear vinyl. I have seen a close up of a multi stage rocket with yellow tubing that is being used as the Crushing Sleeve Mechanism, and the only yellow tubing I have seen that is that color is fuel line that is commonly used for 2 stroke weedeaters and chain saws. That comes in different diameters, but it is not as flexible. I have no idea of any sort of reliable method that would fasten the tubing to the bottle, especially fuel line tubing. What would stick to it, what sort of mechanical method to keep it attached to the bottle.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

PFFFT wrote:Yes I have been lurking and reading lots of posts, and reading and watching tutorials. I have been assembling the parts I need to get launching, but I haven't completed anything yet. I'm either going to have to go really light, and let the rocket just fall back, what they used to call Tumble Recovery in my Estes rocket days, or I am going to have to do some sort of Parachute Deployment system, and to me, a system that uses the Toby Toy looks best. That is because it doesn't need to be digitally programmed or use a battery. It just needs to be set up, which in a way is a sort of programming but it is not electronic.

I would like to see more information on the Crushing Sleeve mechanism, as how to fasten the tube to the plastic soda bottle, and as to what sort of material the tube should be made from. Someone has stated aquarium tubing, but that can mean different types. Some are of silicone, some are clear vinyl. I have seen a close up of a multi stage rocket with yellow tubing that is being used as the Crushing Sleeve Mechanism, and the only yellow tubing I have seen that is that color is fuel line that is commonly used for 2 stroke weedeaters and chain saws. That comes in different diameters, but it is not as flexible. I have no idea of any sort of reliable method that would fasten the tubing to the bottle, especially fuel line tubing. What would stick to it, what sort of mechanical method to keep it attached to the bottle.
Hi, PFFFT and welcome tot he Water Rocket Forum.

It's great to see new people coming and getting involved and preparing to launch. Regrettably, we don't have a large body of experience with the crushing sleeve mechanism. That design is an old school design and so few people launch multiple stage rockets that there's only a couple of people who can help you. Hopefully, someone comes along that can answer your questions.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
PFFFT
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by PFFFT »

To me watching the stages engage seems like it would be interesting, and fun. It also seems to me - just speculation - that height could be achieved with less work, less mass getting to the top. But what do I know, I'm a plumber!
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

PFFFT wrote:To me watching the stages engage seems like it would be interesting, and fun. It also seems to me - just speculation - that height could be achieved with less work, less mass getting to the top. But what do I know, I'm a plumber!
Being a plumber could be a great advantage in this sport. ou probably have access to a lot of tools and materials that the rest of us are not aware of. There's probably a lot of little things that you know as part of your work that the rest of us would have to research on google. Things like pipe sizes and the names of various fittings would be something we would spend a lot of time figuring out. You probably have a lot of parts in your trade on hand that we would have to go and purchase.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
PFFFT
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by PFFFT »

That's true to a point, I do recall reading about a Pex fitting being used for a rocket in the posts I read here, and somebody said nooo, not allowed because of the metal in the fitting, but around here we don't crimp our pex, there is another method that uses another piece of pex over the tube, and it is expanded with a tool, and then the expanded tube with the expanded ring will slowly, but predictably, shrink to make a reliable permanent connection onto the barbed fitting. No metal, no heat. But I doubt it would be good over 175/200 psi. Pex has a memory, will return to it's original size. It also will expand when it freezes and will most likely be okay when it thaws. But that has nothing to do with .... rockets! I do have an idea, but no way to do it. I think as soon as a water rocket clears the launch rod - this is the type that uses the cable ties and a long tube with an o ring to seal - as soon as the rocket is clear of the launch tube a nozzle flips in and reduces the water flow, for an improved length of time for the whole rocket to be pressurized. The volume would be reduced going out of the nozzle, but the length of time would be increased.

Also you guys connect cpvc and pvc together using All Purpose Cement. I never use All Purpose Cement in my work because I've seen it fail in water systems too many times. But, I guess when you are building a launch tube, it works fine.. So, I suppose experience can also be a hindrance. I am impressed how many great ideas come out of building upon one person's idea and improving upon that idea. That is the power of the internet, as long as we all get along!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

PFFFT wrote:That's true to a point, I do recall reading about a Pex fitting being used for a rocket in the posts I read here, and somebody said nooo, not allowed because of the metal in the fitting, but around here we don't crimp our pex, there is another method that uses another piece of pex over the tube, and it is expanded with a tool, and then the expanded tube with the expanded ring will slowly, but predictably, shrink to make a reliable permanent connection onto the barbed fitting. No metal, no heat. But I doubt it would be good over 175/200 psi. Pex has a memory, will return to it's original size. It also will expand when it freezes and will most likely be okay when it thaws. But that has nothing to do with .... rockets! I do have an idea, but no way to do it. I think as soon as a water rocket clears the launch rod - this is the type that uses the cable ties and a long tube with an o ring to seal - as soon as the rocket is clear of the launch tube a nozzle flips in and reduces the water flow, for an improved length of time for the whole rocket to be pressurized. The volume would be reduced going out of the nozzle, but the length of time would be increased.

Also you guys connect cpvc and pvc together using All Purpose Cement. I never use All Purpose Cement in my work because I've seen it fail in water systems too many times. But, I guess when you are building a launch tube, it works fine.. So, I suppose experience can also be a hindrance. I am impressed how many great ideas come out of building upon one person's idea and improving upon that idea. That is the power of the internet, as long as we all get along!
Curious, what would you use to connect CPVC and PVC?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
PFFFT
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by PFFFT »

Hey there Bugwubber, that's a good question. In plumbing, if you wanted to connect PVC to CPVC, you would use threaded connections in between the materials. A union, or any sort of connection, best to put a ball valve in between those connections someplace, and the transition is usually a good place. I like to always screw a plastic piece into a piece of brass, like in a brass ball valve or a tee, elbow, connector. That way no plastic is getting stressed and splitting, the plastic is screwing into the much stronger brass.

Cheers,

Pffft but I want it to sound like Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

PFFFT wrote:Hey there Bugwubber, that's a good question. In plumbing, if you wanted to connect PVC to CPVC, you would use threaded connections in between the materials. A union, or any sort of connection, best to put a ball valve in between those connections someplace, and the transition is usually a good place. I like to always screw a plastic piece into a piece of brass, like in a brass ball valve or a tee, elbow, connector. That way no plastic is getting stressed and splitting, the plastic is screwing into the much stronger brass.

Cheers,

Pffft but I want it to sound like Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
Thanks for the info on that. That can be well applied on the launchers up to the launch tube. I've started replacing areas that take stress with metal. From my own experience, the all purpose cement has done very well- no failed joints. Of course, this is on pieces that I expect to replace every few years due to wear. PLP also does a great job. The plastic below is sheet material. I'm told ABS from the recycler I got it from. That is a pure butt joint with PLP filets. It holds about 20-30lbs no prob.
Attachments
CAM01132.jpg
CAM01132.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 16 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:
PFFFT wrote:Hey there Bugwubber, that's a good question. In plumbing, if you wanted to connect PVC to CPVC, you would use threaded connections in between the materials. A union, or any sort of connection, best to put a ball valve in between those connections someplace, and the transition is usually a good place. I like to always screw a plastic piece into a piece of brass, like in a brass ball valve or a tee, elbow, connector. That way no plastic is getting stressed and splitting, the plastic is screwing into the much stronger brass.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info on that. That can be well applied on the launchers up to the launch tube. I've started replacing areas that take stress with metal. From my own experience, the all purpose cement has done very well- no failed joints. Of course, this is on pieces that I expect to replace every few years due to wear. PLP also does a great job. The plastic below is sheet material. I'm told ABS from the recycler I got it from. That is a pure butt joint with PLP filets. It holds about 20-30lbs no prob.
If PLP can hole 200PSI bottles together, it should work on a nice big filleted butt joint like that!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Hi Pffft,

Here you can learn how to build a crushing sleeve stager.
http://web.archive.org/web/200010062236 ... /stage.htm
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com