Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by Jtrops »

I've got my supply figured out for the air, and so I'm really close to being able to launch.

Now I only have to figure out the remote launch trigger. Maybe my gardena isn't the smoothest out there, but it seems to be very hard to pull it down with the cord. I have a pulley underneath, and there is a straddle wire connected to two sides of the gardena. The cord goes up from the pulley to the straddle wire that pulls the mechanism from both sides. I'm using a plastic Gardena, so maybe the trick is using a metal one. Any Ideas?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Gardena Launcher Trouble!

Post by bugwubber »

Jtrops wrote:I've got my supply figured out for the air, and so I'm really close to being able to launch.

Now I only have to figure out the remote launch trigger. Maybe my gardena isn't the smoothest out there, but it seems to be very hard to pull it down with the cord. I have a pulley underneath, and there is a straddle wire connected to two sides of the gardena. The cord goes up from the pulley to the straddle wire that pulls the mechanism from both sides. I'm using a plastic Gardena, so maybe the trick is using a metal one. Any Ideas?
I have heard that plastic gardena on the launcher is less reliable, that it tends to stick or leak. I recently built a plastic one for experiments but haven't put it through its paces yet.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Rocket_Scientist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Rocket_Scientist »

Try a bellcrank. Do a google image search.

You pivot on the corner of the L shape.

The short end of the L, you tie the gardena

The long end you tie your launch rope.

The force multiplication is (length of long end) divided by (length of short end)
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jtrops »

Rocket_Scientist wrote:Try a bellcrank. Do a google image search.

You pivot on the corner of the L shape.

The short end of the L, you tie the gardena

The long end you tie your launch rope.

The force multiplication is (length of long end) divided by (length of short end)
A bell crank would work, but it would be more complicated to rig than a pulley system. In my current setup I have it as a 1:1. If I add a pulley at the straddle cable and anchor the end of the cord at the first pulley I will have 2:1. I could put one more pulley in for 3:1, or 4:1 depending on where I anchor the cord. I hadn't thought of using a multiplier, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll look to see if someone has come up with a simple bell crank that I could add to my rig without much hassle. I have pulleys, and the space to use them.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Did you modify the gardena when you made the launcher? I took the springs out of mine and it makes it much easier to pull down. The only "problem" is that you have to slide it up to engage it.

If you would rather not risk ruining your gardena, you could do a pulley or bellcrank. Of the two I would choose bellcrank just because it is simpler to setup, and you can make it yourself, no need to go buy something.

AirCommand uses a metal quick release in his design. I assume that the metal quick release works with a plastic nozzle, but I am not sure. Also, his launch abort valve at the bottom of the page is a good idea too. Much safer way of releasing the pressure.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jtrops »

I tried to take the plastic Gardena apart, and it just didn't budge. I honestly thought that if I continued I would just break it. So, I bought an actual "Gardena Premium Quick Connect" starter set. I have to say that this thing is so much smoother in every way than the cheap plastic one I was using. I haven't got it all rigged up yet, but already it is practically effortless to pull the straddle cable. I imagine my original setup will work fine with this fitting. We'll see tomorrow!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Jtrops wrote:I tried to take the plastic Gardena apart, and it just didn't budge. I honestly thought that if I continued I would just break it. So, I bought an actual "Gardena Premium Quick Connect" starter set. I have to say that this thing is so much smoother in every way than the cheap plastic one I was using. I haven't got it all rigged up yet, but already it is practically effortless to pull the straddle cable. I imagine my original setup will work fine with this fitting. We'll see tomorrow!
Good to know thanks! I won't spend too much time fidgeting with mine if it has issues.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I don't recommend plastic although I have used it. Where can I get metal? Does home depot sell them.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jtrops »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I don't recommend plastic although I have used it. Where can I get metal? Does home depot sell them.
I tried Home Depot with no luck. The only metal ones they have use a different connector, and aren't compatible with Gardena nozzles. So, I ordered from Amazon. $20 for the set including two quick connects, and a few adapters. That's only $5 more than getting the connector alone.

I ended up using a bellcrank made from part of an old broken front derailleur. It works perfectly. We did a dry, just air, launch this evening with low psi (40) to see if it would release. and the rocket (without fins) went 50'. I had to bail on the milk crate base and completely redesign my rig, but it was worth it. I'm using the tripod base from my black powder launch pad. If I can figure out how to put up photo's I'll add a couple.
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jtrops »

Here are some pix if it works!
image.jpg
image.jpg (114.26 KiB) Viewed 111 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.81 KiB) Viewed 111 times
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Jtrops wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:I don't recommend plastic although I have used it. Where can I get metal? Does home depot sell them.
I tried Home Depot with no luck. The only metal ones they have use a different connector, and aren't compatible with Gardena nozzles. So, I ordered from Amazon. $20 for the set including two quick connects, and a few adapters. That's only $5 more than getting the connector alone.

I ended up using a bellcrank made from part of an old broken front derailleur. It works perfectly. We did a dry, just air, launch this evening with low psi (40) to see if it would release. and the rocket (without fins) went 50'. I had to bail on the milk crate base and completely redesign my rig, but it was worth it. I'm using the tripod base from my black powder launch pad. If I can figure out how to put up photo's I'll add a couple.
Does anyone in the USA have a source for the large Gardena style hose connectors? They sold them at Home Depot a few years ago, but they no longer have them in stock.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Rocket_Scientist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Rocket_Scientist »

Glad to see the pictures!
Lowes sells a Bosch branded nozzle called Gardena.
Go to their website and search "quick connect"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Jtrops wrote:Here are some pix if it works!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice looking launcher!
I sacrificed my tripod to make adjustable legs for a solar telecope because the thumb latch broke. Is that thumb latch plastic like mine was?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jtrops »

bugwubber wrote:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice looking launcher!
I sacrificed my tripod to make adjustable legs for a solar telecope because the thumb latch broke. Is that thumb latch plastic like mine was?
It's an old tripod that I modified to use for my solid fuel rockets. I cut the center column short, and epoxied the brackets for the brace higher up so the legs spread wider. I also ditched the extra leg extensions. The lock for the quick release plate is plastic. If it fails I'll just drill a hole through the plate and secure it with a bolt.

Repurposing old stuff is one of the best things about water rockets.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Jtrops wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice looking launcher!
It's an old tripod that I modified to use for my solid fuel rockets. I cut the center column short, and epoxied the brackets for the brace higher up so the legs spread wider. I also ditched the extra leg extensions. The lock for the quick release plate is plastic. If it fails I'll just drill a hole through the plate and secure it with a bolt.

Repurposing old stuff is one of the best things about water rockets.
We have a launcher under construction that is made from some discarded shelving brackets. It's not quite as nice as our Instant Launcher design, but it is easier for people to replicate. We'll be posting plans shortly showing how we did it. Once we have it finished and tested.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison