Hello from San Diego

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Little-Acorn

Hello from San Diego

Post by Little-Acorn »

I have a son in Cub Scout Pack 629 in San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos). We just had a campout at a nearby park, and Water Bottle Rockets were one of the featured activities. I designed and built a launcher for them (actually built two of them), my son and I each built a rocket, and it turned out that about 30 other Cub Scouts and parents built a rocket. A good time was had by all!

We did so much launching that we wore out an O-ring on one of the launchers. But quickly replaced the O-ring, and kept right on going.

We were getting launch pressures of 80psi, and heights (I'd guess) around 100ft. to 150 feet, for launches at that pressure. I suspect the launcher can go to higher pressures, but haven't tried higher ones yet.

Onward and upward! :D
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello from San Diego

Post by bugwubber »

Howdy and welcome to the forum!
Cubscouts introduced us to water rocketry as well. Last year I ran a summer day camp station for water rockets. 200 Scouts and a giant bag of recycled bottles. It was a lot of fun. I think we went through 40 gallons of water. This year they asked me to run the catapult station. What size bottles and type of launcher did you make?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Little-Acorn

Post by Little-Acorn »

Launcher was three 24" long pieces of 1x6 board, glued together in a U-channel shape, with a galvanaized "floor flange" bolted to the inside (from Home Depot). A PVC tee above that (all 1/2" PVC sprinkler pipe), then a homemade launch tube , 8" long, sticking straight up, with a 1/8" thick O-ring for a seal.

TO lock the rocket onto the launcher, I bent a 3/16" galvanized steel rod (Home Depot again) into a narrow V shape, 10" long, bolted to a board across the top of the U-channel, extending on either side of the rocket. Squeezed the arms of the V together to grasp the bottle just above that flange that all bottles have, and slipped a piece of aluminum ove the prongs to hold them together.

A 25' plastic hose, 1/4" outside diameter, 140 psi (Home Depot yet again), with compression fittings on either end and a tire valve. Fits 2-liter bottles, 1.25 liter, or 20-ounce bottles.

Pump it up with a bicycle pump, we didn't go above 100psi, then the Cub Scout yanks a string to pull the aluminum piece off the narrow V-shaped lock, the arms of the V spring apart, and away the rocket goes.

I wanted a light trigger that the Cub Scout didn't have to pull real hard, and a low, fairly heavy chassis that wouldn't tip over and point the rocket right at you when you pulled the string. Also wanted a small hose volume so there wouldn't be much "extra" volume of compressed air to waste. Finally wanted it to be solid as a tank so hours of repeated Cub Scout abuse wouldn't break it. Turned out pretty successful.

I've written up a How-to-Make-It manual at the request of several Scout families and some other spectators at the park. I can place it here if there's some way to upload it - anybody want a copy?

All materials are from Home Depot, plus a few from the local Hobby Shop and the tire valve from the local NAPA Auto Parts store.

We mostly shot off 20-ounce bottles, since they fit perfectly into a Post Office mailing tube suitable to fins and decoration. Plus I made another rocket out of a 2-liter bottle, but it was the only "fat" rocket.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Little-Acorn wrote:Launcher was three 24" long pieces of 1x6 board, glued together in a U-channel shape, with a galvanaized "floor flange" bolted to the inside (from Home Depot). A PVC tee above that (all 1/2" PVC sprinkler pipe), then a homemade launch tube , 8" long, sticking straight up, with a 1/8" thick O-ring for a seal.

TO lock the rocket onto the launcher, I bent a 3/16" galvanized steel rod (Home Depot again) into a narrow V shape, 10" long, bolted to a board across the top of the U-channel, extending on either side of the rocket. Squeezed the arms of the V together to grasp the bottle just above that flange that all bottles have, and slipped a piece of aluminum ove the prongs to hold them together.

A 25' plastic hose, 1/4" outside diameter, 140 psi (Home Depot yet again), with compression fittings on either end and a tire valve. Fits 2-liter bottles, 1.25 liter, or 20-ounce bottles.

Pump it up with a bicycle pump, we didn't go above 100psi, then the Cub Scout yanks a string to pull the aluminum piece off the narrow V-shaped lock, the arms of the V spring apart, and away the rocket goes.

I wanted a light trigger that the Cub Scout didn't have to pull real hard, and a low, fairly heavy chassis that wouldn't tip over and point the rocket right at you when you pulled the string. Also wanted a small hose volume so there wouldn't be much "extra" volume of compressed air to waste. Finally wanted it to be solid as a tank so hours of repeated Cub Scout abuse wouldn't break it. Turned out pretty successful.

I've written up a How-to-Make-It manual at the request of several Scout families and some other spectators at the park. I can place it here if there's some way to upload it - anybody want a copy?

All materials are from Home Depot, plus a few from the local Hobby Shop and the tire valve from the local NAPA Auto Parts store.

We mostly shot off 20-ounce bottles, since they fit perfectly into a Post Office mailing tube suitable to fins and decoration. Plus I made another rocket out of a 2-liter bottle, but it was the only "fat" rocket.
Definitely- you should upload that into the How To section. I haven't heard of that particular release before. I built a release using angle iron, one using a pivoting latch bar, and finally another using USWR's idea, the zipties and a locking clamp pliers. When you are writing a post, underneath the submit buttons is another section with tabs labeled Options, Upload Attachment. Click on the Upload Attachment section and that will give you the options to select and upload a file or pictures/video etc.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Little-Acorn

Post by Little-Acorn »

bugwubber wrote: Definitely- you should upload that into the How To section. I haven't heard of that particular release before. I built a release using angle iron, one using a pivoting latch bar, and finally another using USWR's idea, the zipties and a locking clamp pliers. When you are writing a post, underneath the submit buttons is another section with tabs labeled Options, Upload Attachment. Click on the Upload Attachment section and that will give you the options to select and upload a file or pictures/video etc.
Done. Actually I uploaded it into the "Compressor and Launcher" section - was that a mistake? Hmmm. See the post about the "Wood-frame Rocket Launcher".

I hope it comes out OK. And hopefully, if anyone looks at it or tries to build it, they will leave me some feedback so I can improve it.

The goal is to get everyone in the world, launching Water Bottle Rockets! Using a variety of bottles and launchers, there are a lot of good designs out there. All (including this one) are bound to have a few problems. But the idea is to make something that lets everyone have fun without too much hassle.

Onward and upward!

BTW, is there a way to edit my own posts after I (foolishly) click "Submit"? I keep finding typos and other dumb stuff after I'm done.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

As it so happens I am a Young Leader for a Scout Troup here in Somerset UK. Cubs and Scouts is a great place for water rockets and I have held a few meetings with water rocket challenges and so forth. Your launcher sounds interesting- your aim for making Water Rockets a bigger hobby is definitely one I would help further the cause to- it really is annoying when you say you're into water rockets and they assume it’s a Coke bottle and cork business. Your unique and intricate launch design looks in the right shape to conquer these types of stereotype!

Good Luck for the future,

Cheers, Jamie B.
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Little-Acorn

Post by Little-Acorn »

Jamie5335 wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum!

As it so happens I am a Young Leader for a Scout Troup here in Somerset UK. Cubs and Scouts is a great place for water rockets and I have held a few meetings with water rocket challenges and so forth. Your launcher sounds interesting- your aim for making Water Rockets a bigger hobby is definitely one I would help further the cause to- it really is annoying when you say you're into water rockets and they assume it’s a Coke bottle and cork business. Your unique and intricate launch design looks in the right shape to conquer these types of stereotype!

Cheers, Jamie B.
Well, "intricate" is what I hope it isn't.

Build a wood box, put a launch tube in the middle of if, bolt a simple lock mechanism to the top. Then have fun! Hopefully it will be fairly simple for people to build.

Several people here already want to borrow it, for schools, another Scout troop etc. I lend these out where I can. But hopefully they will eventually build their own.

It's a fun hobby! :D
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Little-Acorn wrote:
Jamie5335 wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Jamie B.
Well, "intricate" is what I hope it isn't.

Build a wood box, put a launch tube in the middle of if, bolt a simple lock mechanism to the top. Then have fun! Hopefully it will be fairly simple for people to build.

Several people here already want to borrow it, for schools, another Scout troop etc. I lend these out where I can. But hopefully they will eventually build their own.

It's a fun hobby! :D
The whole cork/rubber stopper launcher affair is actually a lot more of a danger to kids than a real launcher with a release. The pressure release launcher type can actually jam up and cause the bottle to burst. You have done well to make a real launcher!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison