Tree Retrival

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Tree Retrival

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Okay so I got my rocket stuck up in a prickle tree that is about 30 feet tall. How would you guys get it down. I thought about wearing safety glasses, jeans, and long sleeves and then just climbing, but it's such a dense tree. And it also has the ServoChron in it. Do you guys think it will go bad from the rain. I mean, it is concealed in the release chamber thingy. It's been there for 3 weeks now. Any ideas of how to get it down would help!

Thanks

P.S. I'm also saving up to buy the apprentice 15e RC plane by E-Flite. Hopefully I can post some cool Arial video when I get it. I have slowed down on rockets because I'm saving for that plane.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Tree Retrival

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Okay so I got my rocket stuck up in a prickle tree that is about 30 feet tall. How would you guys get it down. I thought about wearing safety glasses, jeans, and long sleeves and then just climbing, but it's such a dense tree. And it also has the ServoChron in it. Do you guys think it will go bad from the rain. I mean, it is concealed in the release chamber thingy. It's been there for 3 weeks now. Any ideas of how to get it down would help!

Thanks

P.S. I'm also saving up to buy the apprentice 15e RC plane by E-Flite. Hopefully I can post some cool Arial video when I get it. I have slowed down on rockets because I'm saving for that plane.
Sorry to hear you have a rocket eating tree too!
Here's how I got my rc airplane down:

[youtube][/youtube]

The rocket was just a small bottle with a tennis ball taped on the front. Used a bowfishing spool and tied the kine to the rocket. Even if you miss, you can shake the tree by pulling on the line.

Could probably do the same with a fishing pole and a practice weight.

I had a rocket stay up in a tree for 10months before it came down. And the parachute line was only adhered with hot melt glue.

Good luck!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Okay so I got my rocket stuck up in a prickle tree that is about 30 feet tall. How would you guys get it down. I thought about wearing safety glasses, jeans, and long sleeves and then just climbing, but it's such a dense tree. And it also has the ServoChron in it. Do you guys think it will go bad from the rain. I mean, it is concealed in the release chamber thingy. It's been there for 3 weeks now. Any ideas of how to get it down would help!

Thanks

We usually tie a string to a rock or metal bit and toss it into the tree branch near the rocket. We let the weight fall to the ground and tie a strong rope to it and pull the rope over the branch with the string. Once the rope is in place we shake the tree until the rocket comes down. Sometimes you can just bend the branch down and grab the rocket, depending on how high it is. It's not fun, but it works.

Good luck getting it back.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:

Thanks

[youtube][/youtube]

The rocket was just a small bottle with a tennis ball taped on the front. Used a bowfishing spool and tied the kine to the rocket. Even if you miss, you can shake the tree by pulling on the line.

I had a rocket stay up in a tree for 10months before it came down. And the parachute line was only adhered with hot melt glue.

Good luck!
Many years ago when we were making our first attempts at the world record we had an FTC rocket get caught in a pine tree and we used a commercial water rocket toy to pull the string into the tree. The toy had all these safety devices in it to prevent it from being fired if the rocket was not nearly vertical, so we have to remove all those mechanisms in order to have a system that we could aim at the correct angle. What a pain!

In the end we gave up on that system because it always takes many attempts to get a good shot to the right branch, and we found that it would take several minutes between attempts because the rescue rocket device took a long time to reset.

We tried the fishing pole idea too, but our rockets always get stuck in a wooded area where there is no room to cast a pole. We have to toss it instead.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:

Thanks

[youtube][/youtube]

Good luck!
Many years ago when we were making our first attempts at the world record we had an FTC rocket get caught in a pine tree and we used a commercial water rocket toy to pull the string into the tree. The toy had all these safety devices in it to prevent it from being fired if the rocket was not nearly vertical, so we have to remove all those mechanisms in order to have a system that we could aim at the correct angle. What a pain!

In the end we gave up on that system because it always takes many attempts to get a good shot to the right branch, and we found that it would take several minutes between attempts because the rescue rocket device took a long time to reset.

We tried the fishing pole idea too, but our rockets always get stuck in a wooded area where there is no room to cast a pole. We have to toss it instead.
Lets see, before resorting to the water rocket with bowfishing line, I tried throwing a weighted sandbag tied to string, climbing, and using a ladder to get to a lower branch and then throwing the sandbag. But that plane must have been 50 feet or so agl and my throws weren't coming anywhere close to the branch. If I lived out in the country, I probably would have just loaded up my bow with a fishing arrow and went to town. So that's when I started thinking about the handheld launcher. The face shield was a must btw. I forgot to put it down only once!

WRE Had any luck getting it down?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello Water Rocket Expert,

As a matter of fact I haven't really had a rocket get stuck in a tree (I did once but it was around 3 feet of the ground and a close shave!!).

However I have had a kite stuck in a tree many times! We use a combination of a chimney sweeper pole and another stunt kite to get it down.

By using the other stunt kite as a battering ram, we dislodged it enough so that the chimney sweeper (basically a long bendy poll resting on other branches) with a hock on the end could pull it down.

Hope that helps, Jamie B.
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.