Solar Eclipse tomorrow

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Solar Eclipse tomorrow

Post by bugwubber »

Solar eclipse is going to be visible in our area tomorrow so I'm taking the solar telescope I made out to a nearby wildlife refuge to watch.

If you are looking for a interesting project, I highly recommend dropping by Bruce Hegerberg's website http://www.sunguntelescope.com/MAIN.html and checking out his instructions on making a rear projection screen for telescopes.

I adapted his Sun Of A Gun design to work with a 1 foot long telescope by making the bucket the alt bearing.

Here's my prototype-
DSC05929.JPG
DSC05929.JPG (156.22 KiB) Viewed 24 times
And final build-
DSC06322.JPG
DSC06322.JPG (165.12 KiB) Viewed 24 times
I suppose it cost about $100 including the cost of the telescope and rear projection screen.

Here's a quick video of the me aiming it using one hand.

[youtube][/youtube]
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Solar Eclipse tomorrow

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bugwubber wrote:Solar eclipse is going to be visible in our area tomorrow so I'm taking the solar telescope I made out to a nearby wildlife refuge to watch.

If you are looking for a interesting project, I highly recommend dropping by Bruce Hegerberg's website http://www.sunguntelescope.com/MAIN.html and checking out his instructions on making a rear projection screen for telescopes.

I adapted his Sun Of A Gun design to work with a 1 foot long telescope by making the bucket the alt bearing.

Here's my prototype-
DSC05929.JPG
And final build-
DSC06322.JPG
I suppose it cost about $100 including the cost of the telescope and rear projection screen.

Here's a quick video of the me aiming it using one hand.

[youtube][/youtube]

Wow, that's really well done! You always add al the cool details like the name on the side and everything to really finish your projects off. It looks like the design is very effective as well. Good luck with the weather for the eclipse! Hope you have no clouds!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
Wow, that's really well done! You always add al the cool details like the name on the side and everything to really finish your projects off. It looks like the design is very effective as well. Good luck with the weather for the eclipse! Hope you have no clouds!
Thanks! The name and the design were a play on The Cat In The Hat and the big red wood box.

It was a beautiful day!
tmp_31459-20141023_173138-1547872411.jpg
tmp_31459-20141023_173138-1547872411.jpg (5.51 MiB) Viewed 17 times
tmp_31459-20141023_172806-1592302934.jpg
tmp_31459-20141023_172806-1592302934.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 17 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I had know clue the solar eclipse was going on. My dad and me were biking and some random lady rolled down her window and told me that looking at the sun would hurt my eyes. I had know clue why she told me until the next day.

I almost told that lady to CP: !
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I had know clue the solar eclipse was going on. My dad and me were biking and some random lady rolled down her window and told me that looking at the sun would hurt my eyes. I had know clue why she told me until the next day.

I almost told that lady to CP: !
So was the eclipse going on right at the time that she said that and you didn't even know it? It was really just a partial eclipse so it probably didn't get very dark.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

It was not going on yet! I managed to see it through sun glasses though I new it was unsafe.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:It was not going on yet! I managed to see it through sun glasses though I new it was unsafe.
Yeah it's a quite a bit safer as the sun gets down to the horizon but indirect is still safest.

For my 8" telescope, I have a piece of Baader Astro Solar film on a lens cover. Only need a 3" circle. This website offers small pieces of the solar film- http://www.dracoproductions.net Otherwise you can buy a full A4 sheet for about $40. Definitely worth it.

This site is really cool...
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/So ... eMaps.html
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:It was not going on yet! I managed to see it through sun glasses though I new it was unsafe.
Yeah it's a quite a bit safer as the sun gets down to the horizon but indirect is still safest.

For my 8" telescope, I have a piece of Baader Astro Solar film on a lens cover. Only need a 3" circle. This website offers small pieces of the solar film- http://www.dracoproductions.net Otherwise you can buy a full A4 sheet for about $40. Definitely worth it.

This site is really cool...
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/So ... eMaps.html

Thanks for the link. As if we don't have enough projects going on at the moment. What else do you have cooking over there?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Thanks for the link. As if we don't have enough projects going on at the moment. What else do you have cooking over there?
You're welcome! :-)
As for my projects list, finishing out my basement is taking a big chunk of my time right now. Our Scout Den will be making pyro rockets this year so I'll need a launcher of course :-D. Toying with the idea of making inserts that fit into the water rocket launch tubes. With snow coming, Snow Miser will be coming back out of storage. Probably won't get a decent run until the lakes freeze over though. Longer term, we are preparing for the 2017 total eclipse. That will require a trip for us to see and as luck would have it, the Tetons are right next to the totality path.

Oh and one more thing-
This summer, I collected a bunch of wide mouth bottles. They being converted into rocket components. I'm predicting these will make great snow rockets.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.