Cheezy Water Rocket Toy with Potential

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Cheezy Water Rocket Toy with Potential

Post by bugwubber »

anoymous wrote:How many launches have you used the battery? With us, after four or five launches the battery was low. We never had an error because of that, tough.
Battery level was unknown. It was unable to reset the servo so I imagine it was flat.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Ready to go again!
IMG_20150630_112317.jpg
IMG_20150630_112317.jpg (106.54 KiB) Viewed 70 times
So anyone else built one yet? These things are fun!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

well, I didn't build it yet, but if I find the parts and have time this summer, I'll try to make some different rockets. Sadly, I don't think I will have enough time: first we go two weeks to France, then I have some time, and in August I need to do a hollyday job. In september I have to get ready for the schoolyear. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Yep just plugged the altimeter Launchpad into a different servo and power supply and it worked like a champ. Wish I'd thought to just switch out batteries at the field...
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

One of the things I learnt with our research competences: always have spare parts when you are in the field. It's unbelievable how much time we lost because we didn't have spare parts. And if something goes wrong, try changing the battery before you do something else :D.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bugwubber wrote:Here is the new upperstage. The rocket has been named Paso Doble
IMG_20150622_215834.jpg
That looks really good! It looks like a rocket from one of those 1950's science fiction movies!
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:We have success!

And I have no idea where the upper stage is!

We had a false launch detect and then the alTImeter reported an error condition and wouldn't reset. So we launched with just the bare upper with no parachute, no beeping launchpad, and no blinking lights.
Did you get the altimeter wet? That kind of error usually happens when the altimeter gets wet. A low battery can cause this situation as well.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
bugwubber wrote:We have success!

And I have no idea where the upper stage is!

We had a false launch detect and then the alTImeter reported an error condition and wouldn't reset. So we launched with just the bare upper with no parachute, no beeping launchpad, and no blinking lights.
Did you get the altimeter wet? That kind of error usually happens when the altimeter gets wet. A low battery can cause this situation as well.
Definitely a low battery. Well pretty sure since it couldn't move the servo back to start position. Upper stage cargo bay was assembled after the pressure vessel had be loaded so no chance of it getting wet.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

bugwubber wrote:Here is the new upperstage. The rocket has been named Paso Doble
IMG_20150622_215834.jpg
That looks really good! It looks like a rocket from one of those 1950's science fiction movies!
Thanks! Guess I get to build it again. :-)
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:
IMG_20150622_215834.jpg
Thanks! Guess I get to build it again. :-)
This time put your name and email or phone number on it. We lost one in 2004 and never got it back. It likely landed in someone's back yard or on a roof and they found it some time later and had no clue where it came from. We put our contact info on it and even a reward notice ever since.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Another launch!
This time the drag shroud stuck perhaps on tape on the upper stage? Not sure.
Anyway, something happened that it never dropped so second stage didn't launch. It depressurized before impact through the tiny hole.

Regardless, the lower stage was unharmed and is ready to launch again. The upper was a quick build and made a good cushion. ;-)
DSC03321.JPG
DSC03321.JPG (7.44 MiB) Viewed 46 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Too bad it failed to separate.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Lesson learned- failure is always an option!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
kitestring
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by kitestring »

Here is the next stage i have managed based on all the threads...
Has anyone actually launched one yet?
[youtube][/youtube]
I have published a bit more info on my blog. http://waterrocketsbrisbane.blogspot.com.au/
Would love a reply even if you think its crap. Just like to know this thread is still live?
kitestring
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by kitestring »

Quick test in back yard to make sure mechanism works.... just at 30psi. Will be dropping non return valve and using simpler idea on next version. Merry Christmas and clear skies.
[youtube][/youtube]