Your launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
mitchy112

Your launcher

Post by mitchy112 »

Post here your launcher with some specs.
And it would be nice if you had a tutorial for the newer people under us (like me)
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Your launcher

Post by Mark Chen »

mitchy112 wrote:Post here your launcher with some specs.
And it would be nice if you had a tutorial for the newer people under us (like me)
It's coming, my friend! I wish I could spend more time on it tho!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
mitchy112

Post by mitchy112 »

i think it's great for starters to get some ideas but take your time :).
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Mark Chen wrote:
mitchy112 wrote:Post here your launcher with some specs.
It's coming, my friend! I wish I could spend more time on it tho!
If you need help writing the instructions, I can pitch in. We can make this a community project!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Hey guys,

We've got a couple of sets of Clarke Cable Tie Launcher parts all made up here which are leftover from a scout event where we helped the kids build launchers. If you want, we can take some pictures of the assembly for your tutorial. How does that sound? Send a PM if you're interested. We should certainly try and do more of these "community" projects!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hi

Here's mine:
[youtube][/youtube]

Just ask, if you have any questions!

regards christian
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Post by thampson »

christian,

nice work with the launcher. Im working on installing some guide rails at the moment. I am interested in looking at your launcher, were the 3 poles moving apart or together at the top that caused you to install the ring ? Also how close are the rails to the rocket, does it actually touch the rocket or just miss ?

thanks
-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

thampson wrote:christian,

nice work with the launcher. Im working on installing some guide rails at the moment. I am interested in looking at your launcher, were the 3 poles moving apart or together at the top that caused you to install the ring ? Also how close are the rails to the rocket, does it actually touch the rocket or just miss ?

thanks
-todd-
Hi.
Thanks! I don't really understand your first question, sorry. But as to the second one, the rails just miss the rocket. But I'm sure that when I launch the rocket, it doesn't pass through without touching any of the rails. (They'ld be pretty unnecessary then)
regards christian
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Christian,

Have you tried to lubricate the rails to cut back on friction? My idea is to get a teflon tube and slice it open lengthwise and slide it over guides for friction resistance! I think that would be slick! (pun intended)
Spaceman Spiff
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Christian,

Have you tried to lubricate the rails to cut back on friction? My idea is to get a teflon tube and slice it open lengthwise and slide it over guides for friction resistance! I think that would be slick! (pun intended)
Wow, that sounds interesting! Where do you get teflon tubes? Sounds pretty expensive to me, but that's just a guess.
christian
thampson

Post by thampson »

christian,

I think I will rephrase the question :) .. I was wondering the reason for the ring at the top .. is it to keep the 3 poles steady during liftoff, or are the poles not perfectly vertical, so they lean in or out at the top. IM guessing its to keep them rigid during launch .. Im just interested. Ive seen a coupe of launchers with the poles use the rings ...

also thanks for the answer to the question about the poles touching the rocket.

-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I think I will rephrase the question :) .. I was wondering the reason for the ring at the top .. is it to keep the 3 poles steady during liftoff, or are the poles not perfectly vertical, so they lean in or out at the top. IM guessing its to keep them rigid during launch .. Im just interested. Ive seen a coupe of launchers with the poles use the rings ...

-todd-
Hey Todd

Yeah, the ring is to keep the three poles stable during liftoff. When I launched without it, the rocket usually just bent one of them and so the whole guiderail was useless. That's why I installed the ring.
It's also not very easy to get the poles perfectly vertical, but I managed to get pretty close to vertical, at least they are vertical enough.
christian
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chriswaterrockets wrote:

-todd-
Hey Todd

Yeah, the ring is to keep the three poles stable during liftoff. When I launched without it, the rocket usually just bent one of them and so the whole guiderail was useless. That's why I installed the ring.
It's also not very easy to get the poles perfectly vertical, but I managed to get pretty close to vertical, at least they are vertical enough.
christian
What do you guys think is the best guide rail material? I went to the hardware store and they want a fortune for aluminum channel or tube. I don't think I want to spend that much on it. PVC is too rubbery, so I was thinking of using steel wiring conduit. It's heavy but cheap.
Spaceman Spiff
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

Why you don´t try wood ? Like those sticks from the broom
Research and Development is the soul of WR
Freqster

Post by Freqster »

Here are a few pics of the last launcher I built. All Aluminum. Easy to transport once its borken down.
Attachments
Picture 044.jpg
Picture 044.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 376 times
Picture 038.jpg
Picture 038.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 375 times
Picture 036.jpg
Picture 036.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 376 times
Google SketchUp drawing
Google SketchUp drawing
launcher description.jpg (236.23 KiB) Viewed 370 times