Nylon Gears of 300 psi compressors

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Nylon Gears of 300 psi compressors

Post by RaZias »

I have 2 compressors, both with nylon gears. I saw 2 nylon gears and I don´t know wich one I have to change.
Should I change both or only the big one (pointed in number in the pictures) ?
1.jpg
1.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 93 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (395.27 KiB) Viewed 93 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 93 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (322.36 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Research and Development is the soul of WR
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Nylon Gears of 300 psi compressors

Post by RaZias »

It´s a 12V compressor but I am thinking that if I connect it to a 24V converter I might get a more powerful compressor...if it handles the heat...

So what you say ?
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

RaZias,

You should change all of the nylon gears from your compressor. There's no point in changing only one gear because the other one will melt just as easily. You probably will get more power running at 24V but be careful as this will make more heat. You may be able to get higher pressures by setting up a different (lower) gear ratio than the standard gearing. Since you're going to be changing gears, you can think about changing the ratio.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

US WR,

You have said that I have to reduce the gear ratio to get more power.

The compressor has a very small metalic gear connected to the big nylon one.
So you suggest me to increase or to decrase the big one ?
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

If you make the big gear even bigger, you will gear the motor down even more. This means you will be able to go to a higher pressure (assuming that you are already going to the point where the motor is stalling). The down side is that it will take even longer to pump up. You can achieve the same effect by putting a smaller gear on the motor, but that will put more force on the teeth of the gear. So like you said, you are probably better off just leaving that one as it is and changing the big one.

Are you sure that's a gear inside the motor? I can't see it very well, but it looks like it's just a fan to me. It would be there just to increase circulation inside the motor. If that's the case, there is no point replacing it. Let us know if you make any big improvements to your compressors.

Alex
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

I cleaned the inside of the piston that compressed the air because it was dirty.
After I putted lubrificant for high rotation mechanisms.

Before it stalled at 180 psi (altough once it stalled at 210 psi) now I went 230 psi without stalling.

Whe I stoped the compressor at 230 psi I noticed the pressure started to lower until it stoped at 200 psi.

I depluged the hose from the compressor. The hand that was holding the hose was kicked to my helmet´s chin... :shock:
It only kicked me with the 10m x 6mm air volume, imagine if the bottle had no water...

The lucky thing was that I had a full-face mountain-bike helmet, double glass googles and kevlar glooves.

I couldn´t find the cause of loss of pressure, it wasn´t in the bottle, neither in the nozzle nor in the launcher. :(

Remember guys 230 psi is a bomb not a toy :shock: ...everyone knows stories of rockets that blast in the launcher...imagine a 16L 230 psi rocket blasting on it...buy a 20meter hose !!!
csitas

Post by csitas »

I might be out of line here but, there is no way you'll ever approach 300 lbs. pressure with that compressor.
Mpboyer3

Post by Mpboyer3 »

Number 2 is not a gear, it is the fan for the motor I believe.