Suggestions for high pressure launchers?

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
HenningNT
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Suggestions for high pressure launchers?

Post by HenningNT »

Does anyone have any suggestions about how a high pressure launcher could be made. I asked Gardenia (or was it Hozelock?), and the guarantee safe operation of their connectors up to 10 bar. That's not enough for what I have in mind...

I think a cable tie launcher can be made to hold pretty high pressure, it's just a question of tensile strength and surface area. And if the plastic isn't strong enough, steel wire could be used instead...

My boss suggested using a pneumatic or electrically operated valve, and have a separate fill connection.

Any others?
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Suggestions for high pressure launchers?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HenningNT wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions about how a high pressure launcher could be made. I asked Gardenia (or was it Hozelock?), and the guarantee safe operation of their connectors up to 10 bar. That's not enough for what I have in mind...

I think a cable tie launcher can be made to hold pretty high pressure, it's just a question of tensile strength and surface area. And if the plastic isn't strong enough, steel wire could be used instead...

My boss suggested using a pneumatic or electrically operated valve, and have a separate fill connection.

Any others?
We had a discussion about using cable ties made from steel. They are quite exppensive, but they are exactly the kind of thing that you need for this application.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
radiotrib

Post by radiotrib »

In fact, being a bass guitarist, it occurs to me that a steel guitar string has just the right fitting at the bridge end ...

A friend of mine uses an elaborate pneumatic release which is triggered by letting the pressure out of the inflater hose once the rocket reaches pressure. The hose is separated from the rocket by a non return valve. Naturally he has a pressure release valve on the rocket side of the contraption in case of emergencies. It smack to me of over engineering, but he's a "macro" kinda guy so he overbuilds everything ... as an exampple, he's the one who built Raschieticus ... http://wrockets.trib-design.com/index.p ... schieticus

K4
---------
I'm not up for a fight, I'm here to meet and discuss - are you?
--------
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

A tip for all you folks out there designing high pressure launchers: conventional release mechanisms tend not to actuate given the pressure forces involved. It appears from the discussions going on in this forum that some of you have already considered this in your designs. Good work anticipating the problem before encountering it. Keep doing this for all of the challenges of high pressure, and you are on your way to spectacular heights!