Intro!! Hi from the US

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Intro!! Hi from the US

Post by reno1 »

Hi my name is Reno and I live in the US. I used to builded alot of water rockets a few years ago and a few months ago got into homemade solid fuel rockets, but I have pulled out my old water rockets and have got my wheels turning again! I love building theme and have had alot of fun doing it in the past! Even started a water rocket club for a while, the club had about 7 members. How I got started in water rockets? Well, one day at work me and a co-worker were just having a little fun on the clock! Only saved 3 water rockets, but I plain on building a very large rocket!! Nice to see a forum. Later Reno from the US.
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intro!! Hi from the US

Post by WRA2 »

Welcome to the forum Reno,

We currently have over 200 members in this forum. From beginners to world record holders there is something for everyone in the Water Rocket Forum. We look forward to your contributions. :)
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

reno1 wrote:Hi my name is Reno and I live in the US. I used to builded alot of water rockets a few years ago and a few months ago got into homemade solid fuel rockets, but I have pulled out my old water rockets and have got my wheels turning again! I love building theme and have had alot of fun doing it in the past! Even started a water rocket club for a while, the club had about 7 members. How I got started in water rockets? Well, one day at work me and a co-worker were just having a little fun on the clock! Only saved 3 water rockets, but I plain on building a very large rocket!! Nice to see a forum. Later Reno from the US.
Welcome Reno! Nice to see people untroducing themselves here! I look forward to see you around and exchange some ideas!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Thanks Lisa and Tim! Will post pics. of my rockets soon, one of them has flown over 200 times with no ploblems!!! It was a keeper.
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

reno1 wrote:Thanks Lisa and Tim! Will post pics. of my rockets soon, one of them has flown over 200 times with no ploblems!!! It was a keeper.
200 times? Wow! That's a lot! Do you use any recovery systems to soften the landings?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Tim, I use a 15'' parachute with what I call a drop-off top. As the rocket turns to make it's return the nose cone falls off, I like to keep them simple. Works great on 1 liters, 2 liters and 95-98% on my FTC rockets. I think I need to make the FTC nose cones just a little bit longer to help with seperation. In the past I used the speed flap or air flap but did not like the extra weight and drag. I also tried baking soda and vinegar but did have good luck with it and it was messy. Would like to post some picture but I don't know how. Any insight. Thanks Reno
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

reno1 wrote:Tim, I use a 15'' parachute with what I call a drop-off top. As the rocket turns to make it's return the nose cone falls off, I like to keep them simple. Works great on 1 liters, 2 liters and 95-98% on my FTC rockets. I think I need to make the FTC nose cones just a little bit longer to help with seperation. In the past I used the speed flap or air flap but did not like the extra weight and drag. I also tried baking soda and vinegar but did have good luck with it and it was messy. Would like to post some picture but I don't know how. Any insight. Thanks Reno
That's really good results with a passive recovery system! Lots of flights with so few crashes! I read a lot of websites where people have the opposite results: the rare success after many crashes!

The chemical deploy with vinegar seems to only really work nicely when you heat up the vinegar so the reaction is super fast and strong. But it is messy and smelly.

To post pictures you should see a box at the bottom of the page where you type in a message that says "Upload attachment". This has a place to describe your images and a "browse" button to tell the computer were to find them on your computer. Just enter a description and browse until you find the file you want and then "add" the attachment. I think after that another box appears that lets you add another one each time you add one.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Thanks Tim for your help. Had my fair shair of crashes before I got it! Too many to count. The trick for the drop off top is that the rocket has to fly straight so that it stalls and air pressure does not force the nose cone to stay on, like it would if it flew in a big arch. I like to build my rockets long so that the cg is way ahead of the cp. Had alot of fun when I was building water rockets and I am glad to be getting back into it, think I might sign up for the 1000' race. Maybe even go after those guys in NY!!! Just kidden.. I can dream HIGH right? Check back later maybe I have some pics. posted. Later Reno
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

reno1 wrote:Thanks Tim for your help. Had my fair shair of crashes before I got it! Too many to count. The trick for the drop off top is that the rocket has to fly straight so that it stalls and air pressure does not force the nose cone to stay on, like it would if it flew in a big arch. I like to build my rockets long so that the cg is way ahead of the cp. Had alot of fun when I was building water rockets and I am glad to be getting back into it, think I might sign up for the 1000' race. Maybe even go after those guys in NY!!! Just kidden.. I can dream HIGH right? Check back later maybe I have some pics. posted. Later Reno
Hi Reno! Welcome to the forum! It's nice to have another experienced builder aboard!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Thanks Mark. It's nice to see a water rocket forum.
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Here are the only rockets that I saved from a few years ago, they all use the drop off top that I was talking about. The one in the middle is old faithfull with over 200 flights easy!!
DSC00153.JPG
DSC00156.JPG
DSC00155.JPG
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

reno1 wrote:Here are the only rockets that I saved from a few years ago, they all use the drop off top that I was talking about. The one in the middle is old faithfull with over 200 flights easy!!
DSC00153.JPG
DSC00156.JPG
DSC00155.JPG
Great looking rockets, Reno1. Thanks for sharing the photos. The FTC rocket is our favorite :wink: Welcome to the forum!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Thanks U.S. Water Rockets1.
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Just wanted to introduce Team Pump It! to the forum. It's made up of me, D. Reno as team leader, my girlfriend Lisa as data logger and camera tech. Will, a good friend of mine, he will be co-engineer, and our kids as the recovery squad. I hope that as a team we will be able have lots of fun, bring something to the sport and maybe get one of the records or two, LOL!
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

reno1 wrote:Just wanted to introduce Team Pump It! to the forum. It's made up of me, D. Reno as team leader, my girlfriend Lisa as data logger and camera tech. Will, a good friend of mine, he will be co-engineer, and our kids as the recovery squad. I hope that as a team we will be able have lots of fun, bring something to the sport and maybe get one of the records or two, LOL!
Welcome to your new team members. Do you need us to change the team name on our team list page? If any of you team members sign up for forum accounts please let me know so I can add them to the WRA2 member group. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your rockets fly. :WRA2: :WRA2:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2: