Hi everyone

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hi everyone

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hey
My name is Christian and I'm from Switzerland. I got involved with water rockets in may or april this year. For my final exams in school I have to write some kind of big essay about (almost) any subject, which I'm free to choose. I first thought about normal pyrorockets, but that seemed a bit dangerous to build myself. And so I ended up building water rockets. Many thanks to "Air Command Water Rockets" from Australia for their awesome webpage and great vids.
If you want to see my rockets go to youtube, my channel is "chriswaterrockets".
glad to meet you all!
regards christian
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chriswaterrockets wrote:Hey
My name is Christian and I'm from Switzerland. I got involved with water rockets in may or april this year. For my final exams in school I have to write some kind of big essay about (almost) any subject, which I'm free to choose. I first thought about normal pyrorockets, but that seemed a bit dangerous to build myself. And so I ended up building water rockets. Many thanks to "Air Command Water Rockets" from Australia for their awesome webpage and great vids.
glad to meet you all!
regards christian
Hi Christian, and welcome! I am impressed with your two parachute tomy timer system! That's the first one I've seen which can do a main/drogue parachute! Nice work!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Hello Christian, we enjoyed watching your videos as well. Like Spaceman Spiff just said, your Tomy Timer parachute system is very nice. We can't read your comments because we only speak American English, so it is difficult to see what you have written, but the visuals are worth 1,000 words.

Can you explain the purpose of your dual deploy system? Is this for a backup parachute in case on fails to work or is the design created so that a small chute is used initially and then a second chute comes out once the rocket is much lower?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hey there and thanks for your nice responses. I feel honored that the water rocket record holder suscribed to my videos!!
About the second parachute: I first had just one and the rocket still took some damage when hitting the ground. Especially my fins are not too developed yet... So I tought I'll just add another chute. And as I only have one good Tomy Timer, I came up with the idea, that the first chute opens the door of the second, when deploying. That's why the string of the first chute goes beneath the rubberband, which keeps the door of the second chute closed.
I just tested it today and I have to say, it didn't work perfectly. The second chute was deployed as expected, but it didn't open. I guess that's because of the first chute, which is already open at the time the second chute is deployed and so the rocket doesn't fall fast enough to get enough air into the second chute to open it. I'll put a video on youtube about that sometime.
The solution would be to deploy both chutes at the same time.

christian

PS: Can anyone recommend a good glue for splicing, which is available in Europe?
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Welcome Christian! Sorry your parachute didn't work. It does sound like a scheme that would be useful once you perfect it. Sorry I don't know what glue you can use. That question comes up often on this forum and a coupel suggestions were made but no conclusions were made.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Ripper
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ripper »

Hi Christian

Seems like we share more than our names :shock: I've also developed a 2-stage parachute deployment, but with radiocontrol and with one chute deploying independantly of the other - further details in my own post.
As many other europeans we're also both looking for a suitable splicing-glue. polyurethane-based glues seems to be the choice, but i can only get pu-glues meant for wood and they foam-up all over the place and don't hold well on the bottles.

I hope that we'll both will find something soon.
Christian
Christian
http://www.c-thomsen.dk/wrockets/
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ripper wrote:Hi Christian

Seems like we share more than our names :shock: I've also developed a 2-stage parachute deployment, but with radiocontrol and with one chute deploying independantly of the other - further details in my own post.
As many other europeans we're also both looking for a suitable splicing-glue. polyurethane-based glues seems to be the choice, but i can only get pu-glues meant for wood and they foam-up all over the place and don't hold well on the bottles.

I hope that we'll both will find something soon.
Christian
Hi
Nice to meet you! I've already seen a video of your chutes. Looks great! And by the way, your explanation to the de laval nozzle, was impressive!!!
Yeah the glues: I just might have found a good one today: SikaBond®-T2. It's a polyurethane based construction adhesive. Sounds pretty similar to PL Premium, doesn't it? I haven't tried it out yet though. Araldite is also a good choice, but it is quite expensive.

greets christian
Ripper
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ripper »

That sounds interesting!
Streches >300% Adheres to most surfaces, pvc, glass, metals etc.

I'll try to locate a dealer!

Thx
Christian
Christian
http://www.c-thomsen.dk/wrockets/
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Ripper wrote:That sounds interesting!
Streches >300% Adheres to most surfaces, pvc, glass, metals etc.

I'll try to locate a dealer!

Thx
Christian
Those specifications sound a lot like PL Premium.

By the way, PL does indeed foam up quite a bit, especially when you use it in a humid place or if you follow the advice to moisten the surfaces to be bonded. I made the mistake of trying to make a smooth fillet joint on my fins with PL one time and it bubbled and foamed up and looked like crap when it dried.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

chriswaterrockets wrote:Hey
glad to meet you all!
regards christian
Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum Christian,

We look forward to your contributions.

If you have any new youtube videos that you want to contribute, we have the ability to embed the videos directly in the posts.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2: