Stage 2 Launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stage 2 Launcher

Post by Graveyard »

I apologize for the large photos... but here are some quick shots of My latest design. This is a tube style launcher. The water is poured into the lower canister and an empty rocket is positioned over the tube and clamped. The remote allows you to pressurize the canister (left toggle) to pump the water up into the rocket. The right toggle pressurizes the rocket up to 115 psi. I have this unit regulated at 100 psi max. Everything is anodized aluminum, stainless steel or brass. No rust !!!...........enjoy!!
Oh yeah, the best part....the big red button is for blast-off...lol (the entire unit is operated from a 7 gallon portable air tank) I'm considering adding a Co2 option.
Attachments
100_1387.JPG
100_1387.JPG (729.65 KiB) Viewed 439 times
100_1386.JPG
100_1386.JPG (580.24 KiB) Viewed 438 times
100_1385.JPG
100_1385.JPG (426.75 KiB) Viewed 433 times
100_1384.JPG
100_1384.JPG (516.36 KiB) Viewed 429 times
100_1383.JPG
100_1383.JPG (564.34 KiB) Viewed 430 times
100_1382.JPG
100_1382.JPG (587.63 KiB) Viewed 426 times
100_1381.JPG
100_1381.JPG (725.35 KiB) Viewed 426 times
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Stage 2 Launcher

Post by reno1 »

WOW!, That makes mine look like a dinosaur. LOL. Great job!
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Man, you're a genius!!!
Most of all I like that red button!
christian
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

It´s like sex on weels...or better say...on fins ?

You could make it for 1500 psi.
It´s necessary to think big since you never know when you will want to go higher or race in WRA.
That way the money you spend in that launcher would be the necessary one avoiding repeting it.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

:shock: OMG! That launcher is like a Ferrari and we're all driving Fords!!! That's the sweetest piece of kit I've ever laid my eyes on!

I've seen some really impressive launchers in the past, but yours is simply the BEST ever.

You're making a name for yourself as one of the best water rocket builders ever!

8)
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

Want an idea ? Start selling it on the web, or selling custom launchers.

Anyway you can only sell as it´s since it must pass by some sort of test of an official entity like the one that tests toys and scuba tanks.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Tim Chen wrote::shock: OMG! That launcher is like a Ferrari and we're all driving Fords!!! That's the sweetest piece of kit I've ever laid my eyes on!

I've seen some really impressive launchers in the past, but yours is simply the BEST ever.

You're making a name for yourself as one of the best water rocket builders ever!

8)
Hey, I like my Ford. It's built tough.......Ford tough. LOL
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

And it looks like Graveyard likes the Ford stuff too. Hint: look in the back ground in the pics.
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Thanks very much to Everyone for all the comments!! It's been a nice project over the last six months or so. I have built 2 launchers...twins. I'm still going to build a splitter to be able to fire both simitaniously.
Does Anyone here use CO2 ? I've been looking at 20 oz. bottles...Lowes has a Kobalt with regulator but I'm not sure about it.
I'm wondering if CO2 will frost over my valves and regulators in my controller.

Again, Thanks all
maybe some video soon 8)
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

Graveyard wrote:Thanks very much to Everyone for all the comments!! It's been a nice project over the last six months or so. I have built 2 launchers...twins. I'm still going to build a splitter to be able to fire both simitaniously.
Does Anyone here use CO2 ? I've been looking at 20 oz. bottles...Lowes has a Kobalt with regulator but I'm not sure about it.

Again, Thanks all
maybe some video soon 8)
VERY COOL LAUNCHER!

If you use a regulator there's little chance of the tank freezing up, but the gas coming out will still be quite cold so it may cause problems if the plumbing is not designed for it. There are also some metals and gasses that react and create oxides that may gum up the works. I read some warnings about this a long time ago but do not recall the details.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Graveyard wrote:Thanks very much to Everyone for all the comments!! It's been a nice project over the last six months or so. I have built 2 launchers...twins. I'm still going to build a splitter to be able to fire both simitaniously.

Again, Thanks all
maybe some video soon 8)
Keep in mind that if you plan on entering any of the competitions that CO2 is not allowed. Also a 20oz bottle will only be good for a couple of launches (with a standard 2 liter bottle rocket. If you go bigger then it may fill it once).
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

No kidding? Just a couple of launches... I really thought it would be more. A week ago or so I had found some info on a spud cannon. They were using the 12 gram pellet gun co2 canisters. I forget exactly what the numbers were but it seems that at 100 psi, the 12 gram canister would fill approx 43 cubic inches. Don't hold me to this because I don't have my books in front of me but I think I was converting 1.5 liters to cubic inches and it came in around 63-65 cubic inches...@100psi. I didn't take into account any stretch whatsoever. My figures were strictly ballpark.
At any rate, it kinda sounds like it could get costly...tank rental, refills, gauges, etc...
I use a portable 7 gallon air tank with 140 psi pop-off valve. I can get several 80 psi launches and then several more at a reduced pressure. The Kids really had a blast with it on the 4th of July plus it was a good troubleshooting session.
Thanks for the input about the co2
Later 8)
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Graveyard wrote:No kidding? Just a couple of launches... I really thought it would be more. A week ago or so I had found some info on a spud cannon. They were using the 12 gram pellet gun co2 canisters. I forget exactly what the numbers were but it seems that at 100 psi, the 12 gram canister would fill approx 43 cubic inches. Don't hold me to this because I don't have my books in front of me but I think I was converting 1.5 liters to cubic inches and it came in around 63-65 cubic inches...@100psi. I didn't take into account any stretch whatsoever. My figures were strictly ballpark.
At any rate, it kinda sounds like it could get costly...tank rental, refills, gauges, etc...
I use a portable 7 gallon air tank with 140 psi pop-off valve. I can get several 80 psi launches and then several more at a reduced pressure. The Kids really had a blast with it on the 4th of July plus it was a good troubleshooting session.
Later 8)
I just calculated it out:
1 liter = 61.0237441 cubic inches
1.5 liter = 91.5356161 cubic inches
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Okay, 1 liter is in the 60's...I told ya not to hold me to it...haha
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

Graveyard wrote:No kidding? Just a couple of launches... I really thought it would be more. A week ago or so I had found some info on a spud cannon. They were using the 12 gram pellet gun co2 canisters. I forget exactly what the numbers were but it seems that at 100 psi, the 12 gram canister would fill approx 43 cubic inches. Don't hold me to this because I don't have my books in front of me but I think I was converting 1.5 liters to cubic inches and it came in around 63-65 cubic inches...@100psi. I didn't take into account any stretch whatsoever. My figures were strictly ballpark.
Later 8)
Think of how much air remains in the launcher and hose. That could get expensive in a hurry. A larger tank might work but will be more costly. Much better to have a renewable source like the tank you fill with a compressor.
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds