water cooler bottle launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

water cooler bottle launcher

Post by Brian »

last night my dad brang home an 11L water cooler bottle and im wondering what launcher could launch this large nozzle bottle.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: water cooler bottle launcher

Post by Tim Chen »

Brian wrote:last night my dad brang home an 11L water cooler bottle and im wondering what launcher could launch this large nozzle bottle.
I think you would need a large rubber stopper with a hole in the middle to feed in the air and a supersized cable tie mechanism to hold it down. There's a lip around the neck of the big water jugs I looked at which would be a good place to grab on with cable ties.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

Tim Chen wrote:
Brian wrote:last night my dad brang home an 11L water cooler bottle and im wondering what launcher could launch this large nozzle bottle.
I think you would need a large rubber stopper with a hole in the middle to feed in the air and a supersized cable tie mechanism to hold it down. There's a lip around the neck of the big water jugs I looked at which would be a good place to grab on with cable ties.
I agree that a cable tie launcher would be best to launch a water cooler bottle. Be careful though they do not hold as much pressure as a soda bottle. I saw on Mythbusters that they could explode one of these with only 90PSI.. Looks good for lifting heavy payloads or a 1st stage though.
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Yeah they could make a great mega-booster! But they are not made for pressure, like the carbonated drink bottles are (they are designed strong enough not to explode even if you drop them).

My first idea was a plywood thing to reinforce the flat (=weak) bottom of them. See the drawing. Maybe with more than just the 2 vertical sheets on the drawing. You could even have a staging mechanism on top (and separate inflation? Then you could take both stages to their limit, even when the limits of each are different!).

There is a video on YouTube of someone testing a water rocket made of these tanks. It exploded ... (see if you can find out where it burst? Ask the poster for the original movie, with full resolution and all frames intact?)

Regards
Soren
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Oops I forgot the drawing:
Attachments
mineral-bottle-reinforcement.PNG
mineral-bottle-reinforcement.PNG (5.32 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

dongfang wrote:Hi,

Yeah they could make a great mega-booster! But they are not made for pressure, like the carbonated drink bottles are (they are designed strong enough not to explode even if you drop them).

My first idea was a plywood thing to reinforce the flat (=weak) bottom of them. See the drawing. Maybe with more than just the 2 vertical sheets on the drawing. You could even have a staging mechanism on top (and separate inflation? Then you could take both stages to their limit, even when the limits of each are different!).

There is a video on YouTube of someone testing a water rocket made of these tanks. It exploded ... (see if you can find out where it burst? Ask the poster for the original movie, with full resolution and all frames intact?)

Regards
Soren
Won't that add too much weight? I think that the perfomance of this (even with a lower pressure make these more sutible to use as boosters. There is a lot of volume in those and a large nozzle which is perfect for lifting a fully loaded second stage. I think I remember seeing a video somewhere where someone launched a pumpkin 200 feet with one of those.
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Yes, I saw the pumpkin launch some time back...amazing that it lifted off so nice!
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Graveyard wrote:Yes, I saw the pumpkin launch some time back...amazing that it lifted off so nice!
There's a video of it and it's really neat to see the way the bottle swells up and deforms as the pressure tries to push the heavy pumpkin off the ground.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
team-helder
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by team-helder »

lol
water rockets are fun what i mean with fun wen u put some foam in it and let ur dad leanch it right next to it !
ferlyn388

Post by ferlyn388 »

I think that bottle launcher looks like it would be lots of fun to use. It is simple to build and is sure to be lots of fun until someone loses an eye. Nice water cooler bottle launcher, right?
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

ferlyn388 wrote:I think that bottle launcher looks like it would be lots of fun to use. It is simple to build and is sure to be lots of fun until someone loses an eye. Nice water cooler bottle launcher, right?

I detect a SPAMMER.

You've been reported!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison