which track pump

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

which track pump

Post by 160psi »

Does anyone have experience with any of the good quality bicycle pumps? I am looking at the Topeak Joeblow Ace which say it is good for 260psi and the SKS Airbase Pro which is rated at 230psi. Both of these are too expensive to write off on the first launch!

Thanks for any information
Bellarossa
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: which track pump

Post by Bellarossa »

160psi wrote:Does anyone have experience with any of the good quality bicycle pumps? I am looking at the Topeak Joeblow Ace which say it is good for 260psi and the SKS Airbase Pro which is rated at 230psi. Both of these are too expensive to write off on the first launch!

Hi!

I use a SKS Rennkompressor 75Th Anniversary Edition for my water rockets and my bikes too. They have super quality and work great. If you use large rockets I say to get a cheap foot pump because this is easier labor and big rockets don't hold high pressure.

I am looking at next getting a Zefal Double Shot Double Action because it has best of both worlds.
_ .~'''~._ .~' Dom '~._ .~''~._
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by 160psi »

Thanks for that - what pressure does the rennkompressor realistically get to - my rockets are small and high pressure, ie 1-3 litre and I have been launching at 150 but fried my pump.

Maybe a foot pump to get to say 100psi followed by a bike pump might be the answer?
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

160psi wrote:Thanks for that - what pressure does the rennkompressor realistically get to - my rockets are small and high pressure, ie 1-3 litre and I have been launching at 150 but fried my pump.

Maybe a foot pump to get to say 100psi followed by a bike pump might be the answer?

I do this method but I have a electric battery powered portable to get to about 100PSI and then a cheap bicycle pump to top it off but I never go higher than 130 because my rockets do not last at higher air pressure.
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

160psi wrote:Thanks for that - what pressure does the rennkompressor realistically get to - my rockets are small and high pressure, ie 1-3 litre and I have been launching at 150 but fried my pump.

I do this method but I have a electric battery powered portable to get to about 100PSI and then a cheap bicycle pump to top it off but I never go higher than 130 because my rockets do not last at higher air pressure.
FranksRacingFamily

Post by FranksRacingFamily »

160psi wrote:Does anyone have experience with any of the good quality bicycle pumps? I am looking at the Topeak Joeblow Ace which say it is good for 260psi and the SKS Airbase Pro which is rated at 230psi. Both of these are too expensive to write off on the first launch!

I purchased this very same pump this weekend and recommend it very highly. The 3 stage design works as advertised. It pumps up to 60PSI very fast and continues easily up to 260PSI. I was able to go to 300PSI without problems but stopped for fear of breaking my rocket. This pump is very well made and was only $70.
FranksRacingFamily

Post by FranksRacingFamily »

FranksRacingFamily wrote:

I purchased this very same pump this weekend and recommend it very highly. The 3 stage design works as advertised. It pumps up to 60PSI very fast and continues easily up to 260PSI. I was able to go to 300PSI without problems but stopped for fear of breaking my rocket. This pump is very well made and was only $70.
I forgot to say thanks for bringing this pump to my attention. I would never had known there was such a thing as a stirrup pump that could reach this pressure without reading of it in your question. I hope my review is not too late and you bought something else. I want to return the favor.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

I forgot to say thanks for bringing this pump to my attention. I would never had known there was such a thing as a stirrup pump that could reach this pressure without reading of it in your question. I hope my review is not too late and you bought something else. I want to return the favor.
Hey man, not to be bragging or anything but my brother and I have a pump that will do 10 times that pressure. It's the Axsor FX3000 and it goes to 3000PSI and it's manually operated. On the other hand, the 3-stage pump you have has the advantage of being very high volume at lower pressures. I think an ideal setup would be to use both pumps in series to first fill and then top off the rocket.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by 160psi »

Hey man, not to be bragging or anything but my brother and I have a pump that will do 10 times that pressure. It's the Axsor FX3000 and it goes to 3000PSI and it's manually operated. On the other hand, the 3-stage pump you have has the advantage of being very high volume at lower pressures. I think an ideal setup would be to use both pumps in series to first fill and then top off the rocket.[/quote]

what is the volume like on this pump? For example how many pumps does it take to take a 1 litre to say 200psi?

Thanks
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

160psi wrote:
Hey man, not to be bragging or anything but my brother and I have a pump that will do 10 times that pressure. It's the Axsor FX3000 and it goes to 3000PSI and it's manually operated. On the other hand, the 3-stage pump you have has the advantage of being very high volume at lower pressures. I think an ideal setup would be to use both pumps in series to first fill and then top off the rocket.

what is the volume like on this pump? For example how many pumps does it take to take a 1 litre to say 200psi?

Thanks
I've never counted the pumps and never used just the pump alone. We have a foot pump that we use to get to 120PSI fast and then use the FX3000 to go higher. We can get a 1.5l rocket to 300PSI in about 15 minutes with both pumps combined. If we have electric power nearby we can also use an electric car tire pump to get to 200PSI. The pump is rated for 250PSI but we stop at 200 and finish with the FX3000 because the electric pumps tend to overheat near their max rated pressure and break.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

If you find nothing satisfactory, you could consider trying to build your own.

I did potato shooting for some time (still do), and I ran into the problem of not being able to find a pump that could stand up to it. Spudders (potato cannon builders) often make their own pumps. Search for "stirrup pump" on SpudFiles.

I have made one too. That's presented at: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#180053.

Regards
Soren

(whose other, consumer-rubbish pump overheated and blew off the hose today, after trying to get a rather large rocket to 8 bar).
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Checking it out now! Thanks!!!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Dang, what are your wrockets made out of ? The bottles I've used are only good to around 140 psi

Later
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Graveyard wrote:Dang, what are your wrockets made out of ? The bottles I've used are only good to around 140 psi

Later
Some of these guys have bottles in their country that are made with super thick PET plastic so they can be re-used many times instead of melted down and recycled. Those bottles I have read can hold over 200PSI!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

does any one know of a mainland european shop where i can get a good pump 250psi or more , ive spent an hour trying to find one and cznt find znyone in france who offers this kind of material?