Launch report: 27 sept. Altitude of 405' or 123 meter

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder

Launch report: 27 sept. Altitude of 405' or 123 meter

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* »

27th of sept we launched our 8 liter rocket again.
We launched it at a safe pressure of 7 bar.

Because we wanted to test with different volumes of water inside the rocket.
But we broke a fin on the first flight.. so no 2nd flite..

The first launch:
2 liters @ 7 bar.
The second launch we planned:
1,5 liters @ 7 bar.
And maybe a third launch with 2,5 liters. Just to see the difference in altitudes.

Next time we will launch at a higher pressure and bigger parachutes :) So the fins stay on during the touch down with mother earth :wink: ..

Watch the movie and leave some comments!

[youtube][/youtube]

Daan.[D&P] Rockets*
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Re: Launch report: 27 sept. Altitude of 405' or 123 meter

Post by thampson »

good job guys nice launch . .bad luck with the fin ... I see you deployed 2 parachutes. Can you tell me what diameter they are. Also did they deploy together or one then the other ??

good luck with the next launch

-todd-
HHWRSA
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*

Its a dual deploy system. Both parachutes are deployed at the same time. And the diameter of the parachutes is around 50 cm's or something.

Pleun (Team mate) is a member of a rocket group named DARE in Delft. They are specialized in pyro rockets. And they have some ripped parachutes left. That parachutes are so big that we are going to cut a nice cirke out of it and use it for waterrockets! They are realy strong!
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*

to get back at the parachute system.. The 2 parachute systems are working undipendend so if 1 failes we have a back up.. :) But they are timed that both parachutes come out exactly the same :WRA2:
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:Its a dual deploy system. Both parachutes are deployed at the same time. And the diameter of the parachutes is around 50 cm's or something.

Pleun (Team mate) is a member of a rocket group named DARE in Delft. They are specialized in pyro rockets. And they have some ripped parachutes left. That parachutes are so big that we are going to cut a nice cirke out of it and use it for waterrockets! They are realy strong!
I have always had a fear of using multiple parachutes together because I was warned that they would have an increased risk of tangling the strings together and failing to deploy. Is there additional risk when using dual parachutes, or is there a way to mount them that makes this a non issue?

I would like to know if multiple chutes would be better than one because there would be a backup if one failed?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

A disadvantage of multiple chutes is that there is more risk of tangles especially in trees. More line equils more tangles and less likely that the rocket will not free itself from the tree.

If the chutes are deployed in a main/drogue manner then the advantages of that system would cancel the risks (by reducing drift and allowing the rocket to land closer to the launcher thus reducing the likelyhood that a tree recovery would be needed) Unless you llaunch in a risky area with lots of trees (not recommended).
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds
thampson

Post by thampson »

HI Daan, thanks for the info on your chutes ... we are going after a drogue and main deply to reduce drift, we are also looking at a cross chute as well to reduce drift.

Problem with this config is that there is no backup, if the drogue is too late or fails or you launch at lower pressures .. neither will deploy .. :(

-todd-
HHWRSA
HHWRSA
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

thampson wrote:HI Daan, thanks for the info on your chutes ... we are going after a drogue and main deply to reduce drift, we are also looking at a cross chute as well to reduce drift.

Problem with this config is that there is no backup, if the drogue is too late or fails or you launch at lower pressures .. neither will deploy .. :(

-todd-
HHWRSA
I love the idea of a main/drogue parachute deploy system, but I am worried that using two chutes increases the chance of the parachutes tangling with each other and crashing the rocket.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
thampson

Post by thampson »

Tim,

I am rebuilding the dual chute deploy at the moment. To try to minimize any tangles, what I did was have the drogue module below the main chute module, also the line that connects the drogue to the rocket is taped to the base near the fins, in effect what this does is have the rocket nose down trailing the drogue. When the main deploys, it is furthest away possible from the drogue and its line. I Also made the main chute leader shorter so that it shouldnt reach the drogue when it deploys, plus taped the main chute around the CG so that again its away from the drogue line.

We will see how this works in practice when I try it next weekend, hopefully I will have some video to show

-todd-
HHWRSA
HHWRSA
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

That sounds like a logical plan. Please keep us posted on how it works!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise