Oberon WR sais Hi

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Oberon WR
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oberon WR sais Hi

Post by Oberon WR »

Hi folks,

We are Oberon WR, a group of Belgian 4 people who are very much interested in waterrockets. We are all members of Urania. It's a astronomiecenter in Hove (Antwerp), Belgium. We just started working together last summer but, we had
allot of expierience. So everything went smoothly. we started by making a simple 2l rocket. but after a few days we made a 6l and a 8l rocket. because of instability we moved back from the 8l to 2l and tried to make a 2l rocket that was extremely stable. that's were we are now. the thing flew about 90m at 7 bar then crushed into the ground. now we are busy with a 4l super stable rocket. this time we will mount a parachute.

We hope to get some answers here on the questions we have. were just starters.

Anyhow greets from Belgium

Oberon WR
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Oberon WR sais Hi

Post by andicirk »

welcome to the forum ,

i hope that your parachute system works out for you , there are loads of ideas and tested systems for parachute systems here ,
i would like to know what type of launcher you use etc ( as i am based in france and maybe you havbe access to the same materials , but using different methods)

any way best of luck and once again .... welcome
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Oberon WR wrote:Hi folks,

We are Oberon WR, a group of Belgian 4 people who are very much interested in waterrockets. We are all members of Urania. It's a astronomiecenter in Hove (Antwerp), Belgium. We just started working together last summer but, we had
allot of expierience. So everything went smoothly. we started by making a simple 2l rocket. but after a few days we made a 6l and a 8l rocket. because of instability we moved back from the 8l to 2l and tried to make a 2l rocket that was extremely stable. that's were we are now. the thing flew about 90m at 7 bar then crushed into the ground. now we are busy with a 4l super stable rocket. this time we will mount a parachute.

Oberon WR
Welcome to the forum guys! I love your avatar!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Oberon WR
Welcome to the forum and the WRA2 Oberon WR,

Our teams and forum members are very helpful so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

We look forward to your contributions to the forum and the WRA2 competitions. :WRA2:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Oberon WR
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you guys here. Are you named from the character in A Midsummer Night’s Dream?
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Oberon WR
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Oberon WR »

Our name comes from the name of the group of people who are: under the age of 25 and member of Urania
you can have a look here maybe http://www.urania.be

For You andicirk: (and anybody who wishes to know)
Our launcher is based on a coupling of a garden hose like gardena
but We use a metal one. it's much more sturdy than a plastic one
but you can use a plastic one instead if you couldent find the metal one.

to make the nozzle you can use the plastic piece you turn onto the water tap (use the one that is widest)
and glue a normal bottle cap into it. before you glue it. make sure you sanded the cap down.

I can try to upload some pictures of my launcher
but will do that another time

Cheers
Oberon Wr
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

Oberon WR wrote:Our name comes from the name of the group of people who are: under the age of 25 and member of Urania

to make the nozzle you can use the plastic piece you turn onto the water tap (use the one that is widest)
and glue a normal bottle cap into it. before you glue it. make sure you sanded the cap down.

Cheers
Oberon Wr
Yes! Please show photos! I would like to see what you have done! Welcome!
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

Oberon WR wrote:Our name comes from the name of the group of people who are: under the age of 25 and member of Urania

Cheers
Oberon Wr
Welcome to the forum.

I also would love to see the pictures. It is always interesting to see new designs.
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds
Oberon WR
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Oberon WR »

here are some photo's from our launcher

the metal bar you see on the second picture is my guide-rail
it cost me about 7€ / 8,9$

I've seen some designs that cost about 100$ but they don't work very good.
this design allows the rocket to turn around the launcher, so you don't lose Energy when the rocket is trying to rotate.

the rocket is launched by touching the brake lever.
Attachments
Photo 3
Photo 3
IMG_0016.jpg (184.8 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
IMG_0015.jpg (200.79 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Photo 1
Photo 1
IMG_0014.jpg (187.05 KiB) Viewed 193 times
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hey and welcome to the forum!

Your launcher looks great! I love that bicycle brake! I simply have a release string, works great to!

christian
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Oberon WR wrote:here are some photo's from our launcher

the metal bar you see on the second picture is my guide-rail
it cost me about 7€ / 8,9$

I've seen some designs that cost about 100$ but they don't work very good.
this design allows the rocket to turn around the launcher, so you don't lose Energy when the rocket is trying to rotate.

the rocket is launched by touching the brake lever.
That's a nice idea using the bicycle brake lever to control the launcher. You could apply a lot of force with that arrangement . Welcome to the forum!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Oberon WR
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Oberon WR »

Thanks for the warm welcome here.
and for the god comments.

and if anyone has some good ideas for improvement of our launcher
we want to know about it
as I said we are just beginners.

Cheers
Oberon WR
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Oberon WR wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome here.
and for the god comments.

and if anyone has some good ideas for improvement of our launcher
we want to know about it
as I said we are just beginners.

Cheers
Oberon WR
One thing I notice about your launcher is that the base looks really heavy. If you could make it smaller or less bulky you may find that it's a lot more convenient to carry around. When I go launching I can only carry so much stuff and when lugging water rockets and jugs of water and my launcher into the fields I am happy to have a small launcher. Some people like a heavy launcher to keep it stable but I find the weight of the rocket does a good job. I also put a space on the launcher to hold the water jug and that acts as a weight to hold it steady.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I also put a space on the launcher to hold the water jug and that acts as a weight to hold it steady.
Oh, that's a neat idea... I might steal that!
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Oberon WR
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Oberon WR »

when we launch our rockets we like the platform to be stable as you said. I also like the Idea to use he water jug to act as a weight.

we use a little car (home made) that contains our water so can take al lot of it with you.
our launch site is just 500m from the place where we join and we are with 4. so weight isn't an issue.

But your right when you say that it is easier when you've got a lighter platform.