Greetings from Canada (eh)

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Alex

Greetings from Canada (eh)

Post by Alex »

Well, I'm a 14 year old kid in 10th grade....so i have no money and no funds..sigh....Why did you fire me A&W? i was a great Casheir! :evil:
anywho, I got fascinated with Rockets, first with NASA, you know, Space shuttle and all that when I was very young, like 3 years old. Then I got cool with Model Rockets....Made many and had hundreds of flights without a hitch...Then, i decided to retire from Model Rockets....Settle down, and watch TV Like the lazy bum i am....Ten I saw This video [youtube][/youtube]
I was amazed....At the dedication people had for Water Rockets and that they actually go beyond the small bottles with fins you pumped up when you were in Summer Camp....So Now i've slowly collected water bottles and am stacking them first off to just get the Shape of a rocket...I plan to have 4 boosters around 1 main tube that goes up about 2 meters....Then have a small 2nd stage which uses the air that goes by the rocket as it goes up, that air goes through a hole into a tube which goes into the 2nd satge, eventually, it'll go up and small light wheels on the side wil roll off the edges of the 1st stage, carrying it up, ity's a simple way for staging and no problems....And this is ALL without a fligh computer...I have no brain power to make some wacky computer chip thingy.

Alll I've done so far is stack bottles on eachother to try to get the shape of the rocket, just to see the shape of the rocket, give me an idea of what it looks like...
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Canada (eh)

Post by WRA2 »

Welcome to the water rocket forum Alex
:W

We have members here at all experience levels. Everyone from beginners to the world record holding teams. Feel free to ask questions. Everyone will be glad to assist you. :WRA2:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks. I have one question though....

Yu know those Aquafina water bottles? there the ones you an really just hold on yor right hand and drink...would they be good for flight? ro should I go uy 2 littre bottles and such.
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

They would probably work but may not hold as much pressure as bottles that contain carbonated beverages. The "water bottles" tend to be manufactured using thinner plastic and will fail at lower pressures. Usually "water bottles" are not recommended.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Alex

Post by Alex »

well, there goes 3 days of my life i won't get back...back to the old drawing board...
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Alex wrote:well, there goes 3 days of my life i won't get back...back to the old drawing board...
Alex, just wait till you spend two to three weeks on building a rocket with a recovery system and the system doesn't work :o But that is just part of the hobby and the day your water rocket flies and your parachute opens for the first time is a day you never forget. Welcome to the wonderful world of water rockets and can't wait to see pictures of that monster your going to build. :D
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hey Alex,

Welcome to the Forum. Great to have you here!
Your plans sound awesome...just one thing: If I were you I just wouldn't start with a rocket 2 meters high, with boosters and a second stage... Just take it easy and start small...I did it somehow like that. It's really not worth it to shoot a huge rocket in the sky before you have a chute system that works. Because "what goes up, must come down" (right spaceman spiff :D )
I don't want to decourage you or anything, though! Would love to see stuff work out for ya!

cheers christian
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Hi Alex. Nice to have you here. If'm sure you'll be making rockets 10 times better than the ones you have seen so far in no time! Keep plugging away and you'll do great!
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Alex

Post by Alex »

chriswaterrockets wrote:Hey Alex,

Welcome to the Forum. Great to have you here!
Your plans sound awesome...just one thing: If I were you I just wouldn't start with a rocket 2 meters high, with boosters and a second stage... Just take it easy and start small...I did it somehow like that. It's really not worth it to shoot a huge rocket in the sky before you have a chute system that works. Because "what goes up, must come down" (right spaceman spiff :D )
I don't want to decourage you or anything, though! Would love to see stuff work out for ya!

cheers christian
Yeah, I honeslt don't know what i'll make. I might just start out with a simple bunch oif 2 Litre bottles on top of each other with fins and a good Parachute....oh well. at least i know that living in alberta means LOTS of fields and not many trees. Plus I live in a small town so finding a launch site is plain easy. Weather, how ever is pretty wild here, 1 week it is nice and the other it's bad....Shnoks there called....Somethign with the stream of wind and the rockies and all that junk
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. Nice to see people from far and wide joining in the fun!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Alex

Post by Alex »

Yeah, and some good news about a launch site, My Moms boyfirend has a farm, owns 20 acres of land! all of it fields! barely a tree in sight....maybe about 5-10m trees around......not big though......(thank goodness) So a launch site is easy......