Juno II & III

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Juno II & III

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hey there,

Have a look at my latest video. It shows the launches of Juno II and Juno III. The latter is equipped with an altimeter!
Today I went to launch her again and reached 137 meters!

[youtube][/youtube]
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Juno II & III

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Those were really nice launches! Much better than the explosions and other disasters I am able to deliver here in Zuerich :) But wait, I have a plan B cooking in the secret lab.

Tell me, that altimeter, does that log altitude every few (milli)seconds, to download to a computer? Or is it only the "peak altitude" type?
I have ordered this fancy multi-channel flight data logger from Austria so long ago that I have already forgotten what it was called and where I found it. Still got nothing (but also did not pay yet). The ironical thing is that that guy needs to get the altitude sensor - from - tadaaa - Switzerland. Guess I will end up paying customs twice for it - first into Austria and then back into Switzerland :(

And, how do you deploy the parachute? It looks nice and reliable.

Have you considered using booster rockets, combined with a slower and longer burning main engine?

Regards
Soren
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

chriswaterrockets wrote:
Have a look at my latest video. It shows the launches of Juno II and Juno III.
Thanks, Christian! That was a really fine video, excellent launches. Your deployment system is clearly very reliable, do you have any particular tips?
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

dongfang wrote:
And, how do you deploy the parachute? It looks nice and reliable.
Hey Soren, you must have been writing that just as I was thinking the same thing!
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

chriswaterrockets wrote:Hey there,

Have a look at my latest video. It shows the launches of Juno II and Juno III. The latter is equipped with an altimeter!
Today I went to launch her again and reached 137 meters!

[youtube][/youtube]
What video editing software do you use? The video edits are very professional looking. How long did it take you to make that video?
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Alex

Post by Alex »

Nice! pretty good Hights there, man I can't wait to get my 1st rocket up. Here's the stats I've made... for it....It's nothing fancy....4 drop away boosters, all of them 2 litre bottles, then 4 2 litre Bottles on top of eachother (spilced and stuff) then another 2 litre bottle at the top containing the parachute and stuff.
http://polyplex.org/rockets/simulation/ This site says with all that stuff it will go up 611 feet. But it dosn't really have a drop away booster optiuon so it will most likely not go that high, maybe around 590-605 range.......
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Alex, how do you splice 2 liter bottles?

Regards
Soren
Alex

Post by Alex »

I do not know. I'm still in the planning stage :oops:
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Thanks, for your answers and your interest in my "work" (work can be so fun... :D )

Soren, The altimeter can actually do both. I'm using it just as a max altitude altimeter. But if I had a logger I could connect it and then I could download a graph to the computer. The logger is quite expensive so I only bought the altimeter to start. It has a LCD Display which shows the peak altitude after each flight.

The Parachute: Here are some pictures to start with:
mini-DSC06120.JPG
mini-DSC06121.JPG
mini-DSC06422.JPG
DSC05834.JPG
Ok, I use a Tomy Timer to deploy my parachute. I works good. You just have to know roughly how long it takes the rocket to get to apogee.
I cut a rather big rectangular piece out of a bottle and glued in a folded piece of cardbord. You see that on the first pic behind the chute and on the second one you see it from the back. Form another bottle cut out the door.
Now you've got a big chute compartment. That's good because you can use large chute and you don't have to pack them so tight.
The yellow rubber is secured with the metal pin screwed into the white handle of the timer. When you turn the handle you stretch the rubber. Now you can set the time you want. (Do some tests before and mesure how long it takes for the timer to do one revolution) Always set a little less than you actually think. It just sucks to see the chute come out too late and the rocket crash.
Then you have to prevent the timer from turning. I use a piece of plastic and put that between the handle and this yellow wheel. The piece of plastic is also secured to the launcher. So the timer begins to turn at launch.
When it has fully turned back the rubber is released and then the black elastic (third picture) opens the door and the parachute simply falls out.
Tips?? Uhm...Just pack the chute nicely. and test it before you launch it...
You mean dorp away boosters? I thought about that, yes. But I would have to make a completly new launcher. So I don't think I'll try boosters in the near future. I'd rather go two-stage. That just amazes me!

Bill, I use Windows Movie Maker. Works great. There are not so many functions but there's enough for me. Takes me probably an hour or so. Depends on the length of the video of course.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Hi Christian,
I admire the simplicity of your Tomy timer deploy. I might revisit the design because I'm starting to have second thoughts about all the work and weight my servo design involved. Do you have a scale? I'd like to know how much that timer module weighs by itself and what kind of toy you stripped it out of. Thanks for the update.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Great job on your video Christian! Alot of guys really like those tomy timers, I bet the kids are wondering where there toys went! LOL. Keep them coming, I plan on doing some videos soon, now that the fields are clear. :D
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Christian,

Thanks for the tip on Windows Movie Maker. I got the latest version downloaded and installed and it has all those cool tools for doing effects and transitions! I had no idea it had gotten so advanced. I'm having fun learning how to make special effects now.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Alex

Post by Alex »

haha, I have Pinnacle. one of those high tech Movie making things...
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by TDFwaterrockets »

hi chriswaterrockets

nice rocket! it went very high. how many litres is juno III?

thanks

TDFwaterrockets

http://tdfwaterrockets.blogspot.com/
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ok, here are some numbers.

empty weight: 620 gramms
payload section: 195 g
parachute module: 65 g
altimeter module: 65 g
nosecone: 65 g
(what a coincidence!)
Capacity: 7.08 liters

and that's where I got my Timer from. I think I've got it from the one on the right.
DSC05832.JPG