WRA2 Class A rules Q & A

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

WRA2 Class A rules Q & A

Post by WRA2 »

Ask questions about the class A rules here.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
HenningNT
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HenningNT »

[quote]6) Rocket must be completely scratch-built. No portions of the rocket can be manufactured parts. Raiding hobby shops for nosecones, or fins, or any other manufactured items is prohibited.[/quote]

What does "manufactured" mean? Do I have to build the pressure vessel from scratch?

[quote]Pressure vessel must be entirely fabricated by the rocket builder[/quote]

So I have to cast it, or something?
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

HenningNT wrote:
6) Rocket must be completely scratch-built. No portions of the rocket can be manufactured parts. Raiding hobby shops for nosecones, or fins, or any other manufactured items is prohibited.
What does "manufactured" mean? Do I have to build the pressure vessel from scratch?
Pressure vessel must be entirely fabricated by the rocket builder
So I have to cast it, or something?
What this means is that you cannot use items and assemblies specifically manufactured for either rocketry or to hold high pressure. Part of the challenge here is to take ordinary materials such as soft drink containers, plumbing parts, toys, and engineer a rocket and launcher out of them. No you do not have to cast parts out of raw material. An example of what would not be allowed would be to purchase a pyro rocket that had a camera payload and use the payload section, fins or nosecone on your water rocket. An example of what would be allowed would be to take a CD and cut your own fins from it. You cannot use a container originally manufactured to hold high pressure as your pressure vessel. A paintball tank could not be used as your pressure vessel as it was manufactured to hold high pressure. If you have a particular item in mind that you want to know if it is allowed or not, post it here for all to comment on. I’m sure the other teams will be helpful as well.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Drag_Racer408a »

Everything is made manufactured in some sort of way. It just means like don't go and buy everything pre built for rockets.
-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com
HenningNT
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HenningNT »

OK, so using an easter egg for nose cone io allowed then.

As Drag_Racer said, everything is manufactured. Maybe the rules should be clarified a bit?

The bottles we have in Norway is designed to hold 15 bar when new, and 9 bar when reused. Does this count as high pressure?
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think the rules should be clarified a bit. I think everyone here knows the spirit of the rule and the reasons for it are pretty clear, burt the way it is worded can my misinterpreted by anyone who wants to be sarcastic or confuse others. They could ask if we build our own altimeters because those are factory made just specially for rockets.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Drag_Racer408a »

okay guys, you are overthing the rule way too much. just basically don't go and but a ready made thing for a rocket. Eggs are okay and so are altimeters. Atimeters are made for rockets. Nobody can arguee that one. Just be for real.

Here is how you shoudl think of it:

If you see something that may be used on a rocket like a inovative thing like an easter egg then its okay. If you have to think twice about if it is legal or not then it probably isn't.

Just use common scence on that one.
-Team Parental Advisory

Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Drag_Racer408a wrote:okay guys, you are overthing the rule way too much. just basically don't go and but a ready made thing for a rocket. Eggs are okay and so are altimeters. Atimeters are made for rockets. Nobody can arguee that one. Just be for real.

If you see something that may be used on a rocket like a inovative thing like an easter egg then its okay. If you have to think twice about if it is legal or not then it probably isn't.

I don't think they are over-thinking it, I just theink they want to make the rules clearer so that we don't have outsiders making wiseass remarks about it all the time.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Drag_Racer408a »

Just don;t use a paint ball tank for a pressure vessel and stuff. Any PET bottle is okay. No metal! Just don't worry about it. If you think it isn't legal than it probably isn't!
-Team Parental Advisory

U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Tim Chen wrote:
Drag_Racer408a wrote:okay guys, you are overthing the rule way too much. just basically don't go and but a ready made thing for a rocket. Eggs are okay and so are altimeters. Atimeters are made for rockets. Nobody can arguee that one. Just be for real.

I don't think they are over-thinking it, I just theink they want to make the rules clearer so that we don't have outsiders making wiseass remarks about it all the time.
It wouldn't hurt to send David a PM and remind him to get it on his agenda to clarfiy it in the next revision. How about that?
Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Drag_Racer408a »

sounds like a great idea USWR!
-Team Parental Advisory

tsumrall
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by tsumrall »

Drag_Racer408a wrote:No metal!
I like this rule as I launch no metal and I mean none. Not a pin, clip and no electroincs that do anything except record (payload). Using electronics for deployment is cheating (for me).

Using metal nozzles or bulkheads is cheating (for me). It's too easy to break out the metal lathe and get a good o-ring seal. Of course the launcher does not have to play by these rules.

Also I think everything should be built from single components. If it came in 2 or more pieces and you use the pieces together as acquired that's cheating (for me). A good example is a Tomy timer. It's a cheat on several levels.

This is my opinion only. You do whatever you want. My rules are mine. I wrote them to make it hard for me not you.
WRA2 Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 Admin »

tsumrall wrote:
Drag_Racer408a wrote:No metal!
I like this rule as I launch no metal and I mean none. Not a pin, clip and no electroincs that do anything except record (payload). Using electronics for deployment is cheating (for me).

Using metal nozzles or bulkheads is cheating (for me). It's too easy to break out the metal lathe and get a good o-ring seal. Of course the launcher does not have to play by these rules.

Also I think everything should be built from single components. If it came in 2 or more pieces and you use the pieces together as acquired that's cheating (for me). A good example is a Tomy timer. It's a cheat on several levels.

This is my opinion only. You do whatever you want. My rules are mine. I wrote them to make it hard for me not you.
We allow altimeters and cameras to be purchased items. It would be too time consuming to ask the teams to build the camera and altimeter from single components. As a matter of fact we would prefer the use of a manufactured altimeter as they are factory calibrated.

We would allow a tomy timer as it's oriiginal purpose was not rocket related.

Metal used in construction of the pressure vessel could become dangerous shrapnel if the rocket explodes or it could short out power lines.
David Walker
Administrator
The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association
tsumrall
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by tsumrall »

We allow altimeters and cameras to be purchased items.
Payload is exempt. Deployment is not. Payload does nothing in regard to how the rocket performs (except weight). Safe recover is a vital function of the rocket were taking a picture is not. Vital functions must be scratch built just like the pressure vessel.
To me it's a cheat. Now, if I built a geared timer from non-metalic single component parts ... that would be sweet.
Metal used in construction of the pressure vessel could become dangerous shrapnel if the rocket explodes or it could short out power lines.
Is this the case with the current record? No aluminum nozzles?
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

tsumrall wrote:
We allow altimeters and cameras to be purchased items.
Payload is exempt. Deployment is not. Payload does nothing in regard to how the rocket performs (except weight). Safe recover is a vital function of the rocket were taking a picture is not. Vital functions must be scratch built just like the pressure vessel.
To me it's a cheat. Now, if I built a geared timer from non-metalic single component parts ... that would be sweet.
Is this the case with the current record? No aluminum nozzles?
There are non-metallic materials that are a lot stronger than aluminum... or steel for that matter. And we don't even own a lathe! There is no metal used in the construction of the pressure vessel used in the record flights.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison