Ask not...

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Ask not...

Post by dongfang »

... what water rocketry can do for you. Ask what you can do for water rocketry.

My achievement this weekend :)

Regards
Soren
Attachments
badamm.JPG
badamm.JPG (103.38 KiB) Viewed 316 times
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Ask not...

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Wow :D :D !! Well done... :mrgreen:
Did that rocket actually go through the tiles?
I still have a rocket sittin' on neighbour's roof too!!! Don't know if he even knows...
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

NICE :D
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Ooooh yeah it broke one tile and went through. There was a piece of 63 mm PVC pipe in front of the rocket, as weight (probably not even 100 grams). That must have been hard enough to smash the tile.

But as you can see, the roof is a bit aged. With holes in it too, now. Obviously a pre space age, non-rocketproof roof.

Regards
Soren
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Here are a few more pics of the flight. I can't wait to get the movie out of the onboard cam - as soon as I get the USB connector soldered back on, or get a card reader.

Now, does anyone have an idea for something else I can use for a weight in a rocket? In simulations, and in reality too as far as I can see, adding weight to a rocket improves (peak altitude) performance in some cases. There will simply be more kinetic energy to overcome wind resistance.

Ideally, one of course just adds weight by using a stronger pressure vessel. But I have only the PET bottles now, and I have to get away from flying hammers.

I want my weight:
- either soft (softer than a water tank, which can still pack quite a punch), or located behind a PET bottle crumble zone (maybe 1/3 down the rocket)
- nice and dense, not bulky
- if located around the sides of the pressure vessel, then it should not fragment in an explosion

Any ideas? Other than wrapping the rocket with 13 rolls of packing tape?

Regards
Soren
Attachments
Impact crater from below.
Impact crater from below.
badamm2.JPG (75.87 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Me with the rocket, for size comparison. I'm 184 cm. <br />The rocket splice configuration is:<br />&lt;CC]|SS|[CC&gt;|SS|[CC&gt;<br />(a CocaCola with top and bottom not cut off, spliced with a SSPrite, top and bottom cut off .. etc.<br />A 2 liter Coca-Cola fits *perfectly* into a 2 liter Sprite. The latter is a tiny bit larger.<br />I chose that configuration because it is easy to assemble, and it has bulkheads inside the rocket to dampen the air flows if the rocket should explode.<br />I have another |SS|[CC&gt; section ready for extending the rocket, if I should want to.
Me with the rocket, for size comparison. I'm 184 cm.
The rocket splice configuration is:
<CC]|SS|[CC>|SS|[CC>
(a CocaCola with top and bottom not cut off, spliced with a SSPrite, top and bottom cut off .. etc.
A 2 liter Coca-Cola fits *perfectly* into a 2 liter Sprite. The latter is a tiny bit larger.
I chose that configuration because it is easy to assemble, and it has bulkheads inside the rocket to dampen the air flows if the rocket should explode.
I have another |SS|[CC> section ready for extending the rocket, if I should want to.
badamm4.jpg (116.42 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Rocket on sky.<br />The air flap, the transparent PVC pipe, the parachute, the battery and USB  plug to supplement the weak built-in battery of the camera are all visible.
Rocket on sky.
The air flap, the transparent PVC pipe, the parachute, the battery and USB plug to supplement the weak built-in battery of the camera are all visible.
badamm3.JPG (83.74 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Another beautiful lift-off. Until you compare the axis of the vapor trail with that of the rocket. Is was simply thrusting in the wrong direction!<br />I guess I will have to secure those carburetor pipes of mine in both ends.
Another beautiful lift-off. Until you compare the axis of the vapor trail with that of the rocket. Is was simply thrusting in the wrong direction!
I guess I will have to secure those carburetor pipes of mine in both ends.
badamm5.JPG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 307 times
We have an anomaly ... parabolic flight, no chute deployment ... secure the area...
We have an anomaly ... parabolic flight, no chute deployment ... secure the area...
badamm6.JPG (40.83 KiB) Viewed 288 times
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Nice little adventure you had there. Looking forward to seeing the onboard video.

Congratulations on making the 4,000th post. 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Alex

Post by Alex »

hahaha...
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
air.command

Post by air.command »

dongfang wrote:Here are a few more pics of the flight. I can't wait to get the movie out of the onboard cam - as soon as I get the USB connector soldered back on, or get a card reader.

Now, does anyone have an idea for something else I can use for a weight in a rocket? In simulations, and in reality too as far as I can see, adding weight to a rocket improves (peak altitude) performance in some cases. There will simply be more kinetic energy to overcome wind resistance.

Ideally, one of course just adds weight by using a stronger pressure vessel. But I have only the PET bottles now, and I have to get away from flying hammers.

I want my weight:
- either soft (softer than a water tank, which can still pack quite a punch), or located behind a PET bottle crumble zone (maybe 1/3 down the rocket)
- nice and dense, not bulky
- if located around the sides of the pressure vessel, then it should not fragment in an explosion

Any ideas? Other than wrapping the rocket with 13 rolls of packing tape?

Regards
Soren
Hi Soren,

Sorry to hear about the roof, but the rocket looks great. Something you may want to try as a weight is a zip-lock plastic bag with water in it. You can easily change the amount of water in it depending on your needs. It will easily conform to the space you have available, whether in a crumple zone, or in between bottles. If the rocket goes boom, you only need to worry about water spray and a torn plastic bag.
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

DARN, I can't find the movie on the SD card of the camera.

I will have to fly that monster again .....

(It actually flew pretty well, and came quite high for the lousy 6 bar of pressure I had in it. Next time, it will set a personal altitude record, I think).

Regards
Soren
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Soren:

Is there any reason you don't like modelling clay? (plasticine) Seems to tick all your boxes...
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

I don't know what it is :)

But if it some plastic (the adjective, not the noun) stuff, how would you attach it to the rocket? Roll it into strips and tape them on?

Is it natural clay, or full of solvents?

Regards
Soren
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

dongfang wrote:Hi,

I don't know what it is :)

But if it some plastic (the adjective, not the noun) stuff, how would you attach it to the rocket? Roll it into strips and tape them on?

Is it natural clay, or full of solvents?
It is the brand name of a type of non-setting artificial modelling clay common in the UK/Commonwealth, I don't know if you'll recognise the description here <http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A2te_%C3%A0_modeler>
or English: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticine>

Maybe that will remind you of a similar local brand. Very useful stuff.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Alex

Post by Alex »

dongfang wrote:DARN, I can't find the movie on the SD card of the camera.

I will have to fly that monster again .....

(It actually flew pretty well, and came quite high for the lousy 6 bar of pressure I had in it. Next time, it will set a personal altitude record, I think).

Regards
Soren
Sounds like a plan :)
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

That's the most awesome water rocket crash I ever have seen!

Sorry about the rocket and roof.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

THat's one of the best rocket pictures (sticking in the roof). That's the problem with launching, finding a safe place to do it. I used to launch in my driveway until one of my rockets almost crashed into the neighbor's Lexus. Now I need to find an open field close by ...