Strig pull relise

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Strig pull relise

Post by Brian »

whats a good string pull relise mechanisim for a launcher.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Alex

Re: Strig pull relise

Post by Alex »

2 things to day

1. The Dictionary is your friend
2. Any good String that won't break after getting wet I guess. Maybe a thick rope. But not crazy thick. But you know, I don't think it really matters. as long as it's strong
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Today?? hehe
Alex

Post by Alex »

Graveyard wrote:Today?? hehe
Elaborate
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Brian wrote:whats a good string pull relise mechanisim for a launcher.
Depends on your launcher. Launch tube and cable tie, or Gardenia nozzles? Or something else? I use a cable tie with a short tube slipped over the ties. A plastic 'spring' sits under the tube to stop it dropping until you are ready, and the tube has a string attached that runs down the launcher and thru a cutoff bottle neck at the bottom. Pull the string, the tube is pulled down against the resistance of the spring and the ties release the rocket.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Aquafire
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aquafire »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
Brian wrote:whats a good string pull relise mechanisim for a launcher.
Depends on your launcher. Launch tube and cable tie, or Gardenia nozzles? Or something else? I use a cable tie with a short tube slipped over the ties. A plastic 'spring' sits under the tube to stop it dropping until you are ready, and the tube has a string attached that runs down the launcher and thru a cutoff bottle neck at the bottom. Pull the string, the tube is pulled down against the resistance of the spring and the ties release the rocket.
I use a similar setup but I connect a lever to the bottom of the launcher and the cable tie ring. I made it with the lever just for convenience and then when I got scared that my rockets would burst I connected a rope to the lever for getting farther away from the rocket. After the rope was added I realized that the lever pulling the ring down was a neat idea because the leverage the lever gives makes it easier to pull the collar down and it doesn't need a big strong rope just a string to set it off.
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Aquafire wrote:I use a similar setup but I connect a lever to the bottom of the launcher and the cable tie ring. I made it with the lever just for convenience and then when I got scared that my rockets would burst I connected a rope to the lever for getting farther away from the rocket. After the rope was added I realized that the lever pulling the ring down was a neat idea because the leverage the lever gives makes it easier to pull the collar down and it doesn't need a big strong rope just a string to set it off.
That's a good idea. I hammer my launcher's support stake into the ground but I'm often worried that I'll pull so hard on the release cord that I'll tip the launcher off vertical. The extra leverage you get must make that less likely.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Just messing with ya Dude!! :D
When I see someone correct another person using incorrect spelling, it's just kinda funny.
Today is one word, not two.
I was probably in a mood that day.
Later 8)
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Did any of you with the string pull releases ever shift / tilt the rig, losing control of the direction?

I use a bicycle brake handle, with a wire inside a sleeve. There's no force on the launcher. The bicycle dealer has the sleeve on a long roll, so length is no problem there. But his wires are only a couple of meter max. Maybe somewhere you can get a longer steel wire.

One could also make a release mechanism that is default-open (using springs). A stick, pulled away with the string, keeps it closed. That will trigger with very little force.

Regards
Soren
Alex

Post by Alex »

Graveyard wrote:Just messing with ya Dude!! :D
When I see someone correct another person using incorrect spelling, it's just kinda funny.
Today is one word, not two.
I was probably in a mood that day.
Later 8)
d'oh....I meant to say ''to say'' :oops: :lol:
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

It was still funny!!! :D
Have a nice Christmas everyone!
Later 8)
Bibbleycheese
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bibbleycheese »

I had so much trouble with my launch string pulling my launcher over that I decided on a trigger mechanism that needs only a very light pull to operate.
So I use a strong spring to pull down a lever that pulls down the Gardena release - and the lever is chocked by a little trigger block which easily pulls out with a light tug.
Here is the end of the lever with the spring fixed, locked in place with the trigger block which is fixed to the frame by a hinge.
spring lock.jpg
spring lock.jpg (40.16 KiB) Viewed 80 times
And this one shows the whole arrangement. The string goes behind and exits left. Give it a little tug and the trigger block shifts out, the lever snaps down and pulls the Gardena release at the top.
spring lock2.jpg
spring lock2.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 80 times
The force needed to spring the release is very low - and I reckon I could use my RC system to activate the launch someday.
- Andy
Little Squirts Water Rockets