Juno II & III

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Alex

Re: Juno II & III

Post by Alex »

I think that brown thing is Judging me :(
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by TDFwaterrockets »

hi Chriswaterrockets

Can you post some details of Juno II because it looks huge! How many litres is it?

regards

TDFwaterrockets
http://tdfwaterrockets.blogspot.com/
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

TDFwaterrockets wrote:hi Chriswaterrockets

Can you post some details of Juno II because it looks huge! How many litres is it?

regards

TDFwaterrockets
I don't know the exact numbers, because Juno II doesn't exist anymore...

length: ~2.3m
capacity: ~9.5 liters
weight: ~700 gramms

I used 1.5 liter bottles, 8 of 'em.
For a ten liter rocket, it's better to use 5 2 liter bottles. because the rocket won't be so long.
It was just too big to handle.
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

hi Chris

Are you ever going to build a 10litre with five 2litre bottles? or would it be too big?
If you were to build a 10 litre out of five 2 litre bottles, it would probably be lighter than using eight or nine 1.5litre bottles because there would be less couplings and spliced pairs!

I have just built an 8 litre and it only weighs 540grams so if it works, then I might build a 10 litre!!! but it depends on how long it will take to pump up (I get tired when pumping up big rockets in a small amount of time), how long did Juno II take to pump up because in your video it looks like you have the same pump as me!

Regards

TDFwaterrockets
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

TDFwaterrockets wrote:hi Chris

Are you ever going to build a 10litre with five 2litre bottles? or would it be too big?
If you were to build a 10 litre out of five 2 litre bottles, it would probably be lighter than using eight or nine 1.5litre bottles because there would be less couplings and spliced pairs!

I have just built an 8 litre and it only weighs 540grams so if it works, then I might build a 10 litre!!! but it depends on how long it will take to pump up (I get tired when pumping up big rockets in a small amount of time), how long did Juno II take to pump up because in your video it looks like you have the same pump as me!

Regards

TDFwaterrockets
You have to start thinking when your rocket becomes so large about how you are going to transport the thing. A rocket of this size probably won't fit inside a compact car. Just keep this in mind before you build it if you are going to be driving to your launch site.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Alex

Post by Alex »

If your gonna have a massive rocket, might as well make it a 2 stage eh? just so it's easier to transport
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

HI U.S. Water Rockets1

I would consider that problem but I live near to a huge 22acre field and Its just outside my front door! But if I had to travel to a field then I would probably disconnect the couplings (only the couplings that connect the bottle necks together) so it could fit in a car.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

TDFwaterrockets wrote:HI U.S. Water Rockets1

I would consider that problem but I live near to a huge 22acre field and Its just outside my front door! But if I had to travel to a field then I would probably disconnect the couplings (only the couplings that connect the bottle necks together) so it could fit in a car.
You could make a "modular" water rocket like that, can't you? You could connect them together in different configurations and customize the rocket for each flight. I would think you could make the modules "common" so that they could be swapped around if on got damaged. You could build like 10 copies of the same module and when one breaks you just switch that one part out.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
CSAldridge
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by CSAldridge »

chriswaterrockets wrote:Ok, here are some numbers.

empty weight: 620 gramms
payload section: 195 g
parachute module: 65 g
altimeter module: 65 g
nosecone: 65 g
(what a coincidence!)
Capacity: 7.08 liters

and that's where I got my Timer from. I think I've got it from the one on the right.
DSC05832.JPG

Toy Killer... you should be ashamed. 8P
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

CSAldridge wrote:
chriswaterrockets wrote:Ok, here are some numbers.

empty weight: 620 gramms
payload section: 195 g
parachute module: 65 g
altimeter module: 65 g
nosecone: 65 g
(what a coincidence!)
Capacity: 7.08 liters

and that's where I got my Timer from. I think I've got it from the one on the right.
DSC05832.JPG

Toy Killer... you should be ashamed. 8P
very funny...