How much does your 2 liter bottle weigh?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

How much does your 2 liter bottle weigh?

Post by reno1 »

How much does your 2 liter bottle weigh? I weighed some of mine and they weigh 46 to 48 grams and hold 9 to 10 bar max before exploding. This might help with why our bottles hold different pressures. If others could do the same it would be interesting to see the results.
Attachments
2 liter.JPG
2 liter.JPG (154.38 KiB) Viewed 182 times
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: How much does your 2 liter bottle weigh?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

reno1 wrote:How much does your 2 liter bottle weigh? I weighed some of mine and they weigh 46 to 48 grams and hold 9 to 10 bar max before exploding. This might help with why our bottles hold different pressures. If others could do the same it would be interesting to see the results.
I know this is off topic, but I saw some Mountain Dew bottles the other day with a new logo on them. It said MTN DEW. I see Pepsi recently changed their circle doohickey thing too.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

These are all UK bottles, a random mixture, in no particular order...

Pepsi - 2L: 42g

Sprite, Coke, Coke (Zero), Co-Op Lemonade, Happy Shopper Lemonade - 2L: 44g

Coke, Diet Coke - 1.25L: 42g

Silver Spring Soda Water - 1L: 28g

ASDA Soda Water - 1L: 36g

House of Commons Sparkling Mineral Water - 500ml: 34g

It occurs to me that knowing the dimensions of the bottles would help to determine the surface area and hence a relative bottle wall thickness (proportional to the max. pressure?)

So I'll see if I can find time to put up some more measurements later.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
reno1 wrote:How much does your 2 liter bottle weigh? I weighed some of mine and they weigh 46 to 48 grams and hold 9 to 10 bar max before exploding. This might help with why our bottles hold different pressures. If others could do the same it would be interesting to see the results.
I know this is off topic, but I saw some Mountain Dew bottles the other day with a new logo on them. It said MTN DEW. I see Pepsi recently changed their circle doohickey thing too.
Yes. The changed their name to Mtn Dew.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Swiss 2L Sprite: 46.9g
Swiss 2L Coca-Cola: 46.8g

Both are good to about 10 bar (when not spliced).

Regards
Soren
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

I can weigh some bottles but I want to know what we are measuring. Do I have to take the sticker off the bottle and the cap too? What about the ring around the neck that remains from the cap when it is removed?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Tim Chen wrote:I can weigh some bottles but I want to know what we are measuring. Do I have to take the sticker off the bottle and the cap too? What about the ring around the neck that remains from the cap when it is removed?
Hi Tim, I weighed all my bottles bare, just the bottle itself. Also removed all glue. Thanks in advance for your input and good luck with school.
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Tim Chen wrote:I can weigh some bottles but I want to know what we are measuring. Do I have to take the sticker off the bottle and the cap too? What about the ring around the neck that remains from the cap when it is removed?
Well I left the labels and rings on. However, I just weighed ten neck rings together: they came in at 4g (or 1/8 oz) the lot, at the resolution of my kitchen scales. Call it 0.5g apiece, so about 1% of the bottle weight. I'm pretty sure the labels weighed even less.

To be honest, at my level of sophistication there are much bigger sources of error than that. I usually assume I've got a minimum of 5% wrong either way on any measurement.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
anachronist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by anachronist »

2 liter PET bottles have reduced in weight over the years. From http://www.petresin.org/news_didyouknow.asp --
"A 2-liter PET bottle that weighed 68 grams in 1980 now weighs as little as 42 grams."

2L bottles also used to have a ridge around their middle, like this one: http://www.aircommandrockets.com/labs/p ... 00_001.htm
You can't find these anymore in the United States. In Asia or Europe you can still find some.

The ridge was great for preventing the bottle from buckling in flight. The new 2-liter bottles are nearly useless for water rocketry now. The walls are so thin and flexible that the vacuum formed inside the bottle when the pressure is exhausted at high speed causes the rocket body to buckle.

-Alex