Your launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Your launcher

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

That's a fine looking launcher, some nice idea there. Thanks for sharing it, and welcome to the forum!
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Hi Freqster! :W

That's a very ingenious launcher design you have constructed. The extruded aluminum T-Tracks you've used for adjustments is a great idea. You could fit any size water rocket on the launcher using that system. Great work. Thanks for posting your design, and welcome to the forum!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Aquafire
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aquafire »

Where do you get aluminum C channel to make those rails from? Is it expensive? Thanks. And welcome!
Andrewlee
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Andrewlee »

I'll try getting some pictures of mine up later in the next couple of days. It's no where near as complex as these others I see. Mine is simple, and cheap; made almost all out of PVC. It uses cable ties as the locking mechanism. Although I will admit, that again, I was not the first to do this. I believe it was the Bible that states "There is nothing new under the Sun". Guess I need to start looking over it.

-The Incredible Rocket man
-Andrew Lee
"Speak softly, but carry a big stick"
-Andrew Lee

http://thruststormrockets.blogspot.com/
Andrewlee
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Andrewlee »

Here are some of my launcher pictures. This is CT-2. CT-1 Bit the dust when my grandpa ran over it with a tractor...oops
I am not completely finished with this one yet. i still need to put in the changeable launch tube, for varied heights rockets. And I still haven't settled on a base design. I'm wanting it to be as collapsible as possible.
Attachments
How high I've gotten it so far, the cable ties seem to let go at 125psi. I'll be looking into better ties for CT-3
How high I've gotten it so far, the cable ties seem to let go at 125psi. I'll be looking into better ties for CT-3
Water Rocket Stuff 004.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 146 times
The whole launcher
The whole launcher
Water Rocket Stuff 007.JPG (533.44 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Bottle Locked
Bottle Locked
Water Rocket Stuff 015.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 149 times
One with the bottle on
One with the bottle on
Water Rocket Stuff 014.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 142 times
The lock itself
The lock itself
Water Rocket Stuff 013.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 135 times
Showing the Cable locking mechanism
Showing the Cable locking mechanism
Water Rocket Stuff 012.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 133 times
"Speak softly, but carry a big stick"
-Andrew Lee

http://thruststormrockets.blogspot.com/
team-helder
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by team-helder »

amiazing
water rockets are fun what i mean with fun wen u put some foam in it and let ur dad leanch it right next to it !
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

Hi, you can check my launcher out at http://www.geocities.com/af_wr/. The website is crap, and I never even finished it, but the launcher is cool. I now have a slightly adapted design that uses a copper pipe inside the pvc pipe and uses metal fittings but it's pretty much the same. When it was still all pvc the T piece decided to blow up on me once at only 140 psi. That stuff really does shatter.

Alex
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

SaskAlex wrote:Hi, you can check my launcher out at http://www.geocities.com/af_wr/. The website is crap, and I never even finished it, but the launcher is cool. I now have a slightly adapted design that uses a copper pipe inside the pvc pipe and uses metal fittings but it's pretty much the same. When it was still all pvc the T piece decided to blow up on me once at only 140 psi. That stuff really does shatter.

Alex
Be careful with the copper pipe. The pipe itself is very strong and can hold a lot of pressure, but the new solder with no lead in it that is used to connect the copper pipes is quite brittle and can fail at much lower pressure than the pipe fails. This creates a copper pipe water rocket missile!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

Thanks for the heads up USWR. I can only get about 200 psi out of my bike pump right now, do you think I should worry at these pressures? Actually, since my launcher is designed to release when pressure is relieved, if my soldered joint was to fail, the launcher would only go up with the rocket a short ways and then be shot right back down to earth. That's not to say my rocket would go too straight though.

Alex