Anyone else from ireland!!

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
pink13penguin
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Anyone else from ireland!!

Post by pink13penguin »

Hey, well I'm Cian or pink13penguin.
I'm from Balbriggan in Dublin, Ireland!! Wter rocketery isn't the most popular hobby here in Dublin!! I'm actually just 16 but became interested when I entered the B.T. Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition in 2008 with a project entitled To find the optimum structure and contents of an unmodified water rocket to achieve its highest apogee!! I became amazed at the whole maths and physics :shock: that I began applying to each launch, and in the end I was presented first in the chemical, physics and maths category. I was presented with the overall junior northern ireland young scientist and the Institute of Physics in Ireland award. After that, I continue to apply my maths and physics to launch results to imply the best launch!!

Well anyone else from ireland?
"If space is truly infinite, then there is infinite possibility - Tom DeLonge".
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone else from ireland!!

Post by WRA2 »

pink13penguin wrote:Hey, well I'm Cian or pink13penguin.
I'm from Balbriggan in Dublin, Ireland!! Wter rocketery isn't the most popular hobby here in Dublin!! I'm actually just 16 but became interested when I entered the B.T. Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition in 2008 with a project entitled To find the optimum structure and contents of an unmodified water rocket to achieve its highest apogee!! I became amazed at the whole maths and physics :shock: that I began applying to each launch, and in the end I was presented first in the chemical, physics and maths category. I was presented with the overall junior northern ireland young scientist and the Institute of Physics in Ireland award. After that, I continue to apply my maths and physics to launch results to imply the best launch!!

Welcome to the forum. :W

We have members from all over the world here. The purpose of this forum is to unite everyone from all over the world in the sport of water rocketry. Feel free to ask questions. We have members from all skill levels here.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

WRA2 wrote:
pink13penguin wrote: and in the end I was presented first in the chemical, physics and maths category. I was presented with the overall junior northern ireland young scientist and the Institute of Physics in Ireland award. After that, I continue to apply my maths and physics to launch results to imply the best launch!!
Feel free to ask questions. We have members from all skill levels here.
Hm, I think perhaps we should be asking the questions, not Cian. Congratulations on your achievements, welcome to this forum, we're very proud to have you here!
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
WRA2 wrote:
pink13penguin wrote: and in the end I was presented first in the chemical, physics and maths category. I was presented with the overall junior northern ireland young scientist and the Institute of Physics in Ireland award. After that, I continue to apply my maths and physics to launch results to imply the best launch!!
Feel free to ask questions. We have members from all skill levels here.
Hm, I think perhaps we should be asking the questions, not Cian. Congratulations on your achievements, welcome to this forum, we're very proud to have you here!
Steve,

You're right! Cian has quite a long list of achievements under his belt! It's great to hear that water rockets are attracting such high caliber people from all over the world!

Cian,

Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum! Great to have you join us here! We look forward to interacting with you!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Cian,

Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum! Great to have you join us here! We look forward to interacting with you!

Isn't Galway in Ireland???
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
pink13penguin
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by pink13penguin »

Galway sure is in Ireland - the beautiful west coast! :D
pink13penguin
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by pink13penguin »

Sorry, That's Galway in New york!!!!! :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!

There's a Galway in the west of Ireland aswell!!!!!!!!!!11

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:
The Mooseheads
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Mooseheads »

pink13penguin wrote:Hey, well I'm Cian or pink13penguin.

Welcome Cian! I want to ask you how you got your nickname? Are you a Linux Guru or something?
Rick C.
The Mooseheads
pink13penguin
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by pink13penguin »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux guru - no sorry. I was always the pink penguin!! I always wamted to see a pink one! :D :D When I first subcribed for something Pink Penguin was taking so I threw a number between and pink13penguin has always stuck since then.
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

pink13penguin wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux guru - no sorry. I was always the pink penguin!! I always wamted to see a pink one! :D :D When I first subcribed for something Pink Penguin was taking so I threw a number between and pink13penguin has always stuck since then.
Do you have those really thick bottles in Ireland, Cian? They hold more pressure. What is a typical burst pressure of a bottle you typically use?
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
pink13penguin
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by pink13penguin »

No our standard bottle is just a regurlar continental bottle as far as I'm aware from. I pressure tested one to 130 PSI (9.14017 kg/cm). I wouldn't dare to go over 130.
However, we do have these 750ml bottles which the plastic is about 2 mm or there abouts thick.

If that helps?
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pink13penguin wrote:No our standard bottle is just a regurlar continental bottle as far as I'm aware from. I pressure tested one to 130 PSI (9.14017 kg/cm). I wouldn't dare to go over 130.
However, we do have these 750ml bottles which the plastic is about 2 mm or there abouts thick.

If that helps?
Hi Cian,

What is the purpose of the 750ml bottles? In the States we have some bottles I found that are thicker than the regular soda bottles. The thick ones are used for beer. They hold more pressure but the drawback of them is they have "decorative" shapes and patterns molded in which make them hard to use for anything and I think the patterns make them weak at those points. I believe beer bottles in general have more pressure inside so the thickness makes sense for this purpose.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
pink13penguin
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by pink13penguin »

The 750 ml bottles are used to contain a soda drink (pepsi). They don't have much decoration on them as far as I know.

Later on I will post a picture to clarify this.

Cian
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pink13penguin wrote:The 750 ml bottles are used to contain a soda drink (pepsi). They don't have much decoration on them as far as I know.

Later on I will post a picture to clarify this.

Cian
Cool! Do you have any idea why the Pepsi bottles would be extra thick?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Blogser321

Post by Blogser321 »

Hi Cian,

Your not the only one from Ireland, Ilive over in good old Donegal, and have just been co-opted across from the Yahoo water rocket board, and the IWRA.
Thanks for the email David.

As for the bottles over here, You can get the 75cl bottles that are used by Schwepps for tonic water etc. They are blown from the same pre-form as a standerd 1 ltr bottle, but becuase they are on 75cl the wall thickenss is much greater, around 1.2mm. These are good and safe for repeated 120psi launches and lawn dart landings. I have flown some of them more times than I can remember, and there still going strong after 3 years :)

Try to get the older bottles, the ones with the dimples on the neck, the new ones are realy thin walled, cutbacks you know, less PET to pay for.

If you only have thin walled bottles do the trick of shrinking one bottle over the outside of another. In one statick test on a 2ltr bottle I took it upto 380 psi, and still couldn't get it to fail, great for CO2 lauches.

Any way, all the best

Richard
Clear Skies, and stright flights.