Greeting from Lancaster County PA

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
blam72

Greeting from Lancaster County PA

Post by blam72 »

My name is Brian. I started with water rockets last month. I honestly don't remember where the idea came from, but I thought it would be a fun activity to do with my kids. So far I built a simple launcher and have launched several 2 liter soda bottles at about 80psi. I estimate approx 50-75 feet flight. Everytime I go out to launch I end up with about 15 neighborhood kids there to watch. Its been alot of fun. My next step is adding fins and I'd love to mess around with a 2 stage rocket.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greeting from Lancaster County PA

Post by WRA2 »

blam72 wrote:My name is Brian. I started with water rockets last month. I honestly don't remember where the idea came from, but I thought it would be a fun activity to do with my kids. So far I built a simple launcher and have launched several 2 liter soda bottles at about 80psi. I estimate approx 50-75 feet flight. Everytime I go out to launch I end up with about 15 neighborhood kids there to watch. Its been alot of fun. My next step is adding fins and I'd love to mess around with a 2 stage rocket.
Welcome to the forum Brian :W

If you have any specific questions just ask and our members will be glad to help you.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

:W to the forum 8)
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

blam72 wrote:My name is Brian. I started with water rockets last month. I honestly don't remember where the idea came from, but I thought it would be a fun activity to do with my kids. So far I built a simple launcher and have launched several 2 liter soda bottles at about 80psi. I estimate approx 50-75 feet flight. Everytime I go out to launch I end up with about 15 neighborhood kids there to watch. Its been alot of fun. My next step is adding fins and I'd love to mess around with a 2 stage rocket.
Welcome Brian! Nice to have you here. There's so many helpful people of all ages in our little community and all different skill levels too. I've learned so much from hanging out here and you will too.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
uncle don

Post by uncle don »

Brian, welcome.

If you hot glue two parer towel tubes to your two liter bottles 180 degrees apart you will have a relitively easy time getting a stable flight and more altitude.

It's best if you don't get the tubes wet when adding water to your rocket. Cardboard tubes generaly don't get very wet
on a single flight unless you nozel has a wide pattern.

After you get some more expirence with your water rockets you can try kanting you stablizers to make your rockets spiral in flight.

One more note of caution add a recovery device to your water rockets to prevent them from lawn darting into the ground and becomming damaged. Hot glued parts tend to seperate during a hard landing.

One more note of encouragement you can do almost anything with a water rocket that you could with a class "C" model rocket. And no restrictions on propellent weight or gross launch weight.

Don Higbee
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

uncle don wrote:Brian, welcome.

If you hot glue two parer towel tubes to your two liter bottles 180 degrees apart you will have a relitively easy time getting a stable flight and more altitude.

It's best if you don't get the tubes wet when adding water to your rocket. Cardboard tubes generaly don't get very wet
on a single flight unless you nozel has a wide pattern.

After you get some more expirence with your water rockets you can try kanting you stablizers to make your rockets spiral in flight.

One more note of caution add a recovery device to your water rockets to prevent them from lawn darting into the ground and becomming damaged. Hot glued parts tend to seperate during a hard landing.

One more note of encouragement you can do almost anything with a water rocket that you could with a class "C" model rocket. And no restrictions on propellent weight or gross launch weight.

Don Higbee

Hi Don,
I find that you can buy a spray can full of clear stuff at the hobby store called "preserve it" and paint paper and cardboard water rocket parts and it will prevent them from getting wet unless you really soak thwem down with water. I made nosecones from papier-mache and coat them good with spray and they do not come apart. They can be very lightweight when made like that. I cut a bottle in half and put a balloon inside then cover it with papier-mache and when it dries the nose comes off easily from the rocket.