hello from ireland!

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

hello from ireland!

Post by Jelo »

hey everyone im brand new on this forum, call me Anto or Jelo if you want :mrgreen: i live in meath, ireland and make water rockets(dont we all...?) because real rockets aren't allowed in ireland :( if anyone wants to ask me questions feel free!
Anto
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: hello from ireland!

Post by Brian »

hello Anto. :W water rockets are real rockets too and there more fun! what are your rockets like?
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

yep tecnicaly they are bu you know what i meant :wink: i make one-bottle gardena nozzle rockets and currently working on a recovery system using a tomy timer as they are simple and reliable :mrgreen: if anyone could give me tips be more than welcome!! i dont make bigger rockets as i dont have enough space to lauch them...
Anto
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you could post pictures or diagrams of your Tomy Timer system, and tell us how it works.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

k pretty simple a inside out strip of bottle covers the parachute, which is at the side of the bottle, as it is inside out it will wants to spring off, but like most tomy timer systems, a elastic bank attachet to the timer will hold it...when the timer runs out, the elastic will be loose, so will the parachute cover, and it will spring out of place!! simpler just to watch :mrgreen: ---> [youtube][/youtube]

now if anyone knows where i could get a tomy timer in ireand... :roll:
anto
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
rockets-in-brighton

Jelo wrote:k pretty simple a inside out strip of bottle covers the parachute, which is at the side of the bottle, as it is inside out it will wants to spring off, but like most tomy timer systems, a elastic bank attachet to the timer will hold it...when the timer runs out, the elastic will be loose, so will the parachute cover, and it will spring out of place!! simpler just to watch :mrgreen: ---> [youtube][/youtube]

now if anyone knows where i could get a tomy timer in ireand... :roll:
anto
That's Todd's system. He posts here, so if you have specific questions go ahead and ask.

Oh wait, no timer? That's going to slow you down a bit :D Look for little novelty wind-up toys and rip the mechanism out.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

todd? did he invent it r is he jst usin that system? yup i got a tomy timer yesterday off a mc donalds toy bu shhh dnt tel my smal brother :mrgreen:
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
castle-bravo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by castle-bravo »

welcome to the forum :W
rockets-in-brighton

Jelo wrote:todd? did he invent it r is he jst usin that system? yup i got a tomy timer yesterday off a mc donalds toy bu shhh dnt tel my smal brother :mrgreen:
Variations on Tomy Timer deployment systems have been knocking around for years now, they differ only in the specific methods of rigging and triggering. Good luck!
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Welcome to the forum from Galway!

(The one in New York)
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

thanks all of you! i made my first deployment system today and over 4 flights, the parachute never actualy opened fully, the first flight the parachute got ejected but opened just as the rocket smashed against the ground, the second flight's depolment system didnt open in time due to timer mal function, the 3rd flight was pretty much the same and the last blast didnt open at all... all of these flights were with small bottles, not even a liter, i made a bigger 2 liter bottle and attached the same depoy system on it. the rocket had one liter water in it and the rest was air compressed to 70 psi. the flight went quite well if it wasnt for the fact the rocket was too heavy and went speeding into a tree horisontaly after a 50 meter flight. the smash was very spectacular, standing 60 meters away, i heard a loud bag as if a balloon exploded, from the video footage, i could see it went flying into the canopy but i never saw it over there...ill continue my search tomoro... if anyone could tell me what i could do to make a big rocket fly verticaly, it would be of great help as so far, all my 2 liter botles ended up somewere it was not intended to be, the most impresif one was found two houses away from mine, aprox 70 meters....
jelo
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

here are some pictures i put up, enjoy!
Attachments
DSC02714.JPG
DSC02714.JPG (89.11 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

here are some pictures i put up, enjoy!
Attachments
and i couldnt help put the picture of a car i saw in paris...bugatti veyron, 2 tones, 350km/h, fastest car ever commertialised, able to tow 2 50 seater buses :) french car
and i couldnt help put the picture of a car i saw in paris...bugatti veyron, 2 tones, 350km/h, fastest car ever commertialised, able to tow 2 50 seater buses :) french car
DSC02705.JPG (66.79 KiB) Viewed 31 times
close up, white bit inside is the parachute, white flap stiking out is the timer activation system. tomy timer taken from mc donalds toy and modified to take ratchet and pawl mechanism out.
close up, white bit inside is the parachute, white flap stiking out is the timer activation system. tomy timer taken from mc donalds toy and modified to take ratchet and pawl mechanism out.
DSC02722.JPG (58.93 KiB) Viewed 31 times
and now with the deployment system on top
and now with the deployment system on top
DSC02721.JPG (63.05 KiB) Viewed 31 times
DSC02715.JPG
DSC02715.JPG (85.52 KiB) Viewed 31 times
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

i found my rocket up the tree....and its still up there :? its aprox 7 meters off the ground...
what happened:
1-rocket filled halfways with water (i was experimenting with different amounts of water)

2-rocket compressed to 5 bars

3-rocket release

4-rocket flies up no apparent problem

5- 10 meters off the ground and it suddenly tilts horisontaly (my avatar picture is the rocket durring its turn)

6- flies ~50 meters horisontaly

7-parachute deploys too early

8-just after deployment, rocket hits tree

9- depoyment module is ripped off the rocket when it hits the tree

10-deployment module hangs up the tree

11- rocket in ballance on a branch

12- i go look for it

13- my neighboor was blackberry picking a few meters away

14- i talk to her

15- she goes away, i go home

16- rocket sleeps all night

17-rocket waits egerly till i get back form school

18-rocket sees me and i see it

19- its 10 meters off the ground so i just leave it there

20- i make new nozzle and rocket

21-i lauch it and find it in my neighboors garden :mrgreen:

great little story isnt it?
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

quick question, anyone from ireland here??
Anto'

always wear a raincoat