Hello from South Carolina, USA

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hello from South Carolina, USA

Post by millermw2 »

I just got into water rockets about a month ago. Having fun with the kids launching the rocket. We are currently working on a new gardena style launcher. The biggest problem we are experiencing is getting the nozzle to seal.
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Hello from South Carolina, USA

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

millermw2 wrote:I just got into water rockets about a month ago. Having fun with the kids launching the rocket. We are currently working on a new gardena style launcher. The biggest problem we are experiencing is getting the nozzle to seal.
Welcome to the forum!

Is the problem with the seal of the bottle cap on the spount of the bottle, or sealing the nozzle in the female connector of your launcher?

If it's the former, PTFE tape can help.

If it's the latter, you could try the longer caps recycled from liquid soap dispensers that air.command recently made a tutorial video about - see the YouTube channel for details.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by millermw2 »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
millermw2 wrote:I just got into water rockets about a month ago. Having fun with the kids launching the rocket. We are currently working on a new gardena style launcher. The biggest problem we are experiencing is getting the nozzle to seal.
Welcome to the forum!

Is the problem with the seal of the bottle cap on the spount of the bottle, or sealing the nozzle in the female connector of your launcher?

If it's the latter, you could try the longer caps recycled from liquid soap dispensers that air.command recently made a tutorial video about - see the YouTube channel for details.

Thanks,

It is the former that I'm having problems with. I think the nozzle is still to thick to allow the threads to have a good seal. I have tried a longer cap as Air Command suggested but water still leaks around the threads. I will keep working on it to solve the problem.

Mike
rockets-in-brighton

millermw2 wrote:
rockets-in-brighton wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks,

It is the former that I'm having problems with. I think the nozzle is still to thick to allow the threads to have a good seal. I have tried a longer cap as Air Command suggested but water still leaks around the threads. I will keep working on it to solve the problem.

Mike

Definitely try PTFE tape then, I use it everywhere I have any sort of connector in my system and it makes a huge difference to the quality of the seal.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
air.command

Post by air.command »

millermw2 wrote: Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike, it sounds like a washer issue. Are you using the washer that came with the garden tap fitting? It may be that your particular one is too small and deforms when you tighten it breaking the seal. You should try a different washer, or make one. I believe Todd has had good experience with cutting out washers from bicycle inner tubes. Make sure the surfaces doing the sealing are smooth and free of any dirt or shavings. Also try a little silicone grease on the washer to let the bottle neck slide along the washer as you tighten it rather than bunching up.

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by millermw2 »

Thanks guys,

I will try the methods that you suggested.

Mike
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Welcome!

Here's a suggestion: Go to the garden hose section of Home Depot and look in the asile near the gardena connectors. There should be a bin or rack there containing a variety pack of hose washers strung on a tag like a necklace. You should be able to find one that fits in that assortment.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

welcome millermw2
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

:W :W :W :W :W :W :W :W
WECOME!

what do you mean by "the former" ? is it the thing that conects the pipe to the pump?
answer me wen you can!!
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by millermw2 »

Jelo wrote::W :W :W :W :W :W :W :W
WECOME!

what do you mean by "the former" ? is it the thing that conects the pipe to the pump?
answer me wen you can!!

Hi,

Steve asked a double question about the sealing problem I was having on my nozzle. He wanted to know if the cap and nozzle had a bad seal or the sealing of the nozzle to the female connector on the launcher. "The former" is a phrase used meaning the first part of the question asked. It is not part of the rocket. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Mike
rockets-in-brighton

millermw2 wrote:
Jelo wrote: what do you mean by "the former" ?
"The former" is a phrase used meaning the first part of the question asked. It is not part of the rocket.
My bad. I often forget that this is an international forum and there are people whose first language is not English.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

ty for clarifying it :mrgreen: i live on ireland so i speek english^^ jst im not very good with fancy exprestions as i only turned 15 today! happy birthday to me!!!!! :mrgreen:
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by millermw2 »

Happy birthday Anto :D I hope you have a good one.
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

Thanks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: yup got a brand new sony ericsson w705!!
i can use my old phone as a camera now :mrgreen:
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

Jelo wrote:Thanks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: yup got a brand new sony ericsson w705!!
i can use my old phone as a camera now :mrgreen:
as a onboard camera i meant
:mrgreen:
Anto'

always wear a raincoat