shoutbox / chatbox possible ?

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

shoutbox / chatbox possible ?

Post by andicirk »

just a quick question really and i dont know where to post this so ill do it here,

sometimes when im here there are a few others and i find myself wanting to say hi to everyone share a few thoughts etc , and not really wanting to hunt in the forums so i can pm the person or persons , so ,is there any chance that we can have a shoutbox or a chat box here ?

its just a thought , and as im tghinking aloud maybe if we could have a site suggestions forum , then i could post this in there

many thanks

andi
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: shoutbox / chatbox possible ?

Post by chriswaterrockets »

hey, that's a great idea!! Like on facebook...
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

andicirk wrote:just a quick question really and i dont know where to post this so ill do it here,

sometimes when im here there are a few others and i find myself wanting to say hi to everyone share a few thoughts etc , and not really wanting to hunt in the forums so i can pm the person or persons , so ,is there any chance that we can have a shoutbox or a chat box here ?

its just a thought , and as im tghinking aloud maybe if we could have a site suggestions forum , then i could post this in there

many thanks

andi
Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider adding that feature when we do the next forum software update (the current SW does not have that feature). We restrict the "memberlist" access to fight SPAM. (Spammers tend to register robots to forums and "harvest" the "memberlists" for email addresses to send their junk to). We just recently had one posting messages to the board (which we quickly delt with). So as you can see we work very hard to protect our members from SPAMMERS although it does sometimes create minor inconveniences at times.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's a great idea. I'd love to have a chatbox or something. Maybe we could even schedule a weekly chat or meeting here and everyone could sign in and we could have some friendly banter! I would love to see something like this added. I hope you guys upgrade the software soon!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

Maybe a water-rocket zone in "second life " ?

The one thing that I don´t like about the chat zone is that the messages aren´t retained (I think...).
So the info would be flying instead of being writted permanently in a thread.

Who mises the chat fails to gather info about new things.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

RaZias wrote:Maybe a water-rocket zone in "second life " ?

The one thing that I don´t like about the chat zone is that the messages aren´t retained (I think...).
So the info would be flying instead of being writted permanently in a thread.

Who mises the chat fails to gather info about new things.

my suggestion was to use a chat / shoutbox for the non important stuff, i think when ppl have important info they will post it in the forums , this was more for the human side , just to say hi ,hows life etc .... maybe some information would get saved from this , .... i just thought if a shout box is difficult then an irc link maybe the simplest solution , then we can chat away , most web browsers support irc without any problems and id be happy to help out in moderating the irc channel.....
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

just a quick one for admin ,

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/154

heres a possible shoutbox
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

andicirk wrote:just a quick one for admin ,

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/154

heres a possible shoutbox
Thanks for the link. I was investigating the possibility of adding a shoutbox to the forum. I think that RaZias has a valid point though. The temptation will be to use the "chatroom" instead of the regular forum. Those discussions would be lost. The advantage of the regular forum posting is that they are there for anyone to search in the future. A discussion about t-nozzles can be searched and added to in a future date by a new user. I do not know yet if there is a large demand for this yet. We have members which come from all over the world and are located in all different time zones. The result is a constant trickle of "online users" throughout the day. This tends to favor the "regular forum" format Private messages seem to be the best option for discussing private matters like bartering components. Lets wait some more to get more impressions from the members to see if this would be a good idea.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think we could give it a try and if people start using it instead of posting you could take it down. If we had a shoutbox, I would probably be online more often looking for people to talk with.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

after my abscence for a while , i still like the idea of an irc channel , one reason i think that it is useful would be bouncing ideas of each other in an immediate way ,this way firing those neurons a little faster......

also with irc you can log the discussions and then copy and paste it ....

andi
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

andicirk wrote:after my abscence for a while , i still like the idea of an irc channel , one reason i think that it is useful would be bouncing ideas of each other in an immediate way ,this way firing those neurons a little faster......

also with irc you can log the discussions and then copy and paste it ....

andi
As a quick experiment... if anyone is online right now, as of the timestamp of this reply, try this link...

http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc. ... el=%23test

Use your WRA2 forum name as your nick, and say Hi.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
rockets-in-brighton

Just for fun, andicirk has set up an IRC channel on esper.net called #WROCKET-CHAT

You can use the same IRC web client I linked to previously (mibbit.com) or any other IRC client of your choosing. I'll hang around there today to meet-and-greet.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
rockets-in-brighton

Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:Easy link:

http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc. ... ocket-chat
I hope they put in a shoutbox here. There's a lot more people visiting the forum in the last year than ever before. I think there's enough users for a shoutbox!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

i hope so soon, anywat just to say the irc channel is up and running , im in and out of there in the day ... so come say hello , and thanks to steve (rockets in brighton) for the help