Hello from Houston

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
pjohn1959
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Hello from Houston

Post by pjohn1959 »

I teach an aerospace engineering class at my high school. Just found this site while looking up some info on water rockets. I have done water rockets every year for the past 3 years, and the students love it. :D

Rockets and space are a passion of mine, as my father worked for NASA during the Mercury missions thru the shuttle. I try to pass that along to my students today, as I tell them that today's space exploration will effect their lives tremendoulsy over the next 40 to 50 years.

I am VERY interested in the current record of most consecutive launches. I need to find out more information about that...
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello from Houston

Post by Tim Chen »

pjohn1959 wrote:I teach an aerospace engineering class at my high school. Just found this site while looking up some info on water rockets. I have done water rockets every year for the past 3 years, and the students love it. :D

Rockets and space are a passion of mine, as my father worked for NASA during the Mercury missions thru the shuttle. I try to pass that along to my students today, as I tell them that today's space exploration will effect their lives tremendoulsy over the next 40 to 50 years.

I am VERY interested in the current record of most consecutive launches. I need to find out more information about that...
Hi pjohn1959 and welcome!

I think it's really cool to have someone connected with NASA on the forum!!! It must have been so amazing growing up in that era. It must be a little bit of a downer how things sort of lost momentum after the moon landings. I hope we can get things moving now with Ares I and V.

One question, what's the record about most consecutive launches? Is there a time limit, or can it be over years? I've been at this for a long time and probably have hundreds or even thousands of launches.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

pjohn1959 wrote:I teach an aerospace engineering class at my high school. Just found this site while looking up some info on water rockets. I have done water rockets every year for the past 3 years, and the students love it. :D

Welcome to the forum, hope you can visit often as we'd appreciate the opportunity to pick the brains of an aerospace engineer. Also great to have more people from my generation around here :)
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
rockets-in-brighton

Tim Chen wrote:
pjohn1959 wrote: I am VERY interested in the current record of most consecutive launches. I need to find out more information about that...
One question, what's the record about most consecutive launches? Is there a time limit, or can it be over years? I've been at this for a long time and probably have hundreds or even thousands of launches.
Did you mean the record for most simultaneous WR launches? See http://www.gottalaunch.com/. With any luck, we have one of those guys signed up here...
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
pjohn1959
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by pjohn1959 »

[quote="Tim Chen
One question, what's the record about most consecutive launches? Is there a time limit, or can it be over years? I've been at this for a long time and probably have hundreds or even thousands of launches.[/quote]

Steve has the web site.

Currently it's students from the Delft University of Technology (Netherlands), students from the Grotius College and friends launched 213 water rockets at the same time on June 19, 2009.
rockets-in-brighton

pjohn1959 wrote:[quote="Tim Chen
Steve has the web site.

Currently it's students from the Delft University of Technology (Netherlands), students from the Grotius College and friends launched 213 water rockets at the same time on June 19, 2009.[/quote]

Have to say I was disappointed that the "rockets" were just bare bottles, no fins or nosecones nor any attempt to make them fly straight or high. Personally, I think this record should stand as "most bottles launched", and "most water rockets launched" should still be open. On the other hand... Boyan Slat, who organised it, was 14 at the time. That's pretty impressive.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
pjohn1959
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by pjohn1959 »

Wow, didn't know it was like that. I guess that made it a lot quicker to organize than actually building a complete rocket. My hats off to the 14 year old who did this. That takes a lot of leadership and responsibility to organize an event like that. In reading their website, it sounds like they attempted 250 launches, so I guess they had several failures.

If I were to pursue this, it would be as a full bottle rocket, fins and all. I already have enough parts to do it, I would just need to organize 250 to 300 of our students to go for it. This may be my challenge for next year.