simple launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
floris2burn

simple launcher

Post by floris2burn »

Hey everyone,

A few years ago at a little familly party we started shooting water rockets using the old fasion method.

Then my uncle came up with this system for holding the bottles and releasing them in an easy way. I think this isn't found enywhere yet and I believe it should be shared with the world.

There's an image in the attachment;
It shows the 2 main individual parts on the left and the assembled launcher on the right.
The black line is the end of a bicycle break. We used to chop of half of a bicycle steer with the bell still attached to it.
The air supply is a tube with a normal tire valve that fits on your bicycle pump or compressor. (not shown in the image)
There's a black rubber O-ring around the metal in a small cut. And on top is a piece of plastic tube to prevent water entering the air supply and to keep the rocket launching in a straight line.

I hope you people like this. If it's not something new, then excuse me, but I'm new around here and didn't find enything like it so far.
Questions are welcome.
ninja_iga
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: simple launcher

Post by ninja_iga »

oh it's nice :)

you've got all the tools to make a good functional launcher :)

as a concept, it's bound to have a similar design somewhere.
the innovative part i can say is the bicycle cantilever bit :) thats definately the first time i saw this design.
Stanlley Tai

+6012-211-3039 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +6012-211-3039      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
STR
Stanlley Tai Rockets

Legion Paintball
events, supplies, design and manufacturer, training and consultation
play hard but play safe!
www.legionpaintball.org
floris2burn

Post by floris2burn »

My uncle made a few so far (for our family, and one i used for some project at school (though the teachers never watched it) ).
Enyhow, the lever holds the bottle realy good. With a good air pump and bottle you can get the pressures realy high. (yesterday we went to about 10-11 bar once)

And if you take the long one of the bycicle brake, you can stand at a pretty good range (aprox 2m). My little causins and nieces usually ring the bell before launching. With the rubber O-ring and plastic tube, no water gets spoiled.

We just need to start modifying our rockets now.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

The system you made is similiar to the Clark-Tie Cable system made in the 90´s, but he uses zip-tie heads to hold the bottle instead of the cantivler.

I am working in universal launcher adapter system to change from 9, 22 and 30 mm nozzle.

I will glue a metalic tube with an o-ring to a 9mm gardena nozzle.
So that way I can attach the metalic tube to a gardena launcher.
Then I have to figure out a way to keep the gardena nozzle in the launcher without being ejected.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

One thing...be careful with that house, I don´t know how much it can hold but I think it will be 8 bars the working pressure and maybe 16 bars the burst pressure.

Try buying a 20bars house, because with fiberglass tape you can reinforce a rocket up to 16 bars...and there will be a new class for 200 psi in case you are interested to compete.
floris2burn

Post by floris2burn »

I'm sorry, but what do you mean with "house"?
English isn't my native language.

Enyway, the pickture is not a recent one, my version of the launcher has these strips around the air tubes to hold it better. (I don't know their name but they are a metal version of the 'Cable ties', using a screwdriver to tighten them)
Nevertheless, our bicycle pump has this small manometre, but I don't realy trust it's accuracy. And it only goes to 11bar.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Nice clean design!

I think many people would like to hear how you make the groove to put the o-ring into the metal pipe. This step is what most people have trouble doing. If you have a method to do it easily I think that it would be a great help.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
floris2burn

Post by floris2burn »

I'll ask my uncle as soon as I see him.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

When I said "house" I meant "hose" that is the plastic tube that goes from the launcher to the air pump.
This tube must support at least 20 bars (it should be something writted on it saying the pressure), because if not it might blast near you.

When I talked about the clark tie cable I was talking about holding the bottle with the plastic cables instead the system you use.
See this site to know what is a clark tie cable launcher

http://wrockets.trib-design.com/MEM/NIC ... leased.jpg

Anyway, your holding system is better than the clark tie cable because it´s metalic instead of plastic that can brake.
floris2burn

Post by floris2burn »

When my uncle constructed these, he mentioned the method of those plastic cable ties when he was looking on the internet. It's construction is delicate, and a bit difficult.
We'll, he's a handy person. I think he made the cut on a lathe though. And not everyone got one of those.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

floris2burn wrote:When my uncle constructed these, he mentioned the method of those plastic cable ties when he was looking on the internet. It's construction is delicate, and a bit difficult.
We'll, he's a handy person. I think he made the cut on a lathe though. And not everyone got one of those.
You can make a water rocket launcher with an "o" ring like that without any fancy tools. The best tutorial you can find for this is on our friends U.S. Water Rockets' page: http://www.uswaterrockets.com/journa ... ial_Part_1

It's a cable tie launcher design that is easy to build and they give really detailed directions and tips.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise