Sabot WR

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Sabot WR

Post by RaZias »

Here is the Sabot application to a Water-rocket.

This will allow to reinforce during the launching, the reinforcement will be ejected because only the surrounding tube is keeping it in place.

By being released the rocket won´t have to travel with the travel of the reinforcement.

It won´t blast after the reinforcement ejection because it has already a 22m hole to make the air escape.

There are 3 issues:

1 - Shape the Sabot around the rocket, avoiding making micro spaces between the Sabot´s and rocket´s
surfaces.
What material to use ? A liquid that would dry around the rocket making a plastic shell ?
Where I could find it ?

2 - Drag force from the friction between the Sabot and the tube

3 - The tube shape must match the Sabot diameter.
Sabot-rocket.jpg
Sabot-rocket.jpg (76.36 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Research and Development is the soul of WR
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Sabot WR

Post by Brian »

There are 3 issues:

1 - Shape the Sabot around the rocket, avoiding making micro spaces between the Sabot´s and rocket´s
surfaces.
What material to use ? A liquid that would dry around the rocket making a plastic shell ?
Where I could find it ?
maybe coat a bottle with carbon fibre then cut it in 2 haves or more?
2 - Drag force from the friction between the Sabot and the tube
the rocket can expand into the tube then shrink out after launch.
or the tube can go up with the rocket holding the 2 haves then when the pressure is lower the rocket will shrink and the tube would slip off and then the reinforcing.
3 - The tube shape must match the Sabot diameter.
maybe shrink a larger bottles cylindrical section with hot water. I've found that 75 degrees C is a good temperature to shrink bottles.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w