Topeak JoeBlow Ace

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Topeak JoeBlow Ace

Post by RaZias »

Was anyone already tried this pump:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Floor-Pumps/JoeBlowAce

I know that there is already a tread about this but I wanted to have some conclusions.

That it really achive 260 psi ?
Research and Development is the soul of WR
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Re: Topeak JoeBlow Ace

Post by thampson »

I have that exact pump. Its a good pump although I have never been over 150psi on it.... yet :)

Its best feature in my opinion is the three stage selector on top which allows the first 60psi to be pumped up quickly, then the next 60 longer but easier, then the last 120psi slowly but again not difficult.

-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

If you are thinking going to the max pressure you can reinforce the bottle either with fiber-glass.

With nylon duct tape I only went to 180 psi (in fact the manometer was so wrong that I tought being 230 psi).

I am realy waiting to see the max pressure of that pump :es:
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

I've been waiting for someone to try one of these things to a nice high pressure and give a report on how it works. I'm tempted to get one but wish more people could review it in detail.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
thampson

Post by thampson »

Hi Guys,

I have a 2L double walled (triple in the middle) bottle to hydro test this weekend.

I will try to go beyond 150psi this time. I had a leak in the hose/gardena connector when I went to 150psi on it in the last test, this is what stopped the test. I will report back.

Apart from the pressure anything else you want to know about it ??

-todd-
HHWRSA
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

thampson wrote:Hi Guys,

I have a 2L double walled (triple in the middle) bottle to hydro test this weekend.

I will try to go beyond 150psi this time. I had a leak in the hose/gardena connector when I went to 150psi on it in the last test, this is what stopped the test. I will report back.

Apart from the pressure anything else you want to know about it ??

-todd-
I would like the time you take to pressurise the bottle, just to know if it takes to long or it takes to much effort to pump it.

You said your bottle has triple reinforcement in the middle, I just want to say that the weakest point in a bottle is the throat and the zone here it connects to the cone.
thampson

Post by thampson »

I will be doing a hydrostatic test so this type of test requires a lot less effort (as compared to filling with just air) in pumping it up as the water doesnt compress and the pressure rises very quickly. Last pressure test to 150psi took less than 1 minute and i did use all three settings on the pump selector.

I have never seen a bottle break at the throat yet. Maybe its the bottles we use here in Australia, but this is usually the strongest part of the bottle as its thickest. I have seen bottles rip across the middle and blow the end out so far.

The reason its triple re-enforced in the middle is that the inside bottle has 3/4 of the bottom section of a bottle and 3/4 of the top section of a bottle put over the top of the inner one, so only the middle section is 3 layers thick.

-todd-
HHWRSA
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thampson wrote:I will be doing a hydrostatic test so this type of test requires a lot less effort (as compared to filling with just air) in pumping it up as the water doesnt compress and the pressure rises very quickly. Last pressure test to 150psi took less than 1 minute and i did use all three settings on the pump selector.

I have never seen a bottle break at the throat yet. Maybe its the bottles we use here in Australia, but this is usually the strongest part of the bottle as its thickest. I have seen bottles rip across the middle and blow the end out so far.

The reason its triple re-enforced in the middle is that the inside bottle has 3/4 of the bottom section of a bottle and 3/4 of the top section of a bottle put over the top of the inner one, so only the middle section is 3 layers thick.

-todd-
I have had bottles broken at the throat after they blast, but I think the bottle has burst elsewhere and the force of the blast breaks the throat because it is held stationary by the launcher.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
thampson

Post by thampson »

Hi guys, I tried a hydrostatic test of my re-inforced bottle today with my Topeak JoeBlow Pump.

The pump performed fine, no problems, but I stopped the test at 180psi as I am more concerned with the air hose and connections blowing and hitting something ie: me, than I am with the pump breaking or the bottle rupturing.

Again, the best thing with the pump is the three stage selector, ie: pumping up to 60psi very quickly, 60 to 120psi a bit slower, then from 120psi on the last selector up to 180psi where I stopped the test. Going from 120psi to 180 I could have done with 1 hand, it just takes a while.

I am looking to replace the airhose, connectors and abort valve before I test at any higher pressures.

I did take some safety precautions, ie: safety glasses as well as typing the hose in 4 places to bricks in case they let go.

The reinforced bottle performed well so I will be looking to join 3 re-inforced bottles like this in the near future

Here are some pics of todays test

-todd-
Attachments
180psi
180psi
102_0692.jpg (383.81 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Cage to test bottle in, a 20L container of water on top
Cage to test bottle in, a 20L container of water on top
102_0691.jpg (713.09 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Tied the air hose sections to a brick in case it separated under high pressure
Tied the air hose sections to a brick in case it separated under high pressure
102_0690.jpg (568.87 KiB) Viewed 52 times
HHWRSA
thampson

Post by thampson »

Forgot to add it took about 1 minute to pump to 180psi. This is a hydro test though so bottle filled with incompressible water

-todd-
HHWRSA
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

This is great news guys. You have found a low cost and portable method of achieving high pressures while complying with the rules. :WRA2: People in the past expressed concerns that high pressure compressors were either too expensive or the power requirements made them not portable. Scuba tanks were introduced a few years ago but availability is always not the best in inland areas.

Todd, Good idea on using a cage and halting the test when you neared the rated pressures for your hose. The bricks may not help either as the hose may flail if the end bursts.

Keep up the good work. :D
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

I have a Zéfal Blizzard, when I bought it it had a paper saying "16 bar - 240 psi" (I can see also in the manometer 16 bar) but if you go to the site it says "14 bar - 200 psi".

http://shop.campleaders.com/brands/zefa ... -pump.html

I tested until 11 bar - 160 psi, I had fear that the aluminium pump might explode (I don´t know if it´s possible) so I stopped...altough I had a full face bike helmet, gloves and a wood square between my legs and the pump...

Anyway it´s hard to go from 9 to 11 bar.

I use a 20 bar hose and metalic components. And that is a advise for everyone, if you wanna make a launcher think in the future...buy first a high pressure house...otherwise you will make a low pressure launcher and then a high pressure one...twice the money :(