I want a strong electric motor

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I want a strong electric motor

Post by RaZias »

I was wondering where I can get a strong electric motor to replace the ones of those 12v compressors.

A 12V would be nice.

Any electric engineer around here that could advise me ?

Do some devices carry this type of motors so I can take them out ?
Research and Development is the soul of WR
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: I want a strong electric motor

Post by RaZias »

I disasembled an electric air fan to see its electric motor.
The fan works at same voltage gaved from house plugs so it´s not a 12V electric motor.

I won´t use this fan but I will buy one to change the 12v motor of the small compressor.
air fan motor.jpg
air fan motor.jpg (211.52 KiB) Viewed 79 times
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

What about a motor from a cordless drill?

Those have lots of torque and run on DC voltages between 9 and 24v.

By disassembling the drill you will also gain a good supply of gears.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

I also tough in puting a bycicle cranks in the compressor so it could be manualy powered :roll:
But I think doing the work with the hands would be hard.

I also could put the compressor in a wood board and in another extreme of the board a suport for the byke cranks, then the compressor would be connected to the bike cranks with a chain.

I would just simply connect a small chair to the board so it would be above the compressor.
After sitting it would be a matter of cycling :roll:
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

RaZias wrote:I was wondering where I can get a strong electric motor to replace the ones of those 12v compressors.

A 12V would be nice.

Any electric engineer around here that could advise me ?

Do some devices carry this type of motors so I can take them out ?

There was a recent episode of Mythbusters where they investigated "super hero" Myths. One myth they worked on was to prove that a handheld device could be used to shoot a grappling hook into a wall and could retract and pull a man up the wall, like Batman does.

In the episode, Jamie used a high speed electric motor and a reduction gear to increase the torque. He was able to hoist himself quite easily with his device. You should consider something similar. Look for a 12V powered electric router for the motor. It will be very high speed. Then find a reduction gear to multiply the torque while decreasing the RPM.

This should be the best approach.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

RaZias wrote:I also tough in puting a bycicle cranks in the compressor so it could be manualy powered :roll:
But I think doing the work with the hands would be hard.

I also could put the compressor in a wood board and in another extreme of the board a suport for the byke cranks, then the compressor would be connected to the bike cranks with a chain.

I would just simply connect a small chair to the board so it would be above the compressor.
After sitting it would be a matter of cycling :roll:
Using the bicycle drivetrain is a good idea. If you can find a multi-speed bike it would be even better as you could change to a lower gear as the pressure got higher and it was harder to pump.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

plenty of choice for an elecric motor at towerhobbies, a radio control model shop :) brushed motors tend to be able to run in water, brushless are way more efficient but less resistant to water, make your choise!

BTW, great to be back :)
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Jelo wrote:plenty of choice for an elecric motor at towerhobbies, a radio control model shop :) brushed motors tend to be able to run in water, brushless are way more efficient but less resistant to water, make your choise!

BTW, great to be back :)
Welcome back Jelo!

Hey... another motor that works great would be a motor from a car seat adjuster. You should be able to find them for a low cost at a salvage yard. Some of them have a nice worm gear and others have a cable pulling gearbox. You can use these to pull a release or open a valve remotely because they have a lot of torque.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison