First Launcher

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
Andrew Leigh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

First Launcher

Post by Andrew Leigh »

Hi,

about to embark on my first launcher build and came upon this piece of redundant measuring kit about to be junked.

Perhaps its only me, but can anyone else see a launcher of functionality and beauty rising from this piece of kit?

It has a cast aluminum base which is not to heavy, but heavy enough. Two levelling feet at the rear and a rounded machined surface as a launch pad. Im real stoked about this find, think I will spend more time on this project as it deserves machined components methinks.

Given that I have access to machining facilities what type of launch system would you all recommend? I am competent on most workshop equipment, lathe, milling machine etc.

Any suggestions for this noob, before I start modifying, would be appreciated, I don't know where my newfound interest in water rockets will take me but knowing me it will end with more than a single bottle.

Regards
Andrew

PS: That is a 2l bottle for scale purposes
Attachments
Launcher.gif
Launcher.gif (515.94 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: First Launcher

Post by Tim Chen »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I think you should build a gardena launcher. The base you designed looks like a good stable platform but the post is off center so it might tip over under the stress of a full bore mouthe nozzle like a clark cable tie style launcher. A gardena uses a smaller mouth so it would not thrust so hard and tip over.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Andrew Leigh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Andrew Leigh »

Hi Tim,

Not too sure I understand why the platform would tilt. Not having seen a rocket launch I am not familiar with the nature of the forces involved.

Indulge me a little. All that would remain of the existing structure would be the platform and he vertical rod. I was planning on brackets that would extend away from the upright towards the round platform, allowing the rocket to be positioned over the centre of the platform, this way the nozzle would be centred over the middle of the platform. The force would therefore be directed directly over the middle of the round "launch platform".

Is it on this basis you saying that the platform could tilt over?

Regards
Andrew
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

It has a tendence for tilting since when working with bigger rockets they will weight more because the will have more water inside.

Imagine a 3L rocket, it has 1L of water that will be injected at 110 psi, that is 7kg/cm2 of force.
I don´t know the area of a 9 mm gardena nozzle but you get the picture.

It´s like a 1kg of weight (1L of water) being trowed with the force of 7Kg against your launcher.

------------------------

Do you want a stable launcher ? I am working in a "Spike Design" :D .
I will put a vertical hollow tube below the launcher, it will be screwable to it.
That tube will be the "Spike" because it will be sticked in the soil.

The "Spike" is 60cmx3cm hollow tube.

It will be detachable because after each use I will have to clean all the soil out of the tube... :?
Research and Development is the soul of WR