Hi from Georgia

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
mboykin

Hi from Georgia

Post by mboykin »

Hi, I joined to get some ideas and information to help my son with his science fair project. He wants to do a water rocket and test the effects of different combinations of water/air pressure/foam. we have launched a few bottles with a thrown together launcher made of scrap pvc, but it requires someone pumping vigorously while i hold the bottle. the next step is to build a real launcher with a safe reliable release mechanism and a pressure gauge. ive browsed around a bit and yall have a lot of good info here. hopefully with your help we can win.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Georgia

Post by WRA2 »

mboykin wrote:Hi, I joined to get some ideas and information to help my son with his science fair project. He wants to do a water rocket and test the effects of different combinations of water/air pressure/foam. we have launched a few bottles with a thrown together launcher made of scrap pvc, but it requires someone pumping vigorously while i hold the bottle. the next step is to build a real launcher with a safe reliable release mechanism and a pressure gauge. ive browsed around a bit and yall have a lot of good info here. hopefully with your help we can win.
Welcome to the forum :W
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

:W
Cable ties are a good way to hold down a rocket during pressurization. maybe search "clark cable tie launcher" in google. an air compressor can save you from pumping vigorously. you could buy a pump with a built in gauge.
you two should post your results of your tests.
good luck in the science fair!
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

mboykin wrote:Hi, I joined to get some ideas and information to help my son with his science fair project. He wants to do a water rocket and test the effects of different combinations of water/air pressure/foam. we have launched a few bottles with a thrown together launcher made of scrap pvc, but it requires someone pumping vigorously while i hold the bottle. the next step is to build a real launcher with a safe reliable release mechanism and a pressure gauge. ive browsed around a bit and yall have a lot of good info here. hopefully with your help we can win.
In addition to the suggestions already made, you may want to look at launchers which use a gardena hose quick connect. The connector is a quick release for a garden hose, which holds very well and releases with a single pull. Many people just starting out like these launchers because of their simplicity and ease of construction. If you get ambitious later on, you can switch over to one of the more complex launcher designs. The gardena launcher would get you up and running very quickly.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
mboykin

Post by mboykin »

Thanks for the tips. I am looking at using the gardenia connectors. I actually have some already from my water hose, i just need to get an adapter to connect to the bottle/rocket.
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Post by thampson »

A standard metal clamp is the easiest way to connect the gardena connector to a hose.

There are quote a few pics of this on our launcher on our website. Use the tag cloud with the key word launcher or use the search function for launcher

Good luck with the build and flights

-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au