Guide Rails

Discussion about Compressors, hose, pipes, fittings, launchers, release mechanisms, and launch tubes.
chemdude

Guide Rails

Post by chemdude »

I built a 10 liter rocket and when it launched, it immediately pitched over and a tree peeled the fins off. I need help for a rocket launcher stabalizer.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guide Rails

Post by WRA2 »

chemdude wrote:I built a 10 liter rocket and when it launched, it immediately pitched over and a tree peeled the fins off. I need help for a rocket launcher stabalizer.

What size nozzle are you using? Usually unstable flight like you describe is a sign that the nozzle is too small. A larger nozzle will enable the rocket to fly faster thus achieving stable flight.

Have you tried a launch tube? Launch tubes make guide rails unnecessary.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Guide Rails

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

chemdude wrote:I built a 10 liter rocket and when it launched, it immediately pitched over and a tree peeled the fins off. I need help for a rocket launcher stabalizer.
Either the nozzle is too small for the volume of the rocket, or the pressure is too low for the size of the rocket. If you are at maximum pressure your rocket can take, then you need a launch tube or an external guide. You can make an external guide out of metal tubing or pipes or even out of wood. The way you make it is really not that critical, as long as it doesn't pinch the rocket. You can enhance it when you have a working design by adding teflon tape to the surfaces that touch the rocket. Teflon will make it nearly frictionless.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison