pvc rocket

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: pvc rocket

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

dongfang wrote:Hi,

I wouldn't be too concerned about PVC weakening over time. None of the many people I know who build potato cannons of it had any problems with weakening.

I also once found a guide on PVC piping on a Danish manufacturer's web site, and translated it (I have the same username there). Their experience was that PVC tubing was still OK after 8-10 years of outdoor storage / use.

It's interesting, rockets of PVC! I used to have lots of it, and I still have lots of fittings. How do you make a rocket nozzle on a PVC tube? I can imagine something with e.g. a 50-->20 mm reducer, but these are hard to find, or?

Are your tubes marked PN10 or PN16? (that's pressure ratings in bar. The PN16 tubing is much heavier than PN16. It's like the "Schedule 40" vs. "Schedule 80" difference in the US).

Regards
Soren
There are some places in the USA where PVC is not allowed to be used in plumbing because it has a degradation over time. There are specific types of PVC with UV stabilizers added that are made for exterior use as well. As long as people take care to use well below the rated pressure, there should be little danger of explosion. If people are using reinforced rockets they should take care to avoid PVC.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison