pneumatic chute deployment

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
MrJakeFehr
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

pneumatic chute deployment

Post by MrJakeFehr »

Hi everyone this is my first post on the forum. UsWaterRockets told me about this forum I am impressed by how many people launch water rockets, this is a great place to exchange ideas! I have developed a reliable chute deployment system that uses two air chambers and a pressure bleed orifice that is totally adjustable. Maybe someone else can make use of this design. Check it out on my YouTube channel MrJakeFehr

[youtube][/youtube]
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: pneumatic chute deployment

Post by arjan »

That looks very good. Looks like it works like a crushing sleeve stager. can you post some detailed pictures, i would like to know how it exactly works.

-arjan
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
MrJakeFehr
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by MrJakeFehr »

You are correct it is a crushing sleeve stager, with a controllable leak. The first picture shows the top air chamber that blows off the nose cone to build this I took a smaller pet bottle (I think that's what you call it) cut the bottom off then placed it over a tin can 2 1/4 " diameter then apply heat with a heat gun at first it wrinkles horribly but with with enough heat it takes the shape of the can nicely. The top half is the bottom of a pet bottle just add a little tape to the can so that it will fit over the piece you just built once shrunken.Almost forgot to mention apply lube to the can first otherwise it wont come off easy after. Then I glued the pieces together with pl premium. The tube in the picture is glued in also to prevent any chance of leakage the top chamber cant have any leaks at all. Picture 2+3 The crushing sleeve I think the picture explains that I chose not to use any metal connectors so this one is glued together, Picture 4- special note on Schroeder valve I had to replace the original valve with one from a compression tester which has a very light spring, otherwise I couldn't get enough pressure into top chamber. Lower chamber same as top except I used two bottle tops, to form chamber.Picture 5-coupler two bottle caps glued and wrapped with plastic from bottle. The gasket in the coupler is tiny just a pinhole I found the delay is easier to set with rubber bands around the crushing sleeve but that would depend on the size of chamber you use. I also found that its important to lube the sleeve. I test the delay before each launch with a coupler I built using the splice method I described.
Attachments
My biggest rocket
My biggest rocket
IMG_0146[1].JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 189 times
system attached to rocket
system attached to rocket
IMG_0145[1].JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 189 times
picture 5
picture 5
IMG_0144[1].JPG (2.36 MiB) Viewed 189 times
picture 4
picture 4
IMG_0143[1].JPG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 189 times
picture 3
picture 3
IMG_0142[1].JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 189 times
picture 2
picture 2
IMG_0141[1].JPG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 189 times
picture 1
picture 1
IMG_0140[1].JPG (2.65 MiB) Viewed 189 times
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum!

Your system is really well done! Congratulations on the design!
Willem
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Willem »

That's a nice system. I am however using the piston ejection system aircommandrockets made, working so far :D