MD80 clone tweeked

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Muzza
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

MD80 clone tweeked

Post by Muzza »

Just received my replacement MD80 clone (from DealExtreme in Hong Kong) and have noticed a couple of changes since the last one which I got about 6 months ago.
Firstly it actually works as a webcamera now if you plug it in, my old one just shut down and had to be reset if you pushed the mode button while it was plugged in. Not really that useful, but does mean I can plug it in and check and adjust the alignment "live" rather than have to shoot a test video, downloaded it, adjust and repeat.
The other thing is the date setting tag.txt file has changed format (only in the camera, the instructions still are the same) It now generates the file itself in the memory, you go in and change the figures and re save it and updates the camera. All the info is now on 1 line, unlike the old camera which had it on 3, and if you didn't have the right number of spaces in the right place it would reject the time update.
Still looks like no way to turn the date off, apart from the hack detailed elsewhere here, not something I'm in a big hurry to do, given my soldering skills, I'd be more likely to wreck it than fix it.

Just need to get it mounted and wait for a weather window to launch it

Muzza
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: MD80 clone tweeked

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Muzza wrote:Just received my replacement MD80 clone (from DealExtreme in Hong Kong) and have noticed a couple of changes since the last one which I got about 6 months ago.
Firstly it actually works as a webcamera now if you plug it in, my old one just shut down and had to be reset if you pushed the mode button while it was plugged in. Not really that useful, but does mean I can plug it in and check and adjust the alignment "live" rather than have to shoot a test video, downloaded it, adjust and repeat.
The other thing is the date setting tag.txt file has changed format (only in the camera, the instructions still are the same) It now generates the file itself in the memory, you go in and change the figures and re save it and updates the camera. All the info is now on 1 line, unlike the old camera which had it on 3, and if you didn't have the right number of spaces in the right place it would reject the time update.
Still looks like no way to turn the date off, apart from the hack detailed elsewhere here, not something I'm in a big hurry to do, given my soldering skills, I'd be more likely to wreck it than fix it.

Just need to get it mounted and wait for a weather window to launch it

Muzza

This is interesting. The upgrade procedure may not work if they changed the hardware. We will need to investigate this further!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison