Fin material

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Fin material

Post by Mark Chen »

Estes I think it was who used to make a model with tubular fins like that and I can remember wanting one so bad when I was a kid but I had no money to buy one, so I made my own out of the cardboard tubes that they mail posters in. I even made a nosecone from balsa wood by whittling it with a carving knofe and sanding it smooth. It took forever to get it right. That brings back fond memories! :oops:
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

I think it was named Totally Tubular. If not it would be a good name for a rocket with tube fins. Later Reno
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

reno1 wrote:I think it was named Totally Tubular. If not it would be a good name for a rocket with tube fins. Later Reno
That was it!!!! You got it, man!!!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Post by thampson »

Christian

Corrugated plastic is a good material to use. You can always glue fins to ahve double thickness. I use single thickness and they havent failed yet due to a flight :)

http://wrocket.hampson.net.au/?p=198

cya
-todd-
HHWRSA
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thampson wrote:Christian

Corrugated plastic is a good material to use. You can always glue fins to ahve double thickness. I use single thickness and they havent failed yet due to a flight :)

http://wrocket.hampson.net.au/?p=198

cya
-todd-
HHWRSA
We just held our elections and the groundskeepers where I work just collected all of the political signs from the parking lot and threw them in the dumpster. Some of them were made of that corrugated plastic you speak of. I've got about 6 pieces about 20x30 inches in size. That should last a good long time.

This is a good way to get material for no cost. Everyone should check around for discarded signs.

I bet some of the people running for office might have leftover signs you could ask them for. Tell them you voted for them and want a keepsake. :lol:
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

That's a good idea. I will check around and see if anyone wants to contribute. Thanks!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

I saw people stealing the signs before the elections. Water rocketry must be getting really big these days. :twisted: :twisted:
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

Cloud Dancers wrote:I saw people stealing the signs before the elections. Water rocketry must be getting really big these days. :twisted: :twisted:
Or just politics getting really nasty these days!
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

i have found this thread very useful thank you
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by TDFwaterrockets »

hi chriswaterrocket

i like that idea for the fins and i have tried it, they work really well and are easy to replace if they get damaged or lost. those types of fins are really strong and don't bend!

Great idea!!!

TDFwaterrockets

http://tdfwaterrockets.blogspot.com/
Alex

Post by Alex »

Balsa Wood is the awseme. I'm using it right now. sweet. sand it down into a nice cshape, very strong, no bends. very light. really handy
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

Alex wrote:Balsa Wood is the awseme. I'm using it right now. sweet. sand it down into a nice cshape, very strong, no bends. very light. really handy
Here is my tip: if you make thin sections or sand air foil shapes or delicate parts from balsa you can paint them with CA glue and it will make it very strong so it will not damage so easily.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Indeed. They work awseme for model rockets.
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.